“Boy, do I need to update!!”
Review of Restaurant Martin

Restaurant Martin
Reserve with OpenTable
Restaurant Martin is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #45 of 578 Restaurants in Santa Fe
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Paseo de Peralta
Transit: The Railrunner from Albuquerque stops a few short blocks from our front door and Santa Fe's public bus system runs right past our restaurant.
Reviewed January 23, 2014

I was just notified by Trip Advisor that one of my older reviews had received a "helpful" vote. When I looked at the review, it was from 2010 and not long after Martin opened. I was appalled to read that I said the service was nothing special. We have returned many many times since that first visit, and the food is consistently wonderful and unique. Martin continues to combine ingredients and flavors in the most interesting and absolutely delicious ways with often amazing results. His sauces are obviously prepared and reduced for hours to develop such deep and rich flavor profiles. But the service!!! We are treated so wonderfully every time we walk in the door. We live several hours away from Santa Fe, and only visit Restaurant Martin two or three times a year, yet you would think we are best friends or family when we do get there. Jennifer, one of the owners, always greets us warmly and stops by our table to make sure everything is alright, and we have come to adore their manager, Graciela, so much that even though we love the food and are treated so well, it is a huge disappointment to us if we dine there on a night she is not working. I also noted in my first review that it is a smaller space, but now they are expanding the restaurant (a sure sign that the food and service is top notch in a tough, competitive market) and that will be open soon, we understand.
I am glad someone tagged my first review and prompted me to look at it so that I can provide much more current information and share that this has become one of our very favorite restaurants over the years and to correct some of the comments I see about poor service or snobby staff. We have experienced exactly the opposite. If you love excellent food, good wine, and are looking for a lovely night out with your special companion, this is definitely a place you should go!!

5  Thank JEB-PK

Reviewed January 2, 2014

t'was the last day of 2013 and we wanted a delicious meal to conclude the year. restaurant martin did not disappoint. the chef's choice: half sandwich and half cup of soup. i chose the chicken and green chili stew/soup and beef tenderloin on sourdough. more stew than soup, the chicken and chili was a symphony of flavors and textures with each ingredient contributing its own special nuance. simply divine. the spice was just right. likewise the tenderloin was cooked medium rare as requested, nestled among crisp lettuce, ripe tomato, pungent swiss cheese and toasted sourdough bread. superb with a bottle of red Bordeaux. thank you chef and happy new year.

5  Thank tbplaw
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We really enjoyed the food at Restaurant Martin. Star, our server was attentive and friendly.

After that, things were a bit "off."

Restaurant Martin seems to have a bit of an identity crisis. Their food is upscale- well prepared, great variety and well presented. But other aspects seem to conflict with the food. The "decor" and atmosphere are of a much less "fine" eating establishment (think vinyl booths) and tables that felt more like a chain restaurant than one with this level of food.

As I said, our server, Star, was fabulous. The "maitre 'd" however, seemed to be rushed and hurried. Our reservation was at 6:00 pm. The next reservation was at 7:30. (How do I know, you ask? They had the table set for that reservation when we walked in and had to reset the table.) No big deal, but when it is 7:00 and we are already being asked (twice) if they can run the bill for us, you start to feel like they are trying to turn over the table too quickly. We were not "dallying" by any means, yet felt rushed to leave the table. Bummer.

To sum up- very good food. But, Restaurant Martin needs to figure out who they are trying to be.

4  Thank jeldenbailey
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We had an innovative,delicious lunch. The service was gracious and skilled. We stayed for two and a half lunch and never felt hurried.

6  Thank Melissa C
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Upscale, good new mexico selection, excellent wine list, one of Santa Fe best but expensive. Happens to be next to B&B

3  Thank BJJ73