“Great Fun, lots of food, wonderful afternoon”

Santa Fe School of Cooking
More attraction details
Owner description: Come discover the rich culinary history of the "City Different” at the Santa Fe School of Cooking, the authority on Southwestern cuisine. The School offers a variety of authentic classes and events, including demonstration and hands on cooking classes, restaurant walking tours, and a regional market. Celebrating over 23 years in business!
Reviewed September 23, 2009

Did the cultural tour - started with enchiladas at the school and moved on to Los Mayas, La Boca, Native American Museum and Coyote Cafe.

Our guide Rocky was excellent - funny and knowledgeable and went out of his way to be sure we were having a good time. It is obvious that he knows and likes the various chefs we visited.

Dave, one of the owners of the Sante Fe cooking school also with us - a great down to earth guy.

Had 20 on the tour but did not feel crowded - and was fun talking to them.

Only three minor complaints. First my husband was a bit disappointed that chef at Coyote Cafe did not talk to us (at others they came out and told us about the dish and some information about the restaurant), second that we could not do it our first night in Sante Fe so we could return to some of the restaurants, and third we were so full from the tour we could not eat dinner that night.

Yes, is expensive, but still a fun experience.

Food was great -

in 91 reviews
"noe"
in 51 reviews

Reviewed September 7, 2009

I attended the restaurant walk through the cooking school. We tried some food inside the cooking school and then visited four other restaurants in the area. The tour is expensive yet the school is very generous in providing alcohol and large servings. No one is going to go home hungry on this tour. You do get what you pay for.

The reason I rated this experience as average is that I am a vegetarian. I was told that at one stop there was no vegetarian substitute, this I was fine with but aside from that I would be accommodated.

Unfortunately being a vegetarian definitely ruined the food tour for me as appropriate substitutes were not made for me.

At one restaurant the whole group tried this most amazing dish, which was stuffed with meat and had a walnut sauce with pomegranates on top. A complex dish that looked wonderful. Unfortunately I got a grilled cactus with tomato salad. It was horrible, one bite and I couldn't eat any more. My dish lacked the complexity of the dish everyone else was eating. Those around me were surprised with my dish as was I and said how easy it would be been for their dish to be made vegetarian. Aside from that the guitar playing and the hospitality of the restaurant patron was wonderful.

The Spanish tapas was the other place in which I was not catered for. It was surf and turf dish; I received the surf part which of course being a vegetarian I could not eat. I got some cheese slices, gherkins and sauce as a substitute. This really was not much of a substitute at all.

So for 2 of the 5 stops I did not receive a meal that was of the same standard as my other tour mates and for 1 stop I received no food at all. If a tour wants to accept a vegetarian then it need to not penalise them for being one. They should receive the same standard of food as everyone else and shouldn’t miss out on anything. If you are not a vegetarian then I highly recommend this tour but I unfortunately did not receive good value for money nor an apology which it seemed obvious to myself and those around me that I deserved.

Reviewed August 21, 2009

We just got back from Santa Fe. While there, we went to a cooking demonstration/wine tasting at the Estrella del Norte Vineyard. This was definitely the highlight of our trip. The owners of the Vineyard were very friendly, helpful and professional. The cooking demonstration by "Rocky" was educational and fun. The food turned out delicious too. This demonstration was supposed to last for 3 hours but was closer to 4 hours so we ran a little short of time for what we had planned for the rest of the day but it was well worth it. The Vineyard is a beautiful, relaxing environment and it was a joy to spend our afternoon there.

Reviewed July 27, 2009

My wife and I attemded the fine dining tour this afternoon. There were 16 people in our group and we were able to sample fare from 4 of the best restaurants in Santa Fe, as well as a dish from our host. While the event may seem a bit pricey my wife and I thought it was worth the cost. We sampled dishes that we otherwise would not have ordered, and wine pairings were provided at each stop. This tour provided a nice overview of the regional cuisine and was a pleasant afternoon diversion.

1  Thank westks