“fun thing to do in Santa Fe”

Santa Fe School of Cooking
More attraction details
Owner description: Come discover the rich culinary history of the "City Different” at the Santa Fe School of Cooking, the authority on Southwestern cuisine. The School offers a variety of authentic classes and events, including demonstration and hands on cooking classes, restaurant walking tours, and a regional market. Celebrating over 23 years in business!
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“fun thing to do in Santa Fe”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2012

we had such a pleasant time at the cooking school watching the demonstation and eating the food. we learned a lot about southwest cooking and even used a few of the recipes at Christmas.

Visited November 2011

23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Try the cooking lessons”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2012

Great lessons on how to make Tortillas with Chili. We went with all the steps including the possibility of taking notes and very clear hands on practice. The cook we had also provided us some useful tips on what to do if you don't have the necessary tools with you.
I am Italian and I know how to cook.

Visited July 2011
3 Thank UnEspertoViaggiatore
Dallas, Texas
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Fantastic Activity in Santa Fe”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2012

We actually did two things at the Santa Fe School of Cooking this week. One was a cooking class. Actually, it was a demo (we didn't cook, but we got the recipes). Chef Lois kept us entertained for about 2 hours while demonstrating chile rellenos (way more trouble than I would ever attempt!), callebecitos (more my speed), flour tortillas (will definitely try this at home) and soapapillas. We ate everything they may, delicious!

The School of Cooking will be moving, so the new facility will be different (bigger, I think) but this location was great.

Then two days later, we did a Restaurant Tour. They started at the cooking school with an intro and an appetizer (chicken tamales). Michelle was very entertaining. Then we went to 4 restaurants (wine at each stop, including the cooking school): Rio Chama, Tanta Lucci, Santacafe, and La Boca. At each restaurant, there was a presentation--some did tours, all talked about the restaurant's history and food--each a little different. Each served a small plate of food and a wine. After 3 hours I was pretty stuffed (and I didn't eat and drink it all!) and had 4 new restaurants I wanted to spend more time at! Plus, you were walking between them and didn't feel quite so sluggish.

This is something we've wanted to do for years--will definitely do both activities again. It's very hard to hit all the restaurants in Santa Fe, going to the Tour makes it a little more manageable!

I would say there were no children on the tour--not even sure they are allowed, since alcohol is served. There was a 14 year old who was welcomed to the cooking school class. But generally, this would not be a good activity for kids--they would be bored and likely disruptive.

1 Thank NTXTravel
Saint Louis, Missouri
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“June 2012”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2012

Had a group of 20+ and thus had a private event. It was a remarkable experience and I ate foods I never thought I would and they were remarkable. The chefs were engaging and personable and we had a wonderful time. Highly recommend this experience!

Rartian, NJ
75 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 81 helpful votes
“Demo cooking class was a fun time”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2012

Took the New Mexican Tradional III class with a friend while on vacation and really enjoyed the experience. Chef Deena was knowledgeable and entertaining. She provided background about the cuisine, ingredients and helpful cooking tips. The resulting meal was delicious. Everyone was friendly and the atmosphere was relaxed. All in all a very fun activity in Santa Fe.