“Great comfort food in a lively room with open kitchen” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Galisteo Bistro

Galisteo Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Galisteo Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #25 of 556 Restaurants in Santa Fe
Cuisines: Contemporary, American
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Between Water & Alameda
Transit: Bus stop at end of the block; Railrunner station nearby.
Description: Galisteo Bistro is chef/owned by the original founders, Robert & Marge Chickering, featuring eclectic, innovative, "made by hand" international cuisine & known for its open kitchen, quality menu offerings, including a full beer & wine list, with attentive service in a casual, comfortable downtown setting with plenty of nearby parking.
Stella, Canada
“Great comfort food in a lively room with open kitchen”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

On a bitter winter night we thoroughly enjoyed the seasonal special of meat loaf and smashed potatoes at Galisteo. Oysters, gorgonzola salad and a very light and very good pecan pie complemented the mains. Warm welcome, attentive service and lively vibe added to our enjoyment. Two minor suggestions: get a coat closet and eliminate or relocate the table by the ordering station where staff congregate. Highly recommend!

Visited January 2013
6 Thank DebandBill

Santa Fe, New Mexico
“So So”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

For the price you pay at this place (including wine), you a have lot of
better dining options in Santa Fe.
The wine list is very limited, and besides a couple of offerings, expensiv, and not up to the standard in Santa Fe.

• Visited January 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Luis C
Phoenix, AZ
“Where's the flavor?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

Although we had reservations, we had to wait about 20 minutes for our table. Sometimes that happens; we were in no hurry so we were fine with waiting. The only difficulty is there really isn't a good place to wait except the doorway. The hostess was very apologetic and offered to bring us something to drink while we waited.

The restaurant was very busy, and although it has high ceilings, the noise level was minimal. It’s a fairly small space, so the tables are quite close together, but even at that we didn't feel cramped or even have the feeling that our neighbors were listening to our conversation.

The kitchen area is open, part of which has a seating area so one could watch the chefs create their eclectic menu offerings up close! The selection of wines is extensive, but those offered by the glass are very limited. If you don’t care for wine, there are several microbrews to choose from.

Although the menu offered a number of interesting sounding options, but I must admit, nothing jumped out at me. I started with the Roasted Beet Carpaccio salad, which is not a salad as you might think. The beets, spring mix, & goat cheese were little bundles wrapped with prosciutto. I’m not a fan of prosciutto, so I ended up unwrapping the bundles and eating the beets, lettuce & cheese like a normal salad. The poppyseed vinaigrette was very good. The spinach salad was good, but heavy on the gorgonzola.

My husband ordered the Farmhouse Meatloaf and I went for the squash flan tapas. Both were very well presented. I’ve never had squash in flan form before, and I can’t say that I will again. Not impressed. I think the sauce had a hit of nutmeg, but the flan was pretty tasteless. I've only had dessert-type flans before, so maybe this flan was meant to be bland, but I was expecting for it to have some squash flavor. It came atop a bet of spinach & caramelized onions. The onions were very flavorful, but the spinach blah. The meatloaf had a nice texture, sweet glaze, but again, the dish itself was pretty bland and void of flavor. The smashed potatoes were good.

Our server was very attentive and friendly; the atmosphere is cozy, welcoming, unpretentious, yet upscale. Definitely an older clientele and I don’t think well-suited to children.

Glad we tried Galisteo Bistro, however with the high ratings it receives, not to mention the price, we expected the food to be bursting with flavor, and it wasn't even close.

• Visited January 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank SmallWonderAZ
Durango, CO
“Quail to die for”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

This is a small, family run restaraunt . Get reservations or go early. Service is warm and friendly. Food is great- especially the grilled quail. Wine prices are reasonable for Sante Fe. If I were in Sante Fe tonight, I'd be at Galisteo's, eating quail.

Visited December 2012
4 Thank Elkmantom
La Canada Flintridge, CA
“Our Santa Fe Favorite!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

We always dine at Galisteo Bistro on our regular trips to Santa Fe. It's a warm, elegantly casual space, the service is attentive and efficient, the owners are gracious, hands-on professionals who see that every detail is taken care of all evening long, and the food is oh so good! My husband had the lamb shank, I had the meatloaf, and both were simply delicious . . . and the portions are very generous too! I can't, for the life of me, think of a thing they could do better!

• Visited December 2012