“Affordable family vacation stay3”
Review of Zen River Rentals

Zen River Rentals
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Zen River Rentals
Reviewed September 8, 2013

I didn't read the reviews of this place before I stayed there, and I'm glad I didn't. OK, it wasn't the Ritz, but it was clean enough for my VERY picky Mother-in-law. Yes, it's a bit rustic, but it served our needs very well.

If it had been my honeymoon, I might not have been happy, but for a nine-day stay with my family of 5 it was a very affordable "home base" used for sleeping, eating breakfast and washing up, and it worked fine. We had other friends staying in the area with whom we spent the days cruising around Santa Fe, and they paid many times what we did.

The Windsor Trail which is just above the place is a very cool hiking outing, too.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Geoff H
There are newer reviews for Zen River Rentals

Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

Right on bishops lodge Road!
When you enter these casitas you will find yourself in a clean, relaxing home; 7 peaceful minutes to the square and just a few more to Canyon Road Galleries. I am a Santa Fe artist at Waxlander Gallery. I have stayed at several establishments in Santa Fe and by far this was one of best. I will recommend Zen River to anyone seeking a unique natural location full of local color. The landlord, Veronica, is charming and very honest.
Paul Cunninham

• Stayed: July 2013
5  Thank Paul Cunningham A
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at Zen River. The facilities are well designed and appointed by someone who obviously cares about harmony and balance with the environment and providing a comfortable and satisfying experience to the guests. I thought that the landlady managed the property with a nice touch - issues were dealt with in a timely and personable way.
The location is fantastic - very close to the action of Santa Fe yet you can walk right outside your room and access the solitude and natural wonders of the Windsor Trail.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank Michael A
Reviewed May 17, 2013

The place was not clean, and the owner/manager first refused to clean it and then entered the unit multiple times without notice, pilfering and moving my belongings around. In the end of the stay she claimed that I moved furniture around and tried to deduct it through the deposit. Definitely serious psychological issues. Dont stay there unless you plan to spend all your time squabbling with the landlord.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank AnZ2000
Reviewed May 7, 2012

I had the pleasure of staying in Casa Estrella for two weeks and enjoyed it thoroughly. The location is perfect for me. 'Just outside of town but convenient, too. It is very peaceful and quiet. There was everything I needed and the landlady was very kind and a delight to know. I would recommend the property to anyone.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Carolyn B
Reviewed April 24, 2012

Upon arrival there was no heat in our unit (a health violation). Given it was a radiant heat floor, and takes time to warm up, she said "it hadn't occurred to her" to turn it on prior to our arrival. We froze that night and were both sick for days. The carpet had not been cleaned, there were large granules of dirt all over the main rug which spans most of the floor, so we were practically stepping on small stones. The one piece of furniture in the room had a white coating of dust that was so thick we thought it was likely never cleaned. She admitted to not cleaning them.The landlady was very unreasonable: she said she would re-rent if she could get someone else renting it, but then said she could not show it without us removing our stuff! Later we had to call the tenant/landlord hotline to get involved. We decided to vacate and take the loss because of the violation of health laws including ants, and counting over 40 bugs which were on the curtains, and her attitude. Hardly hospitable nor liveable.

Room Tip: Never agree to more than one night in a temp stay, with option to renew if satisfied.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family