“Not to be missed stop in Santa Fe”
Review of 109 East Palace

109 East Palace
Ranked #79 of 270 things to do in Santa Fe
More attraction details
Owner description: This street in Santa Fe was the secret business location of the Manhattan Project, which developed the first atomic bomb.
Reviewed May 29, 2013

My grandfather worked on the Manhatten Project and afterward lived at 109-1/2 East Palace. While I was taking photos of 109-1/2 in the back alley, the folks who lease 107 pulled up to open their store. Apparently, in the late 60's the post office changed the numbering system and 107 is the actual place where the original office is.The plaque is there on the back wall of the courtyard, the store owners have original photos of the offices, and they couldn't be more helpful and informative about the incredible history of the building.I highly reccommend a stop there.

8  Thank Boulderpeople

Reviewed May 24, 2013

This was such an little know piece of history. It sent shivers up my spine to realize how this portal changed the world forever. May this plaque always stay there to remind us. Hard to find without asking directions but worth the hunt

2  Thank awestruk
Reviewed April 11, 2013

I spoke with Susan a storeowner who has been there for over 30 years and she showed me where the sign was. Susan actually met the famous Dorothy Mckgibbin in `1961. Dorothy's office is now in back and being used by a book store owner.

Gave me the chills.

1  Thank mediaglyphic
Reviewed March 20, 2013

The Manhattan Project and it's secret portal is hidden behind Southwest wares on Palace St., with most people simply walking by, or even browsing the colorful kitsch without any awareness of the profound historical event that took place on that patch of ground.

Today what you see on the surface is an alleyway filled with Southwestern kitsch right next to "The Rainbow Man" shop, with lots of wonderful arts, photography and crafts. Go to the very back of the alley, though, and look through the fence, or go into Rainbow Man's outside alley — and see the historic plaque, marking the secret history — where men and women entered through the alleyway, and the townsfolk never saw them come out. They were whisked away out the back and spirited to Los Alamos. Geniuses and the world was forever changed—enter here . . . The townspeople came up with all kinds of stories as to where these people were disappearing to, but no one really had a clue as to the secret city of Los Alamos and its atomic mission to end World War II.

For lots more on what happened here, don't miss the fascinating exhibit on it and the effect and responses to the secret entrance at the New Mexico History Museum on the Plaza.

11  Thank Marielle O
Reviewed October 30, 2012

While walking around Santa Fe, I found 109 Palace Street. But--the door said closed for business. I was bummed but thinking at least I found the address.

Went right next to the closed location to The Rainbow Man, an open alley way of mexican ceramics, folk art, pottery, blankets, photography, along with paintings. I found a mexican ceramic pumpkin I decided to buy.

While at the register, I asked when 109 Palace would be open to see the marker about its history. The owner said to me--oh no--it's at the back of my shop on the wall. I could not believe it! I paid for my purchase and walked to the back and lo and behold--there it was!! I was so thankful I asked!

I was in awe of standing where great minds walked to work on such a highly secret project affecting our country.

5  Thank AvidTraveler57