“caution”

Ski Santa Fe
Ranked #16 of 270 things to do in Santa Fe
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: With a base elevation of 10,350 ft, Ski Santa Fe is the launching point for a ski experience your family will never forget. Located only 16 miles from the heart of Santa Fe, a city rich in culture, fine arts and exceptional cuisine, this is one of the country's most diverse and unique ski destinations.
Tucson
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“caution”
Reviewed April 9, 2014

The bathroom at the lift base of the mountain is unheated and freezes for the winter. All body waste sits there until spring. I strongly believe it gave me the spinal strep infection that I got within 1 week that hospitalized. Barely survived. Typical Apache run resort where things don't get upgraded. Food is mediocre.
The terrain is quite good with good steeps and long runs. The high elevation keeps the snow dry in many storms. Lifts are slow.

Visited February 2014

Jacksonville, Florida
131 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 149 helpful votes
“Food Superior to Most Ski Resorts”
Reviewed March 29, 2014

We were here to watch recently installed bird feeders and were delighted by appearance of Gray Jay, a relatively hard to see species. Since we used a table over a longer than usual period of time, we purchase hot chocolate, as well as, lunch. The lunch choices were considerable and both the tri-tip sandwich we split and the pasta dish ordered by our bird guide (www.thebirdhub.com) were well-prepared.

Tampa, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Perfect Two Day Ski Trip”
Reviewed March 25, 2014

The runs were great for intermediate skiers. Long runs and well groomed. We were lucky enough to get 4 inches of fresh snow when we arrived making conditions ideal. I never waited for a lift line and I was there on a Friday and Saturday morning. Great mid way lunch stop with live music outside. Great spring skiing experience.

2 Thank dkitko
Plano, Texas
51 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 145 helpful votes
“This formally hidden gem has become more popular”
Reviewed March 24, 2014

We discovered Ski Santa Fe in 1987 and did numerous weekend jaunts to the area - air travel was easier back then. The small ski area offered some nice runs for skiers of all levels of ability and the children's programs were reasonably priced and well staffed. It was totally unknown to outsiders at the time - a real local's spot. The only real drawback ws the 35-45 minute drive to and from town.

Fast forward through the years. We still love Ski Santa Fe, but, over the years, it has been discovered. The area has developmental issues due to Native American concerns and is still the small area, but it can get much more crowded than the old days. Spring Break can be especially tough, as the novice skiers and snowboarders rage out of control. Nearby Pajarita became our preferred choice, if they were open.

This year, Santa Fe made the most sense based on travel time and snow conditions. The website warned of large crowds and suggested strategies, which is a nice benefit. In addition, the base lodge has been expanded and improved. but, for us at least, nothing will ever measure up to the laid back vibe at Totemoff's, an easy lift shortly up the mountain.

We rented equipment in town to avoid the expected crowds at both the mountain and Cottams along the way. There are some lift ticket discounts available for more frequent skiers, but the full-day price for adults is $69, a bargain compared to many Colorado and even New Mexican resorts. There are also special prices kids, preteens, and seniors. The day care and children's ski school rates are also reasonable in relation to other destination resorts.

This is not the place for high speed quads whisking huge crowds. Ski Santa Fe does have a reasonably fast quad (conveyor loading) and a couple of resonably speedy trios. The doubles can be slow.

We were actually surprised that the crowds were fairly reasonable during our trip - few out-of-control college boys, although parking was a pain (although free) and there were some slight lines. The views are often gorgeous and the runs range from tame to totally wild. This was the first place that I ever skied a black, Upper Parachute, which was groomed that day decades ago.

The Day Lodge has probably doubled in size, and does offer more "food court" options, as well as more electircal outlets. The best I had was a $5 bowl of posole, one of the soups du jour. Burgers and hot dogs are priced fairly reasonably and can be purchased on the outside grills at both spots. Made to order deli sandwiches, by contrasts, seemed expensive. I do miss the daily specials that the bartender of Totemoff's served on the side of excellent drinks (Note: the day lodge is alcohol free).

3 Thank s2mc
Dallas, Texas
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“My new favorite place!”
Reviewed March 19, 2014

YAY!!! I'm a beginner at snowboarding and this place was just PERFECT for me! The runs were sufficient and the lift lines moved efficiently. I really wish I had discovered this place sooner so I can visit more often! Will definitely be back as soon as there powder arrives!

Visited February 2014