“Smell the beautiful pine trees and enjoy the hike”

Hyde Memorial State Park
Ranked #28 of 276 things to do in Santa Fe
More attraction details
Owner description: Located in a breathtaking natural setting, this park is ideal for picnics and camping.
Reviewed September 23, 2013

We went hiking and bird watching on their trails. It was such a beautiful hike, and the smell of the pine trees was so beautiful. We are not sure why the visitor center was not open, and no trail guide pamphlets, so we took a small trail (marked skiing) that led to a picnic area and camping area by mistake. Went back and looked a around to find a map and then found the trailhead. We took what was supposed to be the easy trail, and then the waterfall trail. The waterfall trail wasn't really well marked, and we don't know if we even got to the end, but it looked too dangerous to go any farther, so we went back. The hard trail has quite a steep elevation so if they call that one hard, I'd say it probably is. We didn't attempt it. Long story short, I wouldn't call this easy, but I would call it beautiful and loved the views and trees.

1  Thank Edward H
"pull over"
"pretty hike"
"bear wallow"

Reviewed September 21, 2013

Have a good sense of direction and take pictures of the trails on your phone before setting off. There are very few blazes and the trails are slightly washed out. Very easy hike through the forest.

1  Thank Jennifer V
Reviewed September 2, 2013

This is a state park above Santa Fe. I made a hookup reservation online. Upon arriving around 3:30 pm, we found no rangers or staff anywhere and everything locked. No map of the campground to locate our site and directional signage is non existent. After about 25-30 minutes we found our site, however no hook ups as reserved. No water anywhere. Stay somewhere else if you want to camp. We ended up leaving.

1  Thank Tom R
Reviewed August 30, 2013

My husband and I recently took a camping trip across northern new Mexico and southern Colorado, and we stayed 2 nights in Hyde memorial park. The park itself is nice, it has great hiking trails, but the camping part is not the best.

First, it seemed very very easy to pre-book a spot online. That was great. However, while the online site mentioned the campsite I chose was on a stream (which had no water in it) it did NOT mention that the campsite I picked was directly on the main road, and not on the more quiet camping loop. I would not have chosen the space had I known that. Also, though the sign on the door of the visitor center said open 10-4, we arrived at 3:45 to find nobody there. And never saw anybody there the next day either. The pump behind the visitor center that was supposed to provide drinking water was not working. There was absolute nowhere in the park to use running water. At night, there was some kind of event in the visitors area and a very very loud band played for several hours, not quite what I had in mind when I booked a nice "quiet" campsite in the woods. We camped at 5 different parks in the southwest during this trip and this was definitely the least nice situation with the most primitive bathroom facility.

We took several gorgeous hikes, and for that I do recommend a visit. Just don't camp there.

1  Thank Kristin M