“Santa Fe, old school style”

Silver Saddle Motel
Ranked #7 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Flagstaff, Arizona, United States
“Santa Fe, old school style”
Reviewed May 10, 2013

I recently had a fantastic stay for a girlfriend's birthday at the Silver Saddle Motel. It was pretty conveniently located on the drive into downntown. Dawn, the owner, has a tremendous wealth of knowledge about Santa Fe (and yes, Cowgirls bar and grill is totally worth it!). The rooms are clean, quiet, and well equipped (we had a TV, wifi, microwafe, minifridge, etc. Dawn even got us a spare bed. The vintage feel was so much fun, there was a small treasure in every corner to inspect and discover. The breakfast buffet is pretty hearty- boiled eggs, fruit, assorted breads/pastries, cold cereal, juice... and lots of hot coffee or tea. There is also a little sitting area in the office, next to the food, to read a book while you are grazing, or for great people watching. Will come back for sure, this time with my spouse!

Room Tip: we stayed upstairs, so it was set off the road area and pretty quiet.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Jeanine T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

i stayed here for about 10 days. On the down side the sheets were worn and had holes in them, there's no coffee maker in the room, I had a few ants share my space, and the cleaners kept changing towels even though I left them on the racks. On the plus side there's a microwave and fridge in the room, it was pretty quiet when I was there (until someone moves in next door then you can hear conversations), there's lots of colour and character, Castro's is across the road and a great shop/ market next door. $1 takes you into downtown on the bus or it's a 5 minute drive; A couple of vego restaurants in walking distance, which gave me a break from the heavy South Western food; Staff are friendly; and the rooms are cheap which gave me more $ to spend on museums and eating out. I'd definitely stay there again as a budget traveller.

• Stayed April 2013
4 Thank Christine B
cowgirlup2, Manager at Silver Saddle Motel, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
We appreciate your long term stay with us. Santa Fe is a great place to explore as there are so many things to see and do. We continuously strive to be the best budget motel in Santa Fe and try very hard to provide first class services like the more expensive properties. Sometimes we slip up. Sorry for the (w)holy sheets. Occasionally we miss removing those from service. And the sugar ants are really active when they first wake up in the Spring. Tough chasing 'em all over the motel. We have a professional exterminator come once a month as a part of one of our many routine maintenance items. Part of our "Green Initiative" is that we don't change linens every day but at intervals which assures room cleanliness and comfort for our guests. Note that we do offer, just for the asking, coffee makers and hair dryers at the front desk. This is one of our secrets for keeping our rates competitive. We look forward to your next visit.
WAYNE
Reviewed May 8, 2013

My sister & I were in Santa Fe for 4 nights for a conference & many hotels in the Conference Center area were sold out. We took a chance on the inexpensive Silver Saddle & we got lucky! Our Lil Buckeroos room was older but spotlessly clean & decorated so sweetly in a child's cowboy theme. We had a bar sink, microwave & refrigerator in the room & a child's picnic table to eat at or use as a desk. The breakfast each morning was more than sufficient & the owner was always present to greet us & offer useful suggestions. Gene, the manager was pleasant & provided a blow dryer & iron with ironing board for us to use during our stay. The motel was conveniently located, well-maintained, & sweetly decorated. I recommend it highly.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank ELIZABETH P
Naples, Florida
Reviewed May 4, 2013

Checked in late and very tired. The bed had a COTTON quilt on it. YAY!!! The rest of the room was appointed with Roy Rogers paraphernalia and though I'm not a CW fan, it was really cute and I felt very cozy and safe there. The room was quiet despite what others thought, and warm, and very very clean. The bathroom was spotless... everything was. I loved that it was an old school motel with very modern charm. HIGHLY recommended. The motel is just a few miles from Santa Fe and on one of the main roads heading into town. Stopped at Sage bakehouse for coffee and pastries on the way in.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank rephello1
Winchester, Virginia
Reviewed May 1, 2013

After reading all these great reviews, we decided to check this motel out - and believe me, this was absolutely the worst, most disgusting place I've ever seen! We paid for the room before looking at it and that was definitely a bad mistake. After seeing how old and extremely yucky it was, we immediately went back to the office to get a refund. Honestly, I wouldn't have cared if we got a refund or not (we got half back even though we didn't even bring our luggage in), I would never stay there even if they paid me! It was like 9:00 pm, and I would much rather stay in our car then sleep in those disgusting beds. Fortunately, we did find another hotel which was really nice.

We travel all the time, and this was the first time I had ever refused to stay in a room. It was truly the absolute worst place I've ever seen.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Lisa Z
cowgirlup2, Front Office Manager at Silver Saddle Motel, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
We appreciate all of our guest's feed back but are a little hard pressed to understand this review. The particular room in question was renovated this past winter. The beds as well as all of the bedding is brand new. Other new items in the room are the furniture, carpeting, paint, flat screen television, and artwork. Extensive restoration work on the bathroom including the tile work was also done. It's no easy task to restore tile to it's original 1950's vintage. We have spent thousands of dollars on new mattresses and bedding through out the motel and continue vintage restoration work to maintain that kitschy original western ambiance and all the while continue to be the best budget valued motel in Santa Fe.
Reviewed May 1, 2013

We really like this place!
We stayed two daze in the "Roy Rodgers" suite on our way up to Deadwood! One day on the way back! Great and very friendly management! Excellent continental breakfast with private patio setting.
This is an old motel out of the 1950s. It was a time trip!
We will be back be this Summer! Our destination will be Santa Fe!
Our stay will be at the Silver Saddle!

• Stayed August 2012
5 Thank nulogicx
Reviewed April 29, 2013

This place is clean and funky. Super friendly staff, books to borrow, cute patio to enjoy breakfast, beds are comfy. Not all rooms have a bath tub, but small windows in the bath and bed room is a plus. Walls are a little thin and so are the pillows but such a great value !! I love that you can pull up to the door and not have to haul my stuff through a lobby etc..
Thank you !!!