“Giddy Up to Santa Fe and Stay at the Silver Saddle!”

Silver Saddle Motel
Ranked #7 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Fayetteville, Arkansas
“Giddy Up to Santa Fe and Stay at the Silver Saddle!”
Reviewed January 7, 2012

We were in Sante Fe for our first annual Holiday Hoodang and we decided to mozy on in to the Silver Saddle Motel. To be clear and transparent, our criteria for lodging is...clean and cheap, baby. We chose this establishment because of its good reviews. We were definitely not disappointed. It is a vintage mid-century, well-maintained adobe motorcourt. My female heterosexual partner and I were jazzed as the hotel is a throwback to yesteryear, to a time when America was pure, innocent, and slightly tacky. Our rooms (as we decided to stay an extra night) were clean, comfortable, and charming. The beds were great, the rooms were adequately sized, and decorated thematically. We stayed our first night in the Buffalo Girls room and our second in the Billy the Kid quarters. Thats right people, not only can you get your sleep-on, but your learn-on, too about the wild, wild west. Did you know that Billy the Kid was a really really homely man. He was. Yeah. The hotel staff rocked our socks off. They were friendly, informative, and went above and beyond to get me back my wayward phone charger (that I left in the room). Breakfast was better than your average continental breakfast. The "SS" is located not far from pretty much anything in Sante Fe. Bottom line, not a cookie cutter chain hotel for not a lot of money. We will never stay anywhere else when in Santa Fe for the rest of our natural lives.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
8 Thank JamieW370

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Durango, Colorado
Reviewed January 1, 2012

This motel is a great deal for the unique rooms, very comfortable beds, sante fe feel and EXTREMELY friendly and helpful staff. A maid came into our room accidentally one morning, we didn't care but the staff was so nice about it. They even sent us a free one night stay for the disturbance...which wasn't that at all because it was at 10 am, we were just sleeping in a bit. Anyways, the maid service wasn't supposed to come in until after 12. We had just arrived late so they weren't aware we were there. It was so not a big deal. WE SLEPT GREAT AND THE ROOMS ARE SUPER COZY!

Room Tip: The Willy Nelson room! King bed and Willie history!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Missing S
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed December 22, 2011

During a road-trip from Calgary, AB to Santa Fe and back, my boyfriend and I stayed here for 3 nights. After reading all the positive reviews, and as it was such good value, we booked our first two nights ahead of time. When phoning to make our reservation, the staff were extremely friendly and helpful and chatted with me about our upcoming trip!

The motel is in a great location, a short drive into the main downtown of Santa Fe, but close to other things as well. When we arrived the staff were again very friendly. The decor in the place is great - I copied them by purchasing chili pepper lights from the Jackalope store next door.

The room was a little dingy, but for the price we paid I would definitely not complain. The bathroom was tiled with mosaic which was very cool, and the room had everything you need, especially if just using it as somewhere to sleep and not hang-out. The bed wasn't very comfortable,but again, it didn't bother us.

Each morning there is a complimentary continental breakfast offered in the office area which was a nice kick-start to the day. The staff also recommended a family run restaurant that was directly across the street - we weren't disappointed!

On our second afternoon we decided to re-do our route back North so we could stay in Santa Fe for an extra day/night. The motel staff had no problem with us extending our stay at last minute as they weren't very busy at the time.

I'd definitely stay here again if I find myself back in Santa Fe, it's perfect if you're on a budget, and has everything that you need.

Room Tip: All rooms seemed to be equally good - perhaps a room at the back, farthest from the highway would be...
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank PDove
Texas City, Texas
Reviewed December 18, 2011

The Silver Saddle epitomizes the quintessential Sante Fe experience. Warm, unpretentious, friendly, sharing a great, openness of spirit, and joy in life. Enticing surroundings! Great Food! Fantastic central location, away from the crowded downtown crush, but easy access to everything!
It happens to all of us at some point, usually when we're the most tired, in the biggest hurry, late, hungry, cold, coughing, stubbed our toe, and least need it to happen! I locked my *&^*##!!!!! keys in the car. Again. Both sets.
In my defense, the spare set fell into the trunk, from my shirt pocket, just as I slammed the lid closed, however, this did nothing to assuage the fact, that I was standing in the parking-lot whimpering, and pointing at my car, as snow began to whip around my ears, and the high, keening sound I thought was the wind, turned out to be coming from my own lips.
Calling my roadside service was not an option - $200.00, and no guarantee of success wasn't in my travel budget.
I sucked up my resolve, trudged to the office, and trying not to look like a total weezer, asked if they might have a spare wire coat-hanger. The compassionate and lovely Dawn took pity on my, plied me with coffee, and kind conversation, while her equally kind and accommodating sweetheart, had me into my car before you could say "Thanks for the really great coffee!"
The rooms, tho basic, are charming and comfortable, the staff rates absolutely tops, parking is easy and convenient. All this, and great rates too!
Conveniently located on Cerillos Road, close to fabulous food, both dine-in, or casual take out, right beside "The Jackalope" which is guaranteed to provide hours of interesting strolls, gifts, and great Sante Fe conversation!
Try The Silver Saddle, and you'll never hang your hat anywhere else!
Deb B.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
5 Thank redochre11
St. Louis Missouri
Reviewed December 8, 2011

We planned our latest visit to New Mexico during the ABQ Balloon Fiesta, staying here from Oct. 3-11. For serious budget travelers visiting New Mexico during the Fiesta, there’s no better value.

As anyone familiar with budgeting for lodging will unhappily discover, it’s the norm for average rates to double, even nearly triple, during Fiesta week, regardless of when you book. A sensible alternative to booking in ABQ is to book here, where off-season rates can apply. For example, we paid $50/ night (w/o tax) during our stay. This price difference can make staying the entire week feasible, for it might be necessary, depending on the presence of extended bad weather conditions, such as those experienced during Fiesta 2011.

From the motel, it is possible to arrive and park at the Fiesta within an hour. The owners and staff at the motel are willing and happy to help you plan and answer any logistical questions about the Fiesta, including parking navigation, event scheduling, and tips on weather conditions. (See details on the Fiesta in ----------). A smarter option for staying during Fiesta week is to inquire early for any available rooms having special discount weekly rates.

The Saddle’s advantages go beyond lodging cost. I mention several specific examples of real customer service in my previous Trip Advisor reviews (latest is March 31), which I encourage you to peruse. However, it’s always worth mentioning how hospitable and knowledgeable that staffers strive to be. Upon our fourth stay here, since July 2009, my wife and I noticed that almost all staff reside at the motel, and as a consequence, commit a “24/7” attitude to customer service, and genuinely enjoy the wide variety of their clients.

We are independent travelers, who lately fly in to New Mexico, and once there, almost always take public transportation or our bikes to navigate around ABQ and Santa Fe. As such, we have actually turned down thoughtful offers from the motel to ferry us around town to dining and sightseeing venues. We just don’t need the service. Honestly, though, when was the last time you refused any free, extra motel service?

Owing to our currently weak US dollar, international travelers have taken advantage of the Saddle’s service and convenience, as reviewed by international raters, such as Frommer’s and Lonely Planet. This year, at the reorganized office lobby, we’ve shared travel experiences and tips with French, German, Spanish, and most recently, Canadian travelers during continental breakfasts (7-10A). This adds a pretty sophisticated traveling atmosphere to the motel, which can’t be emulated at bigger hotels, owing mostly to their client volume and formality.

If you value affordable lodging having smart, responsive customer service, book the Saddle for your next trip to New Mexico.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank RealDealValue
New York, NY
Reviewed November 30, 2011

Clean, friendly staff, short driving distance from old-town Santa Fe. Great value (paid about $50).

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank ocp100
East Sussex UK
Reviewed November 28, 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights and it was probably our favourite motel in our month long tour of SW USA.
Dawn and her partner were so helpful with restaurant recommendations, sightseeing routes etc and we saw far more of Santa Fe than we would have done without their help.
Whilst the rooms were fairly basic they were spotlessly clean and had all that we needed. (Anything that was not provided eg an iron, Dawn was happy to send to the room) They are themed (we were in Annie Oakley) which was fun.
Breakfast provided all that we needed and was very sociable as it was in the front desk area where guests could chat with Dawn and each other.
We felt that we made a friend with Dawn and hope that she visits us if she comes to the UK.
Tyhan you all at Silver Saddle