“2nd time stay”

Casa Del Toro Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #29 of 36 Santa Fe B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 4, 2012

I do love this business, as it is an affordable way to stay in a home in Santa Fe when I visit my daughter. Walking distance to downtown, comfortable, cozy and quiet neighborhood. All the conveniences of home, for the price of median priced hotel! It is always nice to have a kitchen when I stay to make a meal if we want to stay in, or just a cup of tea whenever. Thanks again for making my stay feel like home.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank njcyogi
There are newer reviews for Casa Del Toro Bed & Breakfast

Reviewed August 19, 2012

We stayed for a week and enjoyed every minute. If you want pretense and crowds, then you might want to stay in town. If you want comfort and quiet, this is the place to stay. Our one- bedroom casita on Staab was homey, with a full kitchen, lots of light, and a comfortable living room with t.v. We especially liked sitting outside after sunset admiring the sunflowers in the front yard and stargazing. Breakfast was a treat that we looked forward to every morning, and our cooks Star and Jody were very warm and welcoming. Their meals were healthy and delicious. They even let us sneak in early to accommodate our conference schedule throughout our stay. If you want cozy and off the beaten path and still be just a short 5 minute walk to the plaza, this is the place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank happyhker
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Stayed in casita #8 for three nights in late June. Great experience from beginning to departure. Literally 5 minute walk to heart of plaza and guadelupe area resturants. Great kitchen and washer/dryer was bonus ad we had been travelling for extended time. Would definitely stay here again. Great value for great location!

• Stayed: June 2012
2  Thank tresmelindas
Reviewed June 1, 2012

My husband and I were looking for a place to stay for two weeks while in Santa Fe. We needed a kitchenette to make meals due to our budget and dietary needs. He saw an ad posted on Craigs List for a vacation rental type property titled "Santa Fe Inn Cottages". It described a property of 30 charming vintage "cottages and adobe casitas", some with kichenettes. The ad specifically made a point of stating that the accommodations were in the center of Santa Fe's central tourist area - exact words "in the heart of the Plaza". THEY ARE NOT.

We tried to research the property on Tripadvisor using the title on the Craigslist ad since no other specific property name was mentioned. We found the "Old Santa Fe Inn", "Santa Fe Suites", and several other properties titled similarly but none looked like the pictures in the Craigs List ad. All were very nice bed and breakfasts. We finally called the number in the ad and found out that the property is part of a complex of ONE HUNDRED YEAR OLD former military barracks and other buildings in which numerous accommodations have been divided up, for short and long term rentals it seems. It turned out to be a property called the "Casa Del Toro" bed and breakfast which is managed by "Bruce" who also manages all of the vacation rental properties. It is still unclear what name those properties are really managed under.

When we told him the dates of our stay, Bruce told us that he could accommodate us in a place with a kitchette a few days after our arrival in Santa Fe. We were speaking with him on the phone, not booking on line, so we told him that we wanted a pet-free place that was quiet and that we needed a good quality bed because we are both disabled with spinal injuries and a kitchenette to make meals during our stay. We booked the apartment he said he had available that met our needs and he quickly sent over the confirmation. It stated that the "kitchette" had no burners or stove and that breakfast was not included in our rate. What kind of kitchette is that - especially when we specifically stated that we needed to cook! The confirmation stated that it did have a coffee maker and a microwave - so does the Days Inn we stay in frequently for trips to the VA in San Diego but it doesn't advertise the room as having a kitchenette nor do any of the other hotels with coffee makers and microwaves!

I immediately got online and researched Casa Del Toro on TripAdvisor and found out why they advertise on Craigs List as if they are a different property with no mention of their real name! There are more bad reviews of that property than I've ever seen on Trip advisor. I had already emailed Bruce back saying that we could not stay in a unit with no ability to cook and that we discussed those needs on the phone. I asked in that email if the unit could accommodate portable burners and a toaster oven. He replied by email quickly that I could put portable burners in the unit. We really can't afford to buy a toaster oven and portable burners for a ten day stay at a hotel. I replied that we needed a REAL kitchenette and were cancelling our reservation to book another place. I did not get a reply to that email. I called 2 days later and spoke with a woman who said that Bruce was out of town for the weekend and that he would call me back. He never did. My husband called him 2 days later and Bruce said that he answered my email (the second cancellation one), which he never did. My husband asked Bruce to cancel the reservation and refund us and notify us when it was done, which he said he would do right away. I checked with my bank and instead of a refund, I was CHARGED on that very day for the cost of a week's stay! I emailed Bruce and very politely described what travelers expect from a "kitchenette" and that he should be clear in his advertising because it is important. I never heard back on that email. We are done trying to be "nice". We both live on social security income which is less than $17,000 a year and we now have the charge from Casas del Toro as well as the place we needed to book while we stay in Santa Fe. There are MUCH NICER legitimate places to stay close to the Plaza than Casas Del Toro or any of their 'vacation rentals'! and all have a clear 24 hour cancellation policy. We are reporting this property and it's deceptive marketing practices to the Better Business Bureau, Tourism Board and Attorney General of New Mexico. They are pretending to be other truly quality properties in order to get bookings which is despicable!

Room Tip: Read the reviews of other traveler who have stayed in various rooms. There are different streets an...
Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SonoranLuxury
casadeltoro, Owner at Casa Del Toro Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2012

This is one of the most difficult responses to a review I have ever had to write. They are accusing me of things I have always made an effort not to do. At the top of the list of things we absolutely do not do is mislead people about what is in the room, the quality of the room, the location, etc. There is absolutely no profit in misleading people in this business, if you do, you will just have people arriving with unrealistic expectations and then leaving without staying. There is no long term profit in deceiving people and we have been in business for 13 years.

We DO advertise on Craig's List and we do use "Santa Fe Inn and Cottages" as the title of the ad. I think a descriptive title is much more informative than the actual name of the business. We are AN Inn and Cottages and our Name IS the Casa del Toro. If it were not such a monumental task I would change our name.

As far as the reviewer's claim that we are not located in the heart of the Santa Fe Plaza...........

The corners of Chapelle Street and Staab Street are at the center of our neighborhood. You can Google them and make your own decision. That intersection is 2/10ths of a mile to the center of the Santa Fe Plaza, and if you enter the intersection of McKenzie Street and Chapelle Street into walkscore.com our score is 100 out of 100. You can decide.

Our definition of a kitchenette is a room with a fridge, microwave, coffeemaker and toaster, but no stove top or oven. I don't have an exact count but I would guess that 15 percent of our rooms have kitchenettes/no stoves, and the rest DO have full kitchens which include at least a stove top. We also have floating hotplates and pots and pans.

If the reviewer had made it clear that they wanted a stove top/oven I would have been sure to put them in a cottage with a stove. The fact they needed a stove top did not get clearly communicated. And yes, just to make sure there are no problems our email confirmation clearly stated there is no stove or oven in the room.

The rest of this review is too disjointed I will just reply in bullet points.

1. I offered to give her a hotplate and pots to use during her stay, and also offered another option for lodging.

2. I most definitely have refunded the reviewer's deposit, I did it the day they requested to cancel the reservation. I most definitely did not charge her on the day she called.

3. We have close to 200 reviews on Tripadvisor and average 4 1/2 "dots"

4. We are in no way trying to fool people into believing we are a different property.

Reviewed May 7, 2012

My friends and I rented out one of the spaces for about a week. It was great. It felt like you were at home. Awesome living space and bedrooms. I will definitely stay here again if I am in the area. Location is a plus because it is in walking distance of the plaza. We had another set of friends that stay at The Luxx and they had a horrible experience.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank kellane32
Reviewed January 5, 2012

Some last minute planning for New Years found us staying at one of the units of Casa Del Toro Casitas. We weren't sure what to expect, but were VERY pleased by what we found. We stayed at unit 209 Chapelle B, which was perfect for our needs. A one bedroom, with a large king bed and small kitchenette unit and bathroom. We used this as our 'home base' for our skiing but it also worked well in the evening as we could walk to every place in the plaza area!

The unit has a nice old style adobe New Mexico ambiance. Wood floors that creak add to the uniqueness. Even though the floors creak, the thick walls seem to cancel the voices from adjoining units. Don't expect a modern hotel room, these are not what they are. But if you like a comfortable place to stay, convienient to the plaza, with some old style Spanish appeal and reasonable rates, this is perfect! We never ran out of hot water, we had clean towels and a comfortable bed.

Check in/out even during off hours was easy!! The only thing we regret is not having the time to enjoy the breakfast they offer.... we were up early to hit the slopes. We will definately check them out again next time in the area.

Room Tip: check craigs list for booking oppurtunities...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 29, 2011

I purchased this two night stay as a gift for myself and my daughter to stay in Santa Fe. We knew we would arrive after 6pm and let the management know. A key was left for us but no information about what hours breakfast was or where it was.
When we arrived, we found the refrigerator was not working and we had brought items that needed refrigeration.
We called the emergency number numerous times, emailed the manager and attempted calling - all to no avail. We missed breakfast the first day because no one ever emailed us back or called in the morning to let us know how or when to be there.
Later in the day (afternoon) someone finally came to fix the refrigerator.
My daughter has called several times to ask about why there was never any response to the requests and has not had an answer to her calls or emails.
The room was lovely and the 2nd day when we were able to get to breakfast, it was delicious.
It is unfortunate that the management does not respond, however, when there are issues they need to address.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
#2 of 2 in Pojoaque
Inn on the Paseo
Inn on the Paseo
#11 of 36 in Santa Fe

Been to Casa Del Toro Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!