“Santa Fe in the Snow!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Chapelle Street Casitas

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Chapelle Street Casitas
You added Chapelle Street Casitas to your Saves list
San Antonio, TX
“Santa Fe in the Snow!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2007

Sorry it has taken me so long to write this Bruce! School and personal family health problems prevented me from writing sooner!
We had the best Christmas week ever in Santa Fe! Thank you for such a cozy and wonderful accomodation...I think it was our favorite one yet! I wouldn't stay any where else! If you had caused the snow...I would thank you for that, also. Our Casita was so private and nice. I loved the kitchen and the cute little table by the window! I would like to recommend Bumblebee's Baja Bar and Grill if I remember the name correctly. We didn't want to move our car, so we walked there in the snow! Fantastic food! Live music on Tuesdays, I think. We also loved breakfast at the your place! What a great Christmas treat for us!
We took the train ride in the snow! Merry Christmas to us!
We always had your lovely place to come home to!
Personally I think you deserve ********** 10 STARS!
Maybe we will see you this summer!
Linda Vos..the Cloudcroft Coyote & Charlotte Green

• Liked — It was near the center of town...walking distance from everything!
  • Disliked — It was a little difficult moving cars around since we can't park on the street anymore.
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
      Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2007

We stayed in Casita D on Chappelle street and found it very comfortable. The cute southwestern decor was cozy and attractive, the kitchen well equipped and servicable. The location can't be beat,walking distance to all of downtown Santa Fe's museums, galleries and great restaurants. We found the service to be friendly and helpful. The manager brought us more towels as soon as we requested them, and when we told her we were from Florida, she offered more blankets and heaters in case we found it cold. I recommend these casitas if you want a simple but homey place to experience the ambiance of old Santa Fe.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — nothing
Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
Albuquerque, NM
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2007

We have been visiting Santa Fe annually for over 30 years, and for the past 6 plus years have been staying at the Chapelle Street Casitas. The Casitas offer 'A touch of Old Santa Fe' at a price that helps stretch vacation dollars. Perfectly located around the corner from the Georgia O'Keefe Museum and a short walk to the Plaza, shopping, theaters and restaurants, we usually park our car and leave it! Whether we are running up to Santa Fe for a weekend concert or our annual 8 to 10 day Opera getaway, the Casitas offer us the perfect 'home away from home' and enable us to bring our small dog. We often invite family and friends to join us, and many now also call the Casitas their vacation home.
Bruce and the friendly staff have always attended our needs and requests. The Casitas offer you a true Santa Fe experience that you will never enjoy at the expensive hotels or inconvenient strip motels. Thank you, Bruce and staff, for making our Santa Fe vacations special!

• Liked — location, dog-friendly, cost, friendly
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank dshwth
nevada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2006

We booked over the telephone aprox. 2 weeks prior to our stay. The e-mail that is sent says to ask if you need early check in. We asked and Bruce said 'no problem'. We called the day before to make sure that was still ok. When we arrive the morning of Nov. 22, the casita was not empty. I called Bruce, he said "oh, I let one of my friends stay there, I will put you in another one." We went to the new location and it looked very pretty. When we went inside the first thing was to check everything and make sure it was in working order.(there is a book on the table explaining how previous guests do not let them know of problems right away, so to call and let them know) There were bugs all over the inside of the living room window, the T.V. did not work, nor did the fireplace. These were all things I said were very important to our family when booking. I called the number that was left, I kept getting the answeing machine. After trying for about an hour, Bruce answered and said he would be right over. We waited, after another hour I called back because everyone was hungry and wanted to get something to eat. He yelled into the phone, "you don't need to be there, I will get to it soon." I told him he didn't need to be rude and perhaps we should stay somewhere else. He hung up. I told the kids to get ready to go. 30 seconds later there was a loud banging on the door. Bruce came charging in and said he was in the middle of a 200 thousand dollar deal, but he was here to fix the T.V. He was yelling and frankly scared me. When we explained we would be leaving, he began jumping up and down and cursing. He ran out of the casita down the street yelling threats at my husband. We wound up having to file a police report. It ruined our Thanksgiving, as I had brought the turkey and everything to fix, we had to throw it away because of having to stay in a regular hotel.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — management
  • Tips/Secrets — beware!
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
      Check in / front desk
10 Thank marastravels
casadeltoro, owner at Chapelle Street Casitas, responded to this review, September 29, 2007
When you bend over backwards to help someone and be nice to them and they just keep bending you until you break it hurts. This woman called me and told me that she lived in Las Vegas, and that they come to Santa Fe about once a year. She also told me that her husband works maintenance at a Vegas hotel, and they usually stay in motels to save money but this year she wanted to have a nice Thanksgiving and they wanted to rent a little house. Something about what she said really touched me. Someone had just canceled one of our little houses and I gave her a fantastic deal. Basically I rented here a two bedroom house for the price of one of our studios. I call it mercy booking. So she said she would take the house. When we got to point where she needed to make a deposit, she said she did not get paid for a week and asked me to hold off on the deposit. I said sure. This is important. I never did charge her deposit. She then proceeded to call me almost every day for the next two weeks asking questions, etc. Then about 2 days before she was to arrive she told me that her husband was getting of his maintenance job at 10 the night before they were to arrive and they wanted to drive straight in to Santa Fe to save money, could they check in early. I said sure. I was up until 1 the night before dealing with guests and issues and I got in at 9:30 and was immediately hit with a flood of phone calls including these people and my Realtor who had a very complicated offer on the house I was selling and about 3 other issues. These people were here at 9 in the morning and were angry they had to wait., we are not set up for check ins at 9 in the morning. I told them where they were staying. They went to the room and started flooding me with calls. The TV was not working the pilot in the gas fireplace was not working. These are the kind of things that get checked around noon. I told her that the early check in was a little problematic and asked her to be patient. She called me back 20 minutes later and told me they were canceling and leaving. I went up to the house. I knocked on the door. As soon as she opened the door I knew what was going on. Husband had decided he did not want to pay the $ 120 a night for my $ 220 a night room and wanted to go to a motel. If you click on their user name you will see that, in fact they did go to a motel. We talked for a bit. I said "I am not going to be able to refund your deposit". They looked at me and kind of smirked and said "We never gave you a deposit"

As I said I had been as generous and accommodating to these people as possible and they just bailed and left we with an $ 800 loss.

What would you do???

I got angry, but not to the point that this woman says, not screaming, not running, nothing like what she described.

New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2006

I note from the other reviews on these properties that most are positive. The few negative reviews are followed by a response from Bruce. I find this quite ironic in a way, as he was not at all responsive to our concerns when we stayed at 320A Garfield Street recently, yet he obviously finds the time to write lengthly responses to any negative comments found on this website. I would not recommend this property if you are planning that once-in-a-lifetime visit to Santa Fe; spend a bit more and stay elsewhere. It's shabby and broken-down. There is a "For Sale Sign" gracing the front entry; watch out that you don't trip up on the crumbling front entry steps. And it's pretty "creepy" inside, for lack of a better word. Be aware of the Chapelle Street Casitas cancellation policy. Once you book, you can't cancel without incurring a $40 penalty. I advised when I booked 320A Garfield Street that we required parking for our vehicle. The 2-plus pages of e-mailed instructions (even the directions to the property are not correct) advised that we should park in the back of the property, off the street, which we did. In the morning we found a note on our windshield instructing us to move the car asap to the parking lot one street over. Unfortunately the lot had no attendant and a sign advised that vehicles without a permit would be towed. The note left on the car gave Bruce's phone number to call in case of any problems. We attempted to reach Bruce many times, and left at least three voicemail messages for him at that number (and another number) over the course of the afternoon, but our calls were never returned. We ended up parking where we did the first night because we felt we had no other option. I should have found a parking permit with the keys to the property when we first arrived, and I should have been advised of this "change" to the parking policy when I called and spoke to a Chapelle Street rep. a few days earlier to confirm. Also, beware of the "kitchen sink." Yes, buried in that 2-page e-mail is something about there being no working kitchen sink. However, it would be useful if the sink was either removed, since it serves no purpose, or if management would post a sign on the sink advising that it is not operational. Two in my party dumped the remnants of their morning coffee down the drain only to have it splash on their toes. The good thing is, there were lots of paper towels on hand to handle the mop ups. We only had two days in Santa Fe before making our way south, and unfortunately the stay at this property really put a damper on what would have otherwise been an enjoyable visit to a beautiful city. Yes, the sheets seemed clean. Yes, the toilet flushed. But, at the end of the day, I deserved, for my $340, decent customer service, which is very much lacking at Chapelle Street Casitas.

Stayed October 2006
7 Thank Carolrae
San Francisco Bay Area
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2006

Staying at the Chapelle St. Casitas is like having your own home in Santa Fe. I am so glad I made this choice. The casita was nicely furnished in tasteful Santa Fe style. The bedrooms were large and handsome, the living room was spacious and comfortable, and the kitchen clean and functional. Hardwood floors throughout. Easy walk to main square. Good service; the proprietor quickly returned my calls.
Who wants to stay in a deluxe hotel when you can have your own little place in town. Also, my 90 year old mother was very comfortable here. Highly recommend.
(Stayed at 225 Mckenzie)

• Stayed February 2006
1 Thank Lois267
CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2005

We stayed in Unit E of the McKenzie Street complex, which is operated by Chapelle Street Casitas. It is just around the corner from the Casa del Toro, where Casitas office is located.
Unit E is a studio, up a wooden staircase from the other units in the complex.
We didn't expect luxury for the price we paid; nor did we get it. The studio is basic, but it was clean and adequate for our needs for a short stay (four days); good value for the money for something centrally located in Santa Fe.
Main drawback is, as mentioned in another review of this establishment was the lack of the ongoing presence of an owner or owner's agent.
According to the email we received when we made the reservation, somebody would "generally" be available in the office at the main building from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. but when we got to Santa Fe we were told office hours were 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. On several occasions during the 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. period when we went by, nobody was there.
When they weren't there, we were supposed to telephone & leave a message, but the problem we were trying to correct, as it happened, was a problem with the telephone in the room, so telephoning was really not a good solution! (The management did give us a rebate of $20.00 on the phone, which never did get fixed.)
We were specifically told (by a notice on the back of the door) not to try to contact the office in the morning because the only people there at that time are the women doing the cooking for the B&B breakfast. However, it seems to me the morning, before you go out, is when you should be able to report or discuss any problems. What visitor to the city wants to spend part of the AFTERNOON trying to contact the person running their accommodation? That is when you want to be out & about.
I might also mention that the ownership might consider doing something about the lighting of that steep staircase up to this unit. There was a light outside our door, which lit up the upper few steps, but not the rest of the staircase, which was very dark. Some day somebody is going to fall down those steps & there will be some interesting liability issues. Luckily we both brought flashlights.

• Stayed October 2004