“Extremely Convenient Location, Great Atmosphere”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Chapelle Street Casitas
Flagstaff, AZ
Reviewed April 26, 2005

We recently rented two units on MacKenzie Street. Overall we were very satisfied with our stay. The location is fabulous, the properties are unique, The prices are reasonable and the management/staff are truly nice people. Read the review "Perfect for Us" on April 18th 2004. It is very fair, informative and descriptive. I will definitely stay here each time I return to Santa Fe.

Reviewed April 17, 2005

Loved the Garfield A! It was perfect for our party of three + dog. The house is cute and funky and big enough for two couples plus a friend or two on the couches. I loved the bathroom--so much bigger than a hotel bathroom, and with a lovely clawfoot tub. It was spartan but very pretty. The two bedrooms are also comfortable and well-decorated with two roomy armoires. It's really like staying at someone's house, which I prefer to the hotel experience. Everything was clean and in working order.

The thing we really enjoyed--and didn't even know about in advance--was the front porch. We spent a lot of our time out there, eating meals or having pre-dinner drinks. It was fun to say hi to passersby (everyone all dressed up going to the bistro next door) and watch the active Santa Fe sky.

Something to note: Before I booked this place, I read these online reviews, so my expectations were in check. I could tell from the confirmation email that the management might be on the quirky side because they have a long and somewhat confusing email with instructions. However, it's obvious that they're trying to please their customers, and we didn't have one single problem. I dropped by to pay the balance and had a nice chat with who I imagine is the owner, and she offered me coffee and cookies. And when we first arrived, a very sweet staff member dropped by to make sure everything was OK. Nice people.

I knew from reading reviews (and management's instructions) that they kept odd hours, so I wasn't counting on them being around. We're pretty low maintenance--we just pretended we were housesitting at a friend's place. In other words, we brought what we absolutely needed and didn't fret over anything else. If you prefer Ritz Carlton service or amenities, you might not like the Casitas, but if you're looking for a good bargain and a funky way to stay in Santa Fe, I'd recommend them for sure.

Also, Garfield is an easy walk to the Plaza and is right off Guadalupe, which has lots of cool shops and restaurants.

2  Thank Marigoldie
Boulder, CO
Reviewed April 10, 2005

I have stayed at the Chapelle Street Casitas three different times over the course of the last five years, in three different units. I have never been dissapointed and in fact have enjoyed my stays extremely much. Bruce the owner is VERY clear as to what to expect when staying here, this is a low-cost, GREAT location, no frills (no spa, no room service) stay and if you are expecting frills you should stay somewhere else. The rooms (apartments, really) are fantastic and give a great flavor of Santa Fe and all are within walking distance of the Plaza. You cannot beat the price/location factor. Bruce has always been more then helpful. He runs a hands-off business, (frankly, I do not want to deal with check-in/check-out and constant interation with hotel staff) but when I have needed him, he has ALWAYS been there. I will continue to recommend the Chapelle Street Casitas to friends and strangers! Thanks Bruce, see you next year !! Or sooner!

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 15, 2005

I am very disappointent with this establishment due to the following sequence of events :

I checked out the Website, read up on the information, and looked at the Virtual Tour.
Place looked decent, so I called regarding possible reservations.
After talking with the owner Bruce briefly, he asked me if I would like to book the reservation for the night we were looking at staying in Sante Fe.
I agreed to make the reservation.
In turn he promptly sent me an Email invoice and the terms and conditions of their Rentals.
After reading through the terms and conditions of the Rentals, I was not comfortable with all the conditions listed.
Called back the same evening to cancel the reservations, and Bruce assured me concerns were unfounded.
I Emailed him that same night confirming that we indeed wanted the Reservation Cancelled and refunded (since it appeared the charges were already processed for the room).
He did confirm the reservation had been cancelled within the next two days.

Unfortunately, the credit to my account was less $40 than the original amount billed. Please note, any cancellation fee was never mentioned until after I received his Emailed Invoice AND after my account had been charged.

My excitement to plan my vacation made me make a now apparent rash decision on booking this rental without getting all the facts up front.

Please learn from my mistake.
> Get all the facts up front.
> Check out any reviews.
> Call around and get a feel for comparable places.

Since I did not stay at this rental, I cannot give you any opinion on the rentals themselves, though you should read the other reviews of this and other comparable lodging in the area to make an educated decision on where to stay.

If by some chance the owner of this establishment makes me whole on the money I am out, look for my followup positive review to this one.

Otherwise, please do your homework and get all the facts before you book your plans.

Signed,
Disappointed in Minnesota

(Losing a little more faith in human nature each day.)

16  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Management response:Responded March 29, 2005

I charged a $ 40 cancellation fee. He called up and made a reservation, I took a deposit. Whenever I take a deposit I make sure to use the word DEPOSIT, I am not sure what part of deposit he did not understand. We verbally discuss deposits and cancellations when we take reservations. We charge $ 40 for a cancellation, much less than most places charge. He called me back about 8 hours later. To be honest I don't remember exactly what we talked about but the conversation ended with his reservation intact. I came in the next day to find an email saying he wanted to cancel. His email said that he wanted to stay at a place where the people knew about Santa Fe. I emailed back and told him that I came to Santa Fe in 1982 and have been here since. He wrote back telling me to quit arguing and demanding that I refund his deposit. I refunded his deposit, less the $ 40 cancellation fee. In his posting on tripadvisor he said he was uncomfortable about my cancellation policy. He never mentioned it to me. If he would have I would have waived the penalty. The bottom line is he was not earnest with me, and I could tell he wasn't. I felt totally justified in charging a $ 40 cancellation. But he sent another email complaining about the $ 40. I NEVER argue with people about the $ 40 cancellation fee. It is petty and I won't do it. I just refund the fee. He said he would change his review if I refunded his money. I refunded his money before this was ever posted. I am posting this 6 weeks later in March. He hasn't changed it. I think that says enough about what kind of person posted this review. If I sound angry I am. It is not fair that anyone with an axe to grind can get on the internet and anonymously say whatever they want.

Waconia, Minnesota
Reviewed October 16, 2004

This place is close to all the downtown attractions-easy walking distance to whatever you want to see. The Cowgirl BBQ is only about a block from one of the casitas, the one on Garfield. This is a great place to eat! The rooms were really not what we expected- it is a very basic place to stay. Hard to distinguish the building as part of the organization- they have places spread out over a number of blocks, and it wasn't marked. Fine for a place to lay your weary head after a day of sightseeing, but not fancy by any means. Around the corner from this place is Hotel Santa Fe- it is a tourist destination in its own right- the only native-owned hotel. Good location is the best part of this place.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Management response:Responded October 21, 2004

This is almost a perfect review of our place. We do not provide luxury lodging. We provide apartments, houses, etc. at an extremely affordable price. You can book one of our 1500 square foot two bedroom houses for less than a ROOM in the Santa Fe Hotel AND be much closer to the Plaza. OR you can get a room, about the size of a motel room, but NOT on a busy street, and WITH a kitchen, AND cuter and nicer, for the price of a motel room.

Reviewed August 14, 2004

I go to Santa Fe regularly, don't have big bucks, have stayed at a variety of places, and am generally an easy rater. And, in view of all that, the only thing positive I can say about the casita I stayed in was that the location was delightful and the owner did give me a refund for the terrible night I spent there and didn't charge for the night after that when I'd bailed out to a decidely budget, but clean, motel with a comfortable bed. Here goes from the beginning. Price was good, I called repeatedly, eventually got a hold of them and made a reservation. Confirmation email should have been a warning; it contained long account of dumb stuff customers had subjected them to in the past and directions for using the television before it got around to the actual confirmation information. I got in about 3 or 4 in the afternoon and found a posted message about when office was staffed and orders not to bother the people who fixed breakfast with stuff. I called the office more then once that afternon (on the casita's PARTY LINEphone) that afternoon during what was supposedly within the period it was open, got voice mail, left voice mails saying I was in, went to office, no one there, no response to yell. I went to do what I'd planned and made the big mistake of not totally checking the place out and taking whatever drastic measures are necessary to get in touch with the management. When I got back after a concert sometime after 9 pm, reality set in. Directions for using the TV weren't in the unit, I hadn't brought mine from the multipage email, only seating in living area was a futon couch set at such an acute angle that it was impossible to lie down on it or sit comfortably, it was packed down hard as a rock, and was covered with hair, yellow Lab by my guess; then into bathroom and discovered curious mix of great ceramic tilework in shower, shower head so low that I could barely get my just over 5' self under it, and tacky plastic shelf unit as storage surface. And then to bed. Bed was a rock hard mattress set on a piece of plywood used to make the storage drawer support unit big enough for the mattress. A thin sheet of foam was placed UNDER the mattress, so I think the owner had at sometime been made aware of it's hardness. After a period of trying to get to sleep on rough sheets and cover in need of washing, I tried to rearrange the bedding to provide some cushioning under me; it was then I discovered that the bedding, was festooned with hair of all colors and lengths (maybe somebody should buy some new bedding or check the filter in the laundry). And along with all that, bedroom and living room windows had sheer curtains on tension rods, bedroom window gets full blast from street light, bedroom window had been open for ventilation when I got there (AC unit is in kitchen and heat if needed for unit would be from aged gas space heaters apparently) and when I went to close it (nights can get chilly in Santa Fe even in summer), the tension rod fell down. Well, about 6 am I wrote a long explanation, left it on the kitchen table and left another voicemail for the management as I didn't see any reason to hang around until they might be available. Later, I got an email saying the owner had been in the office the afternoon I arrived and into the early evening and mentioned that he didn't know when I'd gotten in, in other words, the voicemails I'd left that day stating time of call and that I was in hadn't been listened to and he'd been where? when I went to office. Oh well, like I said, he did refund my deposit.

10  Thank NMLPCC
Management response:Responded August 21, 2004

This woman is basically complaining because my standard mattresses, and standard, futon sofa bed, and standard shower head do not meet her standards, which are obviously pretty narrow.

As the reviewer says, I do have a delightful location, and I DO charge much less than anyone else as close to the Plaza as I am. She says “Price was good”

Our office hours are from 9 to 7, and we are currently hiring to expand them even further to 9 or 10.

She is complaining because we send a long email. Yes we do send a long email. It is full of information about how to get here, how to use the TV, what is furnished in the room, how to check in, how to check out, and much more. ALL of the information is pertinent, and necessary, to making a stay here enjoyable. The FIRST thing I say in our confirmation email is to print it out and bring it with you. She didn’t do that. So she is complaining because she did not follow directions, probably did not read the email and then suffered the consequences. The point of the email is to set expectations, and answer the questions we get asked most frequently.

We have a bed and breakfast and the dining room doubles as an office. Breakfast is extremely busy, the cooks, cook, they do not have time to do anything else until 9:30. So we ask that guests not come in until then.

We do try to keep directions to the TV in the unit but they disappear, that is why we put them in the now infamous, unprinted, and forgotten confirmation email.

The shower head: I am 5’10”, I love that shower, particularly the “great ceramic tile work” and the forceful spray. I try to use all the rooms to sniff out problems. I guess in this woman’s world all shower heads must be a certain height, and must point directly down.

The futon sofa bed: This is a small unit, much larger than a motel room, but small when compared to a house. There is only room for the sofa. I don’t know what to say other than I do not go out and purposely pick out uncomfortable furniture. And furniture manufacturers do not purposely make uncomfortable furniture. IN 5 YEARS NOT A SINGLE GUEST HAS EVER COMPLAINED ABOUT THE COMFORT OF THE FUTON SOFA BEDS IN THAT ROOM OR ANY OF OUR OTHER 30 ROOMS. We do not shop at discomfort zone.

I do have to confess that there probably was dog hair, border collie actually, on the sofa, and the bedding. I remember that the couple who stayed there the two days before had two really sweet border collies. They were a last minute checkin, a walk in. And they were really nice, so I waived the dog cleaning fee, which lead to me forgetting to tell the cleaning people to check for dog hairs. MY BAD, I ACCEPT FULL RESPONSIBILITY. We do accept pets, we do charge fees, which trigger the cleaning staff to check for dog hair. Coincidences conspired, it got missed.

The mattress: It is set on a piece of plywood, on top of a set of drawers. We put them there again because of the small size of the room. I am not sure why the foam was placed under the bed. It would be my guess that some other guest probably thought the foam was too soft, took it off and placed it under the bed. IN 5 YEARS NOT A SINGLE GUEST HAS EVER COMPLAINED BECAUSE A MATTRESS WAS TOO FIRM. Occasionally we get complaints because a mattress is too soft but never the opposite.

Party lines and cheap plastic shelves. Other than cheap motels we are the most affordable lodging within walking distance to the Plaza. We are not the Ritz. We have to take certain measures to cut costs. We are currently looking at phone alternatives; such is Internet phones, so that all rooms can have their own lines. The rooms are nicely furnished with a southwestern ambiance, and immensely preferable to a motel. Motel 6 charges $ 70 a night which is what this woman was charged, and is 5 miles from the Plaza.

As for voicemails, etc. I do not remember, this woman stayed here in early June, and did not post anything until late August. I do remember a voice mail stating that she had arrived nothing else, no complaints. And I do remember getting the voice mail. All she said was “I am here”. What am I supposed to do? I definitely remember the note, and voice mail which were left at 6 in the morning, because it was all about the same things that she said in her tripadvisor posting. I check the voicemail until 10 at night so she communicated nothing until 6 the next morning.

We make every effort, via emails, and phone conversations, to set expectations, completely spell out what services we offer, which is very affordable, minimal service, vacation rental lodging that is a 5 minute walk to the heart of the Santa Fe, Plaza. We also make every effort to filter out complaining, inflexible, people. We take 2000 reservations a year and they all come from the internet. We can not make everyone happy, but I think about 97 percent of the people who stay here are. And for booking rooms sight unseen over the internet I think that is pretty good. We are constantly working to improve things and based upon this woman’s complaints did put in new curtains, on a window that is completely covered by a large shrub, and moved the air conditioner. But sometimes coincidences conspire and we will not be able to make everyone happy, and some people are very difficult to make happy. And sometimes the unhappy ones feel the need to post unconfirmed, unqualified, anonymous “reviews” on the internet. And when you take 5000 reservations in 5 years you will eventually end up with a review like this.

Traveling is about being flexible, this woman obviously is not. She is about as hard and inflexible as she claims my bed is. I again apologize for the dog hair, but do not feel that there is anything else to apologize for. I would welcome any emails and comments on this review and response.

Halifax, Nova Scotia
Reviewed August 5, 2004

The house on Aztec Street was very comfortable and pleasant for two of us, and accommodating when three family members joined us for the last few days of our stay in Santa Fe. Easy to walk to all downtown Santa Fe spots. Airy, spacious interior.
The women who prepare gourmet breakfasts each day at Casa del Toro's pleasant dining area do a fantastic job, and are very accommodating and knowledgeable about restaurants specializing in Southwestern cuisine.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Management response:Responded August 7, 2004

Hi I just wanted to avoid any confusion. This guest stayed with us in one of our Vacation Rentals. We do not typically offer breakfast in these units. They did arrange to come to breakfast at our bed and breakfast The Casa del Toro, (commercial URL)

Thanks