“Nope...not a flea market...and not cheap”

Tesuque Flea Market
Ranked #58 of 272 things to do in Santa Fe
Reviewed January 8, 2011

I visited on Saturday, July 31, 2010. I had been warned not to get my hopes up and I’m glad I was. I spent a whopping 20 minutes there. This is not so much a flea market as a bunch of semi-permanent small stores/stalls of arts, crafts, clothes, jewelry, etc. I did enjoy a couple places that featured African art. Nothing caught my eye to take home though, at least not that could fit in my luggage AND my budget. I probably wouldn’t choose to visit here again but it’s not that far from Santa Fe.

Keith

1  Thank KthSch

Reviewed October 1, 2010

There were quite a few stalls empty when we went but most of the ones there were very good. The jewellry and beads were particularly cheap. A couple of the guys selling ornaments made in Mexico were rather deparate to sell us something and kept lowering their prices. Unfortunately most of their products were too big too fit in our suitcaes for the plane home. Well worth a visit and only a few minutes off the mail road.

1  Thank Lucy A
Reviewed August 13, 2010

Fifteen years later, I still visit, but permanent booths with newer merchandise flood the property. Know your pawn and Native American artists before you go. OR, just go for a cool reminder of your visit, not necessarily authentic. ** Try the NEW Oshara Village Plaza flea market if you want the old flea market style...I collect antique beads, kachinas, old silver, and old pottery....found it there. I'm from Colorado....no ties to either.

3  Thank oli-the-dog
Reviewed February 19, 2010

This is a wonderful market with jewelry, beads, food, art and individuals with odds and ends available. Theres really not a better place to go for a deal in santa fe from what I can see. The vendors appear to be from all over the world and they were all friendly to me. Great experience.

1  Thank adarkbird
Reviewed September 4, 2009

The Tesuque Flea Market was previously the old "Trader Jack's Flea Market", and that's when it was incredible fun and received a ton of great press, especially from the likes of Country Living Magazine and such. It was a wild & woolly place, where you could find just about anything and pay little for it. The Tesuque Pueblo took possession of this once great market (it's part of their reservation) and pretty much sucked all the fun out of it. Although filled with colorful vendors, it consists mostly of overpriced rug dealers, "artifacts" from Africa, and other ethnographic trinkets that cater to the Santa Fe tourist who doesn't want to pay grossly inflated prices on the Plaza. Go for an afternoon, have a Buffalo Burger, enjoy the scenery, but don't expect to be too impressed by the merchandise.

3  Thank crazycowgal