“Boring and small”

Tesuque Flea Market
Ranked #59 of 270 things to do in Santa Fe
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Not worth the trip out there. You can find pretty much the same stuff and more by going to the Plaza. The only extra thing they had at the flea market was Persian/Afgan rugs. It also advertises a food court on their pamphlet but there was no food court.

1  Thank Errbear
There are newer reviews for Tesuque Flea Market

Reviewed July 3, 2013

We were headed back from a visit to the little town of Chimayo when we noticed the sign for the Tesuque open air Flea Market about 10 minutes away from Santa Fe. It was a Friday, so this Friday-Saturday-Sunday venue wasn’t terribly busy. But there were lots of Native American crafts on sale and I’ve since read that the prices are usually cheaper than in the city (although I did find the Native American vendors in the Plaza to be super friendly and prices were fine – having finally purchased a pair of exquisite handmade dream catcher earrings there). But I digress. The Flea Market had a lot of stuff that was interesting, but I only bought a few things from one vendor, Sulla Stone, which is located right next to one of the two entrances. The owners were terrific people who were selling some beautiful stone pieces. They seemed to know the composition and origin of every stone there. We ended up buying 3 pieces and the owners even offered a discount without our having to ask for one. The stone items make wonderful souvenir pieces, and one particularly beautiful piece is now on my coffee table.

2  Thank FrequentTraveller034
Reviewed June 20, 2013

The Tesuque Flea Market is always an adventure - sometimes you find junk and sometimes there are treasures at bargain prices, which was the case this visit. I purchased some lovely indian jewelry for very reasonable prices...one bracelet I purchased I saw in downtown Santa Fe for three times what I paid for it. If you can stand the dust and are a patient bargain hunter, the flea market is the place to go. Be sure to get a large watermelon drink while you are visiting - delicious and refreshing in the desert heat.

3  Thank Traveldiva36
Reviewed June 18, 2013

It was quite cold when we went, in April, and eating the hot shack stuff was fun.
The market was ok, but my real find was Tesuque Pueblo, a mile or two up the road.
Let me be totally clear - there is nothing touristy there, no shops, no cute anything.
Nothing offered as a token of Indian life.
What I found was an average looking church right on the town square. I didn't meet anyone, although they were doing construction.
Now this is going to sound corny, but I definitely felt something there. All the cultural stuff that was being thrust at me elsewhere seemed to make sense at Tesuque. I could imagine the dances, the village life. The square (maybe roundish), was empty but that was where I felt this.
After a few days, I found an excuse to get back there, and felt the same thing. There was nothing there, but it was where I felt the most connected to that ancient culture. And I found it, it wasn't put on show for me.

I know, corn, corn. But I still feel it. Maybe I'm nuts.

2  Thank Englishmanontheroad
Reviewed June 18, 2013

We had never been to this "flea market" before, so we had no preconception of its past reputation. We actually were headed a little further North on the highway so my wife could partake in casino gambling when we saw the signs for the Saturday flea market and decided to check investigate. At first I was a little more than miffed by the signs at the entrance that forbid cameras to be allowed at the market. Do these people actually think I am going home expressly to duplicate their wares? Anyway, I put my feelings aside and entered with hopes of having an enjoyable time here. Good call by us. The market had many vendors selling all kinds of trinkets and art and jewelry. The vendors were friendly and helpful, and we found a silver belt buckle by a well-revered silversmith of the 60's and 70's. The price I feel was well below what would have been asked for in a shop in town and I now wear this buckle with pride. We probably walked through the market in 90 minutes scoping out items to purchase for gifts. Overall, our time here was enjoyable, profitable, and relaxing (a great way to begin this day). I will definitely return next visit!

3  Thank Gordon L