“Surprise!”

Tesuque Flea Market
Ranked #59 of 270 things to do in Santa Fe
Reviewed June 18, 2013

We had never been to this "flea market" before, so we had no preconception of its past reputation. We actually were headed a little further North on the highway so my wife could partake in casino gambling when we saw the signs for the Saturday flea market and decided to check investigate. At first I was a little more than miffed by the signs at the entrance that forbid cameras to be allowed at the market. Do these people actually think I am going home expressly to duplicate their wares? Anyway, I put my feelings aside and entered with hopes of having an enjoyable time here. Good call by us. The market had many vendors selling all kinds of trinkets and art and jewelry. The vendors were friendly and helpful, and we found a silver belt buckle by a well-revered silversmith of the 60's and 70's. The price I feel was well below what would have been asked for in a shop in town and I now wear this buckle with pride. We probably walked through the market in 90 minutes scoping out items to purchase for gifts. Overall, our time here was enjoyable, profitable, and relaxing (a great way to begin this day). I will definitely return next visit!

3  Thank Gordon L
There are newer reviews for Tesuque Flea Market

Reviewed June 13, 2013

The Tesuque Flea Market used to have quite the eclectic mix of fun and funky vendors and goods, but over the past few years, the experience hasn't been quite so enjoyable. There are some good bargains to be found depending on what you're looking for, compared to prices downtown. Seems to have been overtaken by Mexican and Guatamala import vendors, and less "Santa Fe" style goods. However, if you are a beader, there are good choices for jewelry making. Don't expect to see much "Flea Market" (secondhand" stuff, as these vendors have been virtually excluded inside the gates. However, it is free and we always stop there when it's open.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

My wife and I decided to check out this flea market with hopes of finding Native-American pottery. We arrived around 2:30 on a Saturday afternoon and there were a lot of vendors that were closed down (the market isn’t supposed to close down until 4 PM). No pictures allowed on any of Tesuque tribal lands and it is stated on a couple of signs before you enter the flea market. Watch out at the first booth as you enter – that jewelry isn’t turquoise – it is dyed howlite. Also, the baskets are imported. For all of the vendors, check the textiles before purchasing as some are imported from India. You can find some bargains here if you are willing to haggle. I got a large vase from Mexico for $30 that was being sold for $45 (and higher in Santa Fe). The same vendor had falsa blankets, but you can get them a a Love’s travel center on most any interstate for 2/$15. There are other items from Mexico and jewelry from the local Native-American tribes. The jewelry with larger turquoise stones are from the Navajo (mostly), while the finely inlayed turquoise and coral are mostly Zuni. I purchased a Zuni fetish from one of the jewelry dealers for $20 – a great deal considering the size of the fetish and the turquoise inlay in the same. I haggled with one vendor and got him to drop down from $145 to $55 for a wool table runner, but since I wasn’t highly interested, I let him keep it.

TIP: Do not buy something just because you think it is pretty – many of the fake items can be made from items purchased at Hobby Lobby or Michael’s. You need to learn about this stuff before you come out to the flea market.

TIP 2: Do not be surprised if the person trying to pressure you into buying items is of Middle Eastern or of Russian descent. This also applies to some shops in Santa Fe. This seems peculiar for purchasing Native-American items as I was expecting some Native-American vendors.

TIP 3: Put on your bargaining hat. The vendors have many items priced in anticipation of a negotiation over price. If you do not haggle, you will get screwed.

Reviewed May 16, 2013

I can't say that there are excellent deals to be had, but there are many beautiful and unique things. Just a few minutes out of Santa Fe and an easy drive. If you are shopping in Santa Fe, check here on a Saturday or Sunday to compare items and prices.

1  Thank NewPlaceFan
Reviewed May 15, 2013 via mobile

Had so much fun here, it was an unexpected highlight! Got GREAT deals on some silver bracelets (try here before you buy on the plaza downtown for sure), African beads, a really nice Mexican rug, and a couple paintings. And some really great spices, hand-mixed for us. Be sure to visit painter Kelly Moore's over-the-top shed in the middle of the market, it has to be seen to be believed. And he is a trip.

More of an artisan market than a typical flea, although there were some more flea-type booths too. Friendly vendors who will deal, and an incredible view. And, surprisingly yummy chicken tacos!

2  Thank gingerchicken