All reviews other guests sunflower room chamisa suite bed and breakfast common room happy hour social hour granola b bs each morning blue corn opportunity to meet wine and cheese within easy walking distance plaza and canyon road few blocks the main house
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We have been going to Santa Fe for about 20 years...about 18 of those to the Hacienda Nicolas, and Madelaine Inn, owned by Carolyn. We have loved going so much that we just bought a house, and MOVED just outside of Santa Fe. And we STILL went into town and stayed at the Hacienda Nicholas during Santa Fe Indian Market. We have a group of friends that basically buy the place out and take it over during market. The location is great to park your car and not leave again. The staff of Regan, Marilee, Lois, George, Serge and Diana are there to take awesome care of you. The food is great, the personal service paid to each guest is amazing. Recognizing each guest by name...and greeting each of us with hugs. LOVE going to the Hacienda Nicholas...

Room Tip: The rooms are each decorated individually, with Santa Fe décor.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
carolyninnkeeper, Owner at Hacienda Nicholas Bed & Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2013

It was such a delight, as always, to host you and the extended family of friends that has formed over the past 18 Indian Market visits. How wonderful that your interest in Native American art and culture continues to grow, and that you and the rest of 'the gang' continue to find such pleasure in staying together at Hacienda Nicholas. It is truly a joy to see all of you, and we hope the tradition continues for many years to come.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

In the first week in July my husband and another couple with whom we were vacationing stayed at the Hacienda Nicholas. The B&B offered fabulous and sometimes unusual breakfasts. If the main choice of the day was not for us we were offered eggs and an arrray of cereals, granola, yogurt, homemade cakes and toast. We ate outside on a beautiful patio in the midst of gardens. If the weather had been inclement we could have eaten in the lobby which was decorated in a southwestern motif. Our rooms were very comfortable and clean. We saw the owner, who was very personable, at least once daily and sometimes more than once. The employees were friendly and helpful. The location was outstanding for visiting restaurants and shops in downtown Santa Fe....we walked to just about every place.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
carolyninnkeeper, Owner at Hacienda Nicholas Bed & Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2013

I so appreciate your review of the Hacienda, noting our breakfast offerings, decor, rooms, location and set-up. The breakfast menu is varied, generally including regional dishes incorporating various chiles. While many guests delight in those dishes, we fully realize that chile is not for everyone, so are always happy to make a more conventional hot breakfast to go along with the buffet offerings. For much of the year guests love having their breakfast and social hour out on the patio, but during the winter months we always have a fire going in the great room, making for a welcome setting no matter the time of year. As you point out, I am there throughout the week, making sure that all goes as it should, and enjoying the opportunity to spend time with all of our guests - that is the highpoint of an innkeeper's life!

Carolyn Lee
Owner-Hacienda Nicholas & The Madeleine Inn

Reviewed August 12, 2013

I may be a little biased in my evaluation of Hacienda Nicholas – my husband and I are expecting twins and came here as part of our babymoon in New Mexico. We soon learned the owner, Carolyn, is a mother of twins herself – in fact, Hacienda Nicholas and its sister property, Madeleine Inn, are named for her children.

We were immediately in love with the place and naturally took our staying there as a good omen - but auspicious inklings aside, there is so much to love about HN no matter who you are. It’s located just a few blocks from the Plaza and a short drive (you could probably even walk) to the galleries on Canyon Road, yet is secluded enough that you feel surrounded by nature.

We stayed in the Wisteria Room, which, though narrow, still offered plenty of space to move around and put all our stuff. The décor was southwestern, rustic, and very homey. Our bathroom was beautifully tiled with bright red, white, and blue motifs. One quick note of caution: the plumbing is a little old fashioned. It shouldn't be an issue, but is something you may want to be aware of. There's also an open air courtyard great for hanging out and reading, and there are snacks like cookies and nuts, tea and coffee available all day. The spa is top notch too!

Owner Carolyn is so, so, kind and full of great advice and ideas of things to do and see.
Breakfast is delicious, and the cooks were all extremely accommodating to my Celiac needs. That said, my husband still got his fill of homemade waffles and quiche.

Santa Fe is magical in and of itself - and a stay at Hacienda Nicholas is the ideal home base from which to explore and get lost in this special city.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
carolyninnkeeper, Owner at Hacienda Nicholas Bed & Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

What a pleasure to read your review today. I absolutely remember your visit of this past April and our conversations about twins. Hopefully you have been able to procure some of the helpful twin paraphernalia we discussed. Thank you for taking the time to write of your appreciation of the setting, your room, the food and the service. We all enjoyed having you as our guests and hope that you and your soon-to-be-larger family will be able to come and stay with us again - perhaps in one of the much larger vacation rentals!

Reviewed August 4, 2013

We had a good stay here. There are a variety of rooms, ours was on the smaller side but that was fine with us. The bathroom was pretty large so there was plenty of room to get around in there. The bed was comfortable and the room was fairly quiet. Everything was very clean. Breakfast was excellent. I give it four vs. five stars only because I really didn't hit it off with the person working there. It seemed like too much of a "job" vs. something that she was enjoying. Maybe she was just having a rough week. it didn't really hamper our visit, it just didn't feel as friendly as the typical B&B experience.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kevin B
carolyninnkeeper, Owner at Hacienda Nicholas Bed & Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Thank you so very much for your valuable feedback. I am delighted that you enjoyed your room and found the breakfast to be excellent. I am very grateful to learn of your experience with our evenings + Sunday morning innkeeper. She has worked with me for a very long time now, and while many people adore her, it is clear that she has too much on her plate at the moment. She just told me this morning that she hasn't had a day off in 7 months (!!!!!!), as she works two jobs, and her adult son recently came back to live with her. In short, she is burning the candle at both ends and clearly needs a break. Someone will be covering her upcoming Wednesday evening shift, as that is her day off at her other job, so she will have a whole day. I am hoping to find other days when she can take off, but she is putting her other son through school, so is trying to work as many hours as she can. In any case, I truly appreciate you letting me know of this situation so I can find a positive solution. I am truly sorry to have missed meeting you myself, but hope you are able to come back and we might meet at that time.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

We would highly recommend a stay in THE COTTAGE.
We enjoyed the privacy of the garden, and because it is dog friendly, our Chow-Pei dog had a great time running around free, while I sat in our private patio, enjoying puffing on my pipe with a glass of wine.
My wife thoroughly enjoyed the well tended garden and all the extra 'personal touches' that made the experience very pleasant.
The parking area was ample and clean, and among the amenities provided were towels and soap, had I wished to clean my car or my dog.
We went to the 'social hour' at the HACIENDA NICHOLAS where we chatted with other guests over a bottle of wine and a variety of tasty snacks.
The breakfast of blue corn and blueberry waffles was delicious and the friendly staff made our stay a memorable one.

Room Tip: Our room was THE COTTAGE, and we highly recommend it.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
carolyninnkeeper, Owner at Hacienda Nicholas Bed & Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

I am so delighted to read your review on the Hacienda Nicholas, and that you were able to take advantage of our pet policy and social hour. Our Wine Permit Application was submitted today, and we hope to be back to serving wine at the Social House within a few months. Fingers crossed! Those Blue Corn Waffles are always a hit, so were included with other top picks in our cookbook and our website. Hope you get to make them at home, or perhaps come back to the Hacienda for another visit. I will certainly pass your compliments on to the staff as well, and am happy to hear they helped make your stay a wonderful experience. It was a pleasure meeting you and your wife.

Carolyn Lee - owner