“Loved the Nicholas”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Wisconsin
“Loved the Nicholas”
Reviewed March 26, 2008

Our stay at Hacienda Nicholas couldn’t have been better. The staff were incredibly gracious and friendly and the special breakfasts were unbelievable, from French toast stuffed with fruit and cream cheese to delicious omelettes with sides of crispy bacon. Plus plenty of cereals, yogurts, and the freshest of fruit cocktails prepared with elegance and care. And then the wine and cheese parties every evening. The atmosphere was so very friendly that the entire group would be engaged in enthusiastic conversations that we didn’t want to leave. And the staff were also very knowledgeable about the not-to be-missed sites in the area as well as expert advise on the restaurant scene. The staff were so wonderful we felt we bonded emotionally with them, and felt that we could be very good friends with them if we lived in the same city. Our room was lovely with a king-sized bed and fireplace in the bedroom, a sitting room and a private bath, with a convenient entrance to the patio, which led to the main room. In short, we were so happy with our experience at Hacienda Nicholas that when we return, and we certainly will, this is the only place that we would ever consider staying. Thank you, Hacienda Nicholas for making our stay in Santa Fe so incredibly wonderful!!!

• Liked — The wonderful staff members
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Fort Wayne IN
Reviewed March 23, 2008

Friends suggested this B&B to us, and we couldn't be happier. Best B&B we've ever stayed in. Great location -- quiet street but easy walk to the center of old Santa Fe. Amazing food - delicious and varied hearty breakfasts, home-made fresh cookies out all day, and wine and good cheeses and snacks at 5pm. And the friendly, helpful innkeeper, Ann, is a great cook and knowledgeable about Santa Fe. The rooms are fully stocked with everything you might need and are very comfortable.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
rowlett
Reviewed March 22, 2008

We had a wonderful time. The people were very sweet and also very accomodating. The room was great, we will always get that room if available. The location of the INN was perfect, within walking distance of the plaza. We met some other people at the inn with their stories to tell of where they had been. SANTA FE was great. i want to bring the rest of the girls next time. We
will go back. Hello to Carolyn, Anna, Ann, Barbara and Kevin!!!!!!!!!!! love cindy and kristi

• Liked — Our room and the friendly employees
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
Arizona
Reviewed March 21, 2008

Hacienda Nicholas is truly my Santa Fe home away from home anytime I get the chance to visit my Beloved City Different.

Upon my most recent two arrivals, within a week of each other, I was welcomed both times by warm hearted Inn Keeper Ann E. It was so nice to see a happy, familiar face. She helped me get settled; greated me with open arms (seriously), and then settled me down to relax with a nice glass of merlot and cheese and cracker platter in front of this most incredible fireplace in the main room. It was simply delightful and so was she. It was nice to be around someone with such a big heart birthing me back into my Santa Fe moment. Feeling as if I had just died and went to heaven (I kid you not), the next morning was as lovely as the night before as I was then greated ever so warmly by another Inn Keeper Ann (as there are two Ann's that run this Inn)... and there was this most delightful breakfast of fresh fruit, a wonderful egg dish and all kinds of morning yummies (I call it). I felt like a child who had just woken up to one of my mothers morning breakfasts. A great way to start my Santa Fe experience. Not only are the breakfasts' top notch, but the baked goods (which there is a never ending amount of) is mouth watering. And I have to add, if you are travelling with a well behaved pet, Thumbelina my 2.5 pound tea-cup poodle that is no bigger than a minute was actually getting more attention than I (HA HA)... which was hard to believe considering the pampering I got.

The Inn holds an old Santa Fe charm, with a victorian flare. My favorite place was the middle of the main room where this huge fireplace lights up the entire room as the light of the flames danced off the vegas on the ceiling. You can curl up and read a book and just relax into another time and space if you choose, or go off to the lovely patio area and remenise with other guests anytime of year. I have had some wonderful exhanges with the guests that have come there. People from all over the world with some amazing stories and life styles are shared; and yet, if I chose, I had all the alone time I needed as well without ever feeling as if I was staying at an Inn. It was truly memorable.

Hacienda Nicholas is considered in my opinion, a jewel of a bed and breakfast and a sure find! It is consistent; it is next best thing to living in Santa Fe as it is centered right off the plaza so you can walk anywhere into the heart of all that is Santa Fe,not to mention the the Inn itself has so much to offer, including it's very own spa. Truly, you don't have to go far to get a good massage or facial! Hacienda Nicholas is comfortable, clean and very private. You feel completely nurtured your entire stay from the entire staff from the moment of arrival to your departure. What I found very charming is that the owner Caroline was very hands on and makes it her point to join you during morning breakfasts to talk about the Inn and places to go in Santa Fe of interest from a local's stand point. Look bottom line, everyone here made me feel as if they were all giving genuinely 200% to make sure my visit was as comfortable as possible.

One more thing before I go which really shows the integrity of this Inn, those working there, and why I choose to write this review. Upon my first arrival, I came down the very next morning with that horrible flu that was going around that put me in a dead lock. I get to town for a business trip, excited to see old friends, and literally right out of the gate the next morning I was down for almost a week at the Inn and the only thing I was hugging was my bed sheets (and I never get sick.) It was sort of humorous in a way. I was so sick I had to fly home after the first week leaving my car there to return back when I was able. I felt horrible not only because I was so sick, but more so, because I did not want to get anyone sick there. The Staff and Owner Caroline could not have been more compassionate about my situation. They did everything in their power to help me feel better. Everyone doated on me. It got to one point where I was so sick, that Ann the main Inn Keeper insisted I get some medical help and literally escorted me to the Urgent Care around the corner due to her concern for my well being. That is service and says a lot about the kind of people that run Hacienda Nicholas.

Kudos to all of you (Ann E, Ann, Kevin and Caroline), but also to Regan the General Manager who really made both my trips possible by just listening to what my needs were and making it all happen. I can not wait to get back to my Santa Fe Home away from Home and Kevin's most sinful chocolate chip cookies :) Thank you all for everything!

Miss Faerye and Thumbelina!
Goodyear, Arizona

• Liked — The entire experience was amazing
  • Disliked — There was nothing I did not like about this accomodation
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
Denver
Reviewed March 18, 2008

We are reluctant to give HN such a high rating, not because it does not deserve it, but because it is getting so popular over the years we have stayed there that getting a reservation is becoming difficult.
Annie is the best 'on-site' person they have ever had.
Bill & Sharon, Littleton
[-]

Stayed March 2008
Singapore
Reviewed March 3, 2008

The stay at Hacienda Nicholas was an exceptionally memorable experience. It has a very warm and inviting atmosphere with a great fire place. Nothing more inviting than food being prepared in a kitchen and having a chat over wine and nibbles in the evening. It is almost as though you are in your own home. One gets to know other guests and staff in such a relaxing environment. Breakfasts were truly wonderful. It is these individual touches that makes the experience so wonderful. I also particularly liked the thought put towards running the inn in an eco-friendly manner, with dispensers instead of individual containers and reducing the demand on laundry. The warmth and friendliness of staff made the stay most enjoyable.

• Liked — great atmosphere/relaxing/great breakfasts
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
Santa fe, NM
Reviewed February 7, 2008

I stayed at Hacienda Nicholas for an entire week while waiting for my burst pipes to be repaired during a particularly cold week here in town this winter. What had started as a nightmare was turned into one of the most enjoyable weeks of my life. The staff was so very friendly and caring and took very good care of me. While I didn't need the usual visitor information, I did hear them helping other guests with great suggestions and ideas. The breakfasts were incredible and I got very spoiled with excellent southwestern dishes and tasty homemade breads every morning. The room was very comfortable and well-appointed, and I especially loved the bed. I am very picky about my bed at home, so really appreciated the soft sheets, feather comforter and fluffy towels. A fire was burning in the main room every morning and evening, which was really nice. Very helpful too to be able to have wireless internet access. I also took advantage of the inn's spa, just across the street - Absolute Nirvana. Had several treatments and enjoyed them all thoroughly. From now on I will send all out-of-town guests to this inn. They will certainly appreciate the architecture and decor of this authentic adobe hacienda, which is also very close to both the Plaza and Canyon Road

• Liked — It felt like friends and family
  • Disliked — 0