“I have returned 21 times in 17 years!”

Hacienda Nicholas Bed & Breakfast Inn
Ranked #4 of 37 Santa Fe B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 6, 2008

The food was wonderful -- the breakfast migas are something that I will hop up and down for when I return, cookies were warm and tasty, fruit was beautifully served, maple syrup with yogurt was yummy. Regan (in reservations) was a hoot. Anna (innkeeper) was so very kind and charming and anxious to make everyone's stay a treat. My room was lovely and sunny with a skylight, and the bed so comfy, and the linens just beautiful. The housekeeper was considerate about little details of keeping the room maintained. And the charming inn's owner always stops in at breakfast to greet the guests. The on-site spa was an experience that left me feeling like a noodle!

The Hacienda Nicholas experience is always a good one. I can hardly wait to spend Christmas there every year.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Reviewed December 30, 2007

Having never been to Santa Fe before and knowing nothing about it, I booked Hacienda Nicholas for a spa vacation (7 nites). From the moment I entered the Hacienda and (Wisteria) room, I felt very comfortable and at home - except that additionally there were FANTASTIC home-made Breakfasts and fresh-baked Cookies and Cakes supplied throughout the day and night by Ann, Jeri-Ann, and Kevin. Kudos also to Susan for those GENUINE Deep Tissue massage experiences. All those things, as well as their warm company and conversations, go hand-in-hand with how Carolyn and her staff frame the coziness at the B&B because another of the attractions I experienced is that EVERYone walking through their doors was interesting, helpful, and convivial. BTW, I also checked out the Hollyhock room (not having read ANY reviews prior to this my trip) -- just out of curiosity. I want definitely to stay in it the next time - (perhaps now all issues have been addressed). I myself in particular feel the bathroom, and its Mexican tiles, adds a very adorably characteristic, homey, and appropriate atmosphere to the room, inn, and entire wonderful experience of Santa Fe.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled solo
1  Thank Duxsoop
Reviewed December 27, 2007

We just returned from a Christmas stay. The night we arrived there was a snow storm. When we returned from dinner we could not get in. Apparently there had been a break-in and we needed 3 keys, 2 for our room and one for the front door/gate. We were not given the 3rd key. There was a phone by the front door, but the 1st number was no longer in service. The next number did not require the 9 as stated. Finally, we reached Carolyn who kept saying she was hosting a party. We were standing at the front door in the snow with no way to get into the building. Finally, she said they would come get us. Just then my husband found an old gate on the side of the main building and managed to get it open. I told Carolyn this and she said that if we were able to get in to call her at the number on the laminated sheet in the room. We did get in our room because our room was out back. There was no laminated sheet with who to call with problems, only directions to call 911. We never heard anyone say they were sorry about the experience. They need to get the check-in straightened out and update the phone list at the door and supply the rooms with the necessary phone lists.

3  Thank Kathy046
carolyninnkeeper, owner at Hacienda Nicholas Bed & Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2008

I am happy to read that this guest would most likely recommend Hacienda Nicholas to their best friend, despite the initial problems with the keys. There are a couple of points that I feel compelled to make in response to the comments. Firstly, we have never had a break-in at Hacienda Nicholas and I find it curious that the guest would write such a thing. Because we are inspected yearly by AAA, we follow their guidelines regarding room safety. There is both a door lock as well as a deadbolt, each with their own key. There is a third key for the main entrance and the back entry gate entrance. Clearly there was a problem in that this key was missing from the ring, as it had been used by the last guests. We should have realized that this ring was missing a key, and that is indeed our fault. I feel very badly about that situation.

Secondly, I would like to say that we have been using the same late-night problem set-up for the past 20 years and it has worked brilliantly. The first number on the front door, should a guest have a problem after hours, is my evening cell phone. I go out rarely at night, and when I do, this phone is glued to my person should there be any problems at all. I also sleep with this phone by my bedside. This was indeed the number I answered when these guests called. I don’t understand why they said the number was no longer in service. I answered this phone immediately, as always. There is a second number which is simply routed to my home, should there be a problem with the cell phone. The third number, which does not indicate that a “9” must be dialed, is given with the directions that it be called if for some reason the front door is locked during the day and a guest needs assistance from the office.

Thirdly, and very importantly, when the guest called to say she was not able to get in, I told her that I was very very sorry about the situation, that I was at a party, and it would take me 15 minutes to get there. Had I been hosting a party I would have been there in 2 minutes as I live just 2 minutes from the inn itself. I told her I would find my husband and leave immediately. I apologized again that she was out in the cold, and said I would come asap. Just then she told me that her husband had gone around to the back entrance and found it open so they did not need any help. I take issue with the fact that she wrote something so erroneous, saying that I kept saying I was hosting a party and finally said I would come. This is simply not true at all. I only told her we were at a party and that I would be there as soon as possible.

I did ask that they call me and let me know that they had indeed gotten to the room and that I would certainly come immediately if they needed any assistance. I never heard from them so I got concerned. We left the party and went right to the Hacienda Nicholas. I saw that their light was out and did not want to disturb them. I stayed and swept a path in the snow on the patio, thinking that if they were still awake and wanted to talk, they might hear me and come out. They did not come out, so after shoveling, I went on home.

Lastly, she also wrote saying there was no laminated sheet in the room with directions, yet this room, and all the rest, have these laminated sheets on each bed at check-in. It is possible that they moved the sheet and it got covered with their belongings. We check that these sheets are there every day, as they contain very important information. I am thinking that we should perhaps have this information framed and on the wall in case something like this happens in the future.

I am always grateful to get feedback from guests as it helps us to do the best job we possibly can in accommodating our clients.

Reviewed December 19, 2007

This 4-night stay was our second visit to Hacienda Nicholas and won't be our last. The whole place feels very homey and comfortable. There are munchies and iced drinks available 24/7 in a great room that has tons of ambience. We've always met new people and have had great conversations at breakfast and gathered around the fireplace in the evenings. My favorite breakfast, by the way, is the granola with maple yoghurt. And a bowl of fresh fruit.

This is a 1920's adobe and is comfortable like a favorite old pair of slippers. It's quirky and adorable. The whole place is conducive to conversation and interaction with both your fellow travelers and the staff. Yet the individual rooms are cozy, comfy and very private. You can retreat into quiet when needed. We loved the geranium-sage lotions and potions, and the delightful Mexican-tiled bathrooms. I hope I'm conveying what a relaxed, friendly kind of place this is. Feels like I'm staying at mom's house at Christmas.

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed December 11, 2007

Stayed in the Sunflower room for 2 nights recently - great time. The bed was very comfortable, huge bathroom. Nice closet space to stick your luggage. The courtyard would be wonderful in warmer weather times.

This place has a ton of food available all the time. Homemade granola was great - we added the maple yogurt to it for a treat. The were so many cookies and cakes we never got dessert out, but always returned and nibbled here instead.

The wine and cheese and hour was also good food. The wine is 2-buck-chuck so nothing special of course, but the 3 or 4 cheeses were yummy.

The only thing was that we had to ask for more wood for the fireplace both nights; they need to provide a nice stack/stand in the room. We hunkered down and read in front of it and used more than the average guest.

We did a package with a massage and rose petal bath at the spa. Wonderful and very decadent feeling.

Stayed: November 2007
Reviewed December 6, 2007

We plan to return to Santa Fe based on our stay at the Hacienda Nicholas. The inn is warm, comfortable, relaxed, friendly and extremely well-priced. Factor in the savings due to the ample, delicious breakfasts and we felt as if we were getting away with something!

Carolyn, the owner, is genuinely interested in her guests' comfort and satisfaction, and this spirit is reflected by all her staff. Everyone was engaged and generous with their time and recommendations. Kevin's and Ann's dinner recommendations were exactly right, and the parade of baked goods from their ovens was always, and deliciously, available.

We stayed in the Nicholas Suite and found it to be delightful. All the rooms I saw seemed quite nice, even the smaller ones. The descriptions on the web site are very accurate, but I think the photos make some of the rooms appear smaller than they actually are. The warm, crackling fire in the great room was most welcome during our early December stay, and I look forward to enjoying the lovely courtyard on future warm weather visits. From now on, this is where we will stay.

1  Thank Travelingspud
Reviewed November 30, 2007

We stayed in the Hollyhock room and it was not very good. The bathroom needed some coats of paint. You couldn't open the door in the bathroom all the way because there was a very old and disgusting looking cabinet behind it. It was the kind of cheap cabinet you didn't want to touch. The entire room was very cold but luckily we found a space heater in the closet. The breakfast is basically a continental breakfast with one warm dish. But be advised that the main dish will always have meat so if you don't eat meat then you are stuck eating yogurt or cereal.

The location was very convenient to everything and my parents stayed in Wisteria which was a much nicer room. Hollyhock just really needs to be redone. I would not stay here again since there are so many other places in Santa Fe and I did not fall in love by any means.

Stayed: November 2007
4  Thank tulsau
carolyninnkeeper, Owner at Hacienda Nicholas Bed & Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2007

I am so sorry that this guest did not enjoy their stay in the Hollyhock Room. The cabinet in the bathroom is a basic laminated shelf unit for guests to use for extra toiletries, if needed. The bathroom did recently have a patch of plaster that was drying, due to a plumbing problem, but that is now fully repaired and painted.
There is a welcome note in each room which lets the guests know each room's heat can be controlled individually, and to please let us know if they would like the heat raised or lowered. I regret that this guest did not let us know that they were cold, as the heat could have been adjusted for them within a few minute's time.
Lastly, the breakfast hot dish is sometimes waffles or pancakes, sometimes a vegetarian dish, and sometimes has meat in it. I have just instituted a new policy, based on this guest's complaint, and that is that there will always be a vegetarian hot dish. It has been our practice to make scrambled eggs or tofu for vegetarians when there is meat in the main dish, but always having a vegetarian offering will no doubt be a much better option.
I thank him/her for that feedback.
In addition to the hot item, we always serve fresh fruit, organic muesli, homemade granola, homemade breads, organic whole grain breads, two kinds of yogurt, cereals, and often will serve bacon or sausage on the side of a vegetarian dish. The vast majority of our guests have been ever so happy with our selection, though we are always happy to consider new choices and advertise on our website that we will accommodate any food needs and/or allergies if we are notified in advance.