All reviewsother guestssunflower roomchamisa suitebed and breakfastcommon roomhappy hoursocial hourgranolab bseach morningblue cornopportunity to meetwine and cheesewithin easy walking distanceplaza and canyon roadfew blocksthe main house
Reviewed March 24, 2011

My husband and I have stayed in the Madaline before and without hesitation asked to stay there again for this trip. The Madaline is also run by the same owners as the Hacienda Nicolas. It's across the street. It's where breakfast and happy hour are served. The staff continue to be friendly, professional, helpful and welcoming. Highly recommend to anyone whom likes to stay in B&Bs. Its great being so close to the Plaza. I was only sorry that the weather didn't allow us to sit outside in the lovely garden.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 28, 2011

My husband and I recently returned from a 3 day getaway weekend in Santa Fe. Staying at Hacienda Nicholas was an excellent choice for us as we were looking for a reasonably priced hotel near the Plaza with a top rated Spa.
First, we stayed in the Nicholas Suite. Comfy, cozy and charming. My only complaints--the heat seemed to be either on or off there was no real in between and the bathroom didn't have a vent so was pretty chilly in the middle of the night and morning. Neither of these were a deal breaker for us as we knew we were staying in an original hacienda. The room was cleaned daily. Breakfasts and evening wine socials were both delicious and unpretentious. All in all a great value with a good location near the plaza in Santa Fe. We would definitely stay again in the future.
Next, our experience at Absolute Nirvana--deluxe treatments--was the perfect kickoff to a relaxing weekend. The spa was a short walk across the street, the treatment rooms were cozy, calming and, to my surprise, allowed for the massage, body scrub, steam shower and rose petal bath all within the same room. Though I'm not a super shy person, the idea of walking through any spa barely dressed is never a completely relaxing experience--since all the facilities were within the same room I was able to deeply relax.
Though this is not a place I would stay with our 2-year old, this is definitely a great find for adults or families with older children. We loved our stay at Hacienda Nicholas!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JCs_Luv2Travel
carolyninnkeeper, Owner at Hacienda Nicholas Bed & Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2011

I am happy to hear that our recent guests from Kansas City would be happy to come back and stay with us for another visit, and that they thoroughly enjoyed their stay at both the inn as well as their spa treatment at our Absolute Nirvana Spa.

As for the heat in the room, I have checked it and it is working perfectly. It is a forced air system, with a thermostat in the room itself. As with all forced air systems, once the room is heated to the desired temperature, the heat stops as it is no longer called for. When the room begins to cool down, the heat is demanded once again. Perhaps they are accustomed to radiant and not familiar with forced air?

The bathroom vent does not bring in much warm air, due to the nature of the adobe structure, but there is a separate heater in the bathroom for just this reason.

It is always good to get feedback, as it helps us to do a better job. It would be really nice to rip out the floor and put in radiant heat, but unfortunately, I am not able to undertake such a project at this time. In the meantime, I will see if I can't get a better heat system in the bathroom.

Reviewed February 21, 2011

This was our second stay at the Hacienda Nicholas. We have stayed both times in the Chamisa suite since it has the Kiva fireplace right at the foot of the bed. It also has its own entrance out into the courtyard and is the closest room to parking and the Nirvana spa.....ahhhh the Nirvana spa, the best I have been to in the world and I am a bit of a spa officiando! The spa and hacienda staff are very welcoming and friendly. Upon our arrival the innkeeper personally walked me over to check in, when she could have just pointed the way if she wanted.

I was pleased to see some added amenities from our last visit.....a coffee maker and fridge have been added to the room. I personally have no need for the fridge but do have some friends with diabetes, that must have a fridge for insulin and this is a nice addition. COFFEE was excellent to have and not have to go to the common room in the middle of the night. I was also pleased with the new plush spa like towels. I love thick, soft towels and these were excellent. Even hubby commented (which says alot!). I am modest and not a person to anter about in a robe, but there are two nice spa robes waiting in the bathroom for you.

The hot breakfast was just simply delicious....an egg, cheese, bacon, green chile enchilada with black beans, sour cream and salsa sides (see pic). Wonderful fruit cups with a good variety of fruit (cantelope, melon, strawberries, pineapple & blackberries). As always there are fresh muffins, cereals and other traditional morning fare. I love their coffe, full bodied without that overpowering bitterness.

Both times we've come in the winter. I can't wait to come back in the summer some time to enjoy an evening out on the patio with a nice fire or a breakfast out there as well. Wish I had the money and time to recreate that interior courtyard at my own home!

They are in an easy walking distance to the plaza and our favorite restaurant, the Bull RIng. The Bull Ring is a bit pricey but worth it! Everything is out of this world delicious, the wine selection is superb and the service is excellent. They locals really push Pasqals....don't bother overpriced, arrogant staff, tight seating and skimpy food. Though I did get to sit thigh to thigh (literally) with an A-List celeb! LOL! Bobcat bites is a great place for lunch! Cheap and good. There will likely be a small wait, but its worth it.

Be prepared to lay down some bucks when shopping in Santa Fe....everything is way overpriced so they can afford to pay their leases/mortgages. For cheap eats try (as I suggested) Bobcat Bites on the outskirts of town and for shopping go to the Old Trading Post. Stuff is much less expensive there than other places with the same offerings. I got some nice coats off their 75% off rack that were triple to price in other boutiques.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Zeke-n-Sheila
Reviewed February 20, 2011

On a cross-country trip that started on the east coast, my partner and I lucked out when we were able to secure a room at Hacienda Nicholas on a last minute decision to spend a day in Santa Fe. Immediately upon entering Hacienda Nicholas you feel as if you are visiting friends, since the inn has a elegant and tastefully decorated, "homey" feeling. Road weary travelers as we were, the staff of Hacienda Nicholas met us with wine and fresh baked cookies upon our afternoon arrival and encouraged us to enjoy them in the beautiful, secluded "secret garden-esque" courtyard just before sunset. Having only a short time to experience Santa Fe we couldn't believe how close we were to downtown, with all its art galleries, shops and restaurants. Upon retiring for the night we greatly appreciated the crisp, fresh white linens and comforter on the substantial antique bed, as well as all the unique southwestern decorations picked just for our room. Again, you felt like you were special guests at a friend or family members' residence in the level of comfort and personal touches Hacienda Nicholas offers. A delicious fresh-cooked meal of egg strata with fresh fruit, yogurt and granola was accompanied by wonderful conversation from a very knowledgeable staff member who also gave us suggestions of what route to take on our way out of town and what sights to stop at on the way. Everything he suggested was just as he had described, and added greatly to our trip! We loved Hacienda Nicholas and can't wait to book an extended stay there in the future! I've told all my friends and family about this hidden gem and hope to be able to share it with everyone I know who is looking to have a wonderful visit to Santa Fe!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 11, 2011

...the best experience I've ever had staying in a lodging away from home...over a mile high in a cozy hacienda with a splendid fireplace, cozy, comfortable, and beautiful architecture, facilities, and surroundings both inside and out make this a truly magical place ... the staff, which I liken to kindred, are magnificent and are at the heart of the magic: thank you ever so much, Marilee, Diane, Diana, Skye, Regan, and Allison, for an unforgettable experience ~ I've never felt so at home before. Marilee and Diane, I immensely enjoyed your lovingly prepared and delicious food dishes and our discussions during appetizer and breakfast times ... thank you ever so much!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business