“I highly recommend the Tabla de Los Santos restaurant at the Hotel St. Francis” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel St. Francis

Hotel St. Francis
Ranked #22 of 61 Hotels in Santa Fe
Albuquerque, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2010

My husband and I made a day trip to Santa Fe and stayed at the Hotel St. Francis. We have stayed overnight a few times before. The hotel is located in one of the best spots in Santa Fe for shopping, eating, walking, etc. The Tabla de Los Santos restaurant is located in the Hotel St. Francis. I have to say that The Tabla rivals my most favorite restaurant in Santa Fe, Cafe Pasquales. The restaurants are just across the street from each other. I have eaten at the Tabla now about 4 or 5 times and I absolutely loved each meal! The food freshness (they use local farms as suppliers), the presentation, the light/flavorful sauces and the portion size ( not over stuffed but just right) has made this one of my favorites in the Albuquerque and Santa Fe area. If you are waiting hours to get into Cafe Pasquales, I would highly recommend that you walk across the street to the Hotel St. Francis and try dinning at the Tabla. You will not be disappointed.

Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
6 Thank AMarieH5290

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2010

My wife and I made an impromtu visit to Santa Fe and booked this hotel quite late. Given some of the other review we were concerned the room would be small. On the contrary, while intimate and simple it was really quite nice. All the fixtures were up to date, the furnishings new and elegant. The bath, while simple was spotless and very serviceable.

The location is very good, near the plaza but not too near. Parking was good.

I had several bussiness issues that had to be resolved and had faxes sent and received and a fedex envelope sent. All were handled flawlessly by the front desk, and cheerfully to boot.

Other reviewers need to consider that this is Santa Fe not St. Louis. Rooms will be smaller and prices higher, but the Hotel Saint Francis is a place we will return to.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
5 Thank mdcbooks
Redondo Beach, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2010

If location and budget are important, this place is fine. It's close to everything you want to see. The block itself is rather boring, the front patio offers nothing much in terms of people watching. Despite this the street was pretty loud with truck noise, etc. in the middle of the night. The decor is simple and attractive, especially the lobby. However, the minimalist aesthetic, attractive in the public areas, left something to be desired in the rooms: things you take for granted, a mirror, place for luggage, and ample place to put toiletries in the bathroom. What was really surprising was that we had supposedly been upgraded from an even smaller room because they had accidentally cancelled our stay. But we passed lots of rooms being made up, all bigger so maybe they were going to put us in a closet. Generally we don't care about room size since we don't travel to hang out in hotels, but I actually had to keep my toiletries on the floor and we barely had room to set up an ironing board to iron. But, for the money, you do get to be right near all the more expensive places. If that's your priority then you should be satisfied.

• 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank phoebe50
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2010

When you book this hotel know that you will be staying at a unique historical hotel. The entire hotel is exceptionally clean and the staff is very accommodating. The atmosphere of this hotel is top notch. Each afternoon after a long day of shopping we would sit out on the patio and enjoy the amazing speciality drinks from El Secreto bar. The rooms are smaller but to be expected due to the age of the hotel however they offer all upgraded amenitys that would be expected at a high end hotel. The room was gorgeous and the bed was very comfortable. The linens were amazing! We had two meals in the restaurant, breakfast and dinner. For breakfast I highly recommend the Pinon French Toast and for dinner the Pork Chop was amazing. This is not your typical stuffy big box hotel. The St Francis offers a unique elegant and relaxing one of a kind experience.
Things to do and location. We had a car but hardly used it. We were able to walk to everything except 10,000 waves (amazing spa in the mountain). Don't miss the Cathedral, Canyon Road or Mable St Brewery they offer great local beer.
Overall I can't say enough good about this hotel and Santa Fe. This by far was one of the best most memorable vacations we have ever taken.

5 Thank Traveler60933
Philadelphia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel St Francis on the final night of our week long journey through Northern New Mexico. We booked the Hotel at the very last minute after checking into the Sunrise Springs Hotel just outside of Santa Fe, and finding it to be disappointing and creepy. I simply chose this hotel based on the review in our Frommers Travel Book and a little good vibes, I said "St Francis hasn't led me astray so far, so lets go with it!"

What a wonderful surprise! We checked in late after spending an hour under the care of the Ten Thousand Waves Spa and feeling generally blissed out. The calm, serene, clean palatte of the lobby decor was perfectly aligned with our chilled out mood. My husband remarked that it reminded him of some of the super-designy hotels that we've stayed at in other cities.

Our room was small but so cozy, clean and again--- tastefully decorated. The bathroom was large in comparison. The room had an understated elegance we found to be appealing.

The internet was by far the fastest that I've ever had at a hotel period. This was AWESOME. I was able to download my tv shows and podcasts before leaving for the airport the following day.

The only complaint that I can make was that our air conditioning may not have been on when we checked into the room, and we didnt realize it could be adjusted until the next morning, so we may have slept a bit warmer than we would have preferred.

I commend The Hotel St Francis for using locally made decor and furniture. No tacky played out Southwestern decor here---just clean minimalism with a southwestern twist.

Oh, we also loved the photo exhibition on the second floor. I wish we could come back again, the hotel was great.

5 Thank Fiche
Edmond, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2010

If you are looking for something a bit unique this is the place. The hotel is beautifully furnished and exceptionally clean. The room was small, but we were only there for one night and we spent most of our time walking the plaza and enjoying the city. It was wonderful to return to a quaint room with one of the most comfortable beds we've ever had in a hotel. We will definitely return.

2 Thank tiptravels
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2010

Before booking our trip, we read the reviews on TA and we expecting a small room. Small is an understatement! I have stayed in Midtown Manhattan at a boutique hotel and had a room twice as big. After placing the two suitcases on the floor, my wife and I had to take turns walking around the room b/c it was too small. Bathroom, forget it. If I was overweight I would not be able to fit in the shower (with no light btw). As we checked out after our first night, the housekeeper even commented that the hotel had gone down hill after the renovation. Oh, forgot to mention how uncomfortable the bed was. Traditional queen room was the size of my bathroom at home. Lobby was increadible, too bad the rooms are not. Breakfast was nice, killer Christmas style breakfast burrito. On the plus side, the front desk staff was very helpful and helped us check out after our first night. Walked over to Hilton and got a nicer room for a lot less!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Travel4Fun_DC
RoomsMgr, Manager at Hotel St. Francis, responded to this review, July 20, 2010
Thank you for sharing your experience. Our goal is to always portray the product best to clients looking to stay with our hotel. Although there are many different rooms types in our inventory all of the rooms share the same common design of the room. Same quality bed, frette linen, same quality furniture by local artisans from Santa Fe, and currently. Each room has the enjoyment of tranquility. Hotel St Francis is an historic hotel in which rooms were originally built small. In fact, this particular room type (the queen) was sold in the 1920 with the option of purchase without a bathroom. At the end of the hallway, there was community bathroom that was available to all guests. In time, bathrooms were installed into each sleeping room and this took away some of the space. The hotel has rooms with more items in the room; please keep this mind while shopping this hotel. Our staff will be more than glad to provide more information to you. This queen room is our most basic room type, where guest may chose the ambiance and cost is more important than the size room.