“Landmark hotel that is relaxing, clean and convenient.”
Review of Hotel St. Francis

Hotel St. Francis
Ranked #27 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Reviewed May 6, 2010

I was very happy with my 2-night stay at the Hotel St. Francis. It was recently renovated and the management did a nice job preserving its historical feeling while introducing modern conveniences. I enjoyed the clean lines of the decor in both the public areas and my room. I had a corner room with casement windows that opened upon a nice view of the mountains. The hotel's parking lot was convenient and reasonably priced, and I also enjoyed the convenience of walking from the hotel to many sites, cafes and galleries nearby. The staff was friendly and helpful. I originally had a 1-night reservation but extended it due to a windstorm, and was happy to stay one more night. The bed was great, and the room was quiet. The only area for improvement that comes to mind would be to have a little brighter (and less harsh) lights in the rooms.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo
7  Thank rwchicago
There are newer reviews for Hotel St. Francis

Reviewed May 3, 2010

I like the new decor and especially the new elevator! The bar is nice, but the music was a bit "sleepy". I wish the lobby was more inviting to lounge in. Perhaps some music in the lobby and lower lights in the evening to enjoy all the candlelight? Or perhaps free wine receptions each night from 5 - 7? Also, I would like to see morning coffee more easily accessible perhaps by setting up a simple serve yourself coffee bar in the Lobby? Do I like Hotel St. Francis? I love it and will continue to stay here for both business and pleasure!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
8  Thank martinezinla
Reviewed May 1, 2010

The location's great -- a block off the old plaza, and the hotel still has a lot of charm, despite the redo. The staff are friendly and helpful, and our room has always been very clean and comfortable. The linens are high-quality, with a good choice of pillows. The extensive remake in the public area (following a change in ownership) has been tastefully done, and the old elevator replaced by a larger one that's accessible without climbing the stairs. Prices have risen, so it's no longer the value it once was, but it's still not bad compared with others in the area. We tried to improve the value by opting for the package that included dinner, which gave us an opportunity to sample the cuisine of their new chef. The restaurant has lots of windows with a good view of adobe walls set against the bright blue sky, and it's quiet and elegant. The food quality was mixed, so if you opt for the package, be careful what you order (they did the trout well, and the flan was excellent) -- see my review under Tabla de Los Santos if you want details. We've stayed at the St. Francis 21 out of the past 22 years -- I hope we can afford to stay here next year (without the dinner package). Incidentally, if you're looking for entertainment after dinner (or with dinner or burger), the piano bar at Vanessie is hard to beat. Doug Montgomery, Charles Tichenor, and Al Rogers do a great job and are all highly talented -- always a true delight -- whoever happens to be there when you visit.

8  Thank glassyraven
Reviewed April 20, 2010

I had the pleasure of staying at the St. Francis Hotel for 4 nights recently. I stayed at the hotel once prior to renovation and I enjoyed my stay at that time. What a wonderful experience at the newly renovated hotel. The decor is simple, attractive, and tasteful and the lobby music is calming and soothing. The hotel reminds me of a clean unpretentious European hotel. My room was small and efficient and offered great value for the cost. I loved the bedding. the down comforter, the comfortable mattress and the generous six pillows, including several European size, on my single bed. I appreciated the new restaurant. and I think all of Santa Fe will soon discover the talented chef and the excellent meals. The food is attractive, healthy and good! The restaurant staff and hotel personnel were friendly and helpful. I travel to Santa Fe often. St. Francis i will always be my hotel of choice and I highly recommend it. The quality, the price, and the location can't be matched! I have already recommended it to my friends.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo
7  Thank marthacazenave
Reviewed April 18, 2010

We stayed at the Hotel St. Francis recently and loved it! I wanted to write a review because it appears that this hotel is rated somewhat poorly on Tripadvisor. This may be because the ratings were either before or during the remodeling. From descriptions and pictures, I don’t know if I would even call it a remodeling – it appears to be an entirely new hotel.
First, some people may not like this place. The décor is simple, in keeping with the monastery theme. There aren’t a lot of decorations, and the floors are wood, not carpeted. Personally, I prefer this; it seems much cleaner. Speaking of clean, the hotel is immaculate. Also, the rooms are small, and the sink is in the room, which some guests may not like.
I loved our room: white walls and bedding, with simple wooden floors and furniture. Our room faced south, so it was very bright and airy. We opened the windows to let in a nice breeze. This room was unlike any other hotel room that I’ve seen before, and the bed was very comfortable. Our keys were small wooden crosses with a computer chip. The location is perfect, just a block from the plaza.
Even if you aren’t staying here, stop by to see the lobby in the evening. Calming music plays in the background. It is dark, lit by candles and small lights, and in the center there is a large baptismal font. We sat next to the fireplace on the comfortable couches one evening.
As we were carrying our luggage out on our final morning, a housekeeper approached me and put some Hershey kisses in my hand!
Our cost was $153 per night, including all taxes and a $9 per night parking fee. I would highly recommend the Hotel St. Francis.

7  Thank IlliniTrav
Reviewed April 12, 2010

After a long day of travel the warm glow of Hotel St. Francis welcomes you in and takes hold of your soul. The beautiful yet minimalist Franciscan decor is perfect for soothing the stress of the day. The employees are very friendly, the rooms cozy and the food wonderful. This is a great hotel to relax in, take in the beauty and history of Santa Fe and enjoy New Mexican culture. The hotel is great for small business meetings and ideal for a romantic get away!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
6  Thank hmp1234
Reviewed April 10, 2010

Great location. Everything is within walking distance. Hotel is very charming and exactly what is expected via the website.

8  Thank luvtotravel056