“perfect location, excellent service, couldn't be any better”
Review of Hotel St. Francis

Hotel St. Francis
Ranked #26 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Las Cruces, New Mexico
“perfect location, excellent service, couldn't be any better”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I travel to Santa Fe on business frequently and I have stayed at the St Francis several times over the last 2 years. There couldn't be a better hotel, the rooms are affordable (compared to other hotels in for Santa Fe) and the staff is nice. It is perfectly located in the downtown area within walking distance of the square and most restaurants and museums. I am coming back, that's a promise...

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
7 Thank Grass M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
Kansas City, Missouri, United States
Reviewed July 27, 2013

The hotel is in a great location close to the Historic Plaza and shops. The décor is beautiful and simplistic, in the style of a Franciscan monastery. In fact, there was a giant Old World Spanish type cross on the wall at the end of the hallway outside our room. My boyfriend and I were relieved to find we'd be safe from vampires :)

The room was rather small but nicely appointed and clean. We stayed in a Queen standard room - would suggest requesting a corner room, as they're a little bigger. We stayed in 316. The hotel was built around 1880, and it showed in the floors in our room, which is the main reason I gave it 3 instead of 4 stars. There's an area in the middle of the room where the floor is very rickety and there's actually a hole you can feel through the carpeting. I felt like I had to be careful where I walked. Floors were very uneven. I'm sure it's structurally sound though, as they last remodeled in 2009.

The front desk staff were fantastic. Great customer service! They printed out directions for us to several locations we asked about, and were very friendly, helpful, and welcoming in general.

We ate breakfast at the restaurant a couple of times & it was wonderful. We sat outside on a pretty cobble stone patio. The food and service were excellent. One morning the chef sent over a couple of complementary muffins for us while we waited for our order.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room
2 Thank Susan C
AlderKaitlin, Front Office Manager at Hotel St. Francis, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
Hello Susan C; we appreciate you taking the time to give us a review about your stay at Hotel St Francis. We're so happy you liked our excellent location and simple but elegant decor. Our hotel is the oldest in Santa Fe and so does have historic quirks such as older flooring. We're pleased that we could provide you with a warm welcome and excellent customer service throughout your stay. Our staff prides itself on excellent customer service! We would love to invite you back for another great stay and tasty meals on our patio during your next vacation to the "City Different". Alder Seaman
San Diego, California
Reviewed July 26, 2013

My boyfriend and I are visiting Santa Fe. This weekend. We came across the most wonderful restaurant in the St. Francis Hotel. Tabla de Los Santos was amazing. We had the Lamb chops which were so flavorful and tender we couldn't stop eating it even though we were full. The salmon was fresh and served over a lemon risotto that was creamy and divine. The dining room is very. charming with a lovely fireplace and they also have a pretty patio. The service was great and prices are reasonable. The Chef stopped by our table to make sure all was well , he was such a nice man.
this restaurant is a must if you visit the area.

6 Thank ferraradiane
Hello and thank you for reviewing Tabla de los Santos! We appreciate you taking the time to post a review and we value your feedback. The restaurant has recently changed ownership and it is great to hear that the food and the service impressed you. Our historic hotel has a great downtown location and we're glad you enjoyed the ambiance as well as the eating experience. The staff of Tabla would love to welcome you back for another excellent meal next time you visit the area. Alder Seaman
Chestertown, Maryland
Reviewed July 25, 2013

My son and his fiance were married at the Hotel St. Francis last weekend. It was a fabulous setting for a wedding in the lobby! The events staff were very responsive in meeting our needs and setting up the chairs, podium, cocktail bar, etc. The wedding pictures are spectacular due to the atmosphere of the setting. The seated dinner reception in the restaurant was out of this world. Guests had three choices for the main course. The food was upscale and much superior to what you normally have at a wedding reception. The couple that just took over the restaurant were fun to work with. I highly recommend the hotel for a wedding. Everyone attending had a great experience.

5 Thank admurray
AlderKaitlin, Front Office Manager at Hotel St. Francis, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Hello and thank you for your review of the historic Hotel St Francis and Tabla de los Santos, the on-site restaurant. We are thrilled to hear how well your son's wedding and your overall experience went. We are always happy to host weddings at our property and it is just great to hear that you loved the setting, the food and the great service from our team. We have printed your review and put it up in the kitchen so the Tabla staff can read it. We would love to see you again for another delicious meal and great service when you next visit Santa Fe. Alder Seaman
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed July 24, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel several times over the past ten years, and have always had a great experience. The staff is very helpful and the rooms have character. If you are traveling alone, a standard size room is fine; if you are traveling as a couple, I recommend the deluxe rooms for a bit of extra space. The beds are comfortable, and I have never had a problem with noise from other rooms. This is an older property, recently remodeled, so don't expect a lot of counter space in the bath room. The hotel is in walking distance of all Plaza and downtown attractions. It has a lovely front patio attached to the Secreto Bar, which makes a great spot for a drink and people watching.

Room Tip: The corner rooms tend to be a bit larger.
5 Thank 383ingridn
AlderKaitlin, Front Office Manager at Hotel St. Francis, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Hello Ingrid_85737 and thank you for your repeat patronage at our historic hotel! We appreciate you taking the time to write a review and we are glad you've continued to have great experiences here at Hotel St Francis. Our rooms do indeed have character; our location and our beds are hard to compete with and we very much appreciate your feedback as a frequent guest. We look forward to seeing you for anther comfortable stay and delicious cocktails in the bar next time you travel to our "city different". Alder Seaman
istanbul
Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

Elegantly simple rooms in the Franciscan style. Comfy bed!
Within easy walking distance of the square. Gracious helpful staff will assist in making day trip plans.
Overall this is a quiet location.

Nice bar on site. In summer it is apparently open to the sidewalk.

• Stayed September 2012
7 Thank cote_style
Hello cote_style and thank you for taking the time to give us a review. We're happy to hear you enjoyed our lush yet simple accomodations. Our beds and linens are of the highest quality and we are so happy you slept well here in our historic hotel. Our staff would love to welcome you back for another comfortable quiet stay just off the plaza when you visit the area next. Alder Seaman
New Jersey
Reviewed July 18, 2013

I got this hotel at $95 a night through Priceline. I think that helped with my review. I also stayed in a corner room - room 316, so my room was much larger than the cubby holes I viewed being cleaned on my way downstairs. Plus I had carpet on the floor; which I prefer.

Since I was a guest for 3 nights who was also on business, here are my thoughts:

The bad:
1) No coffee maker in the rooms was a real inconvenience at 6AM in the morning each day. Nor was there complimentary coffee in the lobby for guests. A big no-no for hotels catering to business travelers.
2) No bottled water anywhere.
3) No iron or ironing board in the rooms. Turns out I had to make a special request to get one delivered to my room. Unfortunately I did not know this until day 2.
4) My work desk as very small and uncomfortable. Plus the chair I had in my room did not have a cushion, which made sitting for long periods of time not so great.
5) $11 a night for parking? Give me a break!

The good:
1) Wifi is free and worked well.
2) The best bar in Santa Fe is right in the lobby!!!!
3) Breakfast at the hotel restaurant was amazing.
4) Location, location, location.

As a business traveler who wants to be downtown I would pass on this hotel and stay next door at the Inn of the Governors or down the street at the Hilton. This is not to say that the hotel isn't nice or charming... I just wanted to offer a different perspective using a different eye than if I was on vacation.

3) No coff

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room or a room with carpet.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank jrman66
AlderKaitlin, Front Office Manager at Hotel St. Francis, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Hello jrman66 and thank you for taking a moment to review your stay at the historic Hotel St Francis. It is nice to hear you liked Secreto Bar (recently voted #1 in Santa Fe!) and excellent restaurant, not to mention the great downtown location. We offer complimentary amenities upon request, ranging from water bottles to coffeepots to extra chairs and tables. Our guest rooms are supposed to be simply appointed as part of the design scheme, so we do not place many amenities in the rooms. We appreciate your very valuable feedback and we will use your review as an opportunity to train our staff. We would love the chance to welcome you back for drinks or dinner the next time you visit Santa Fe. Alder Seaman