“Great location!”
Review of Hotel St. Francis

Hotel St. Francis
Ranked #28 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Literally one block from the plaza! The staff was helpful and quick. The room was nice..nothing fancy but quiet and comfortable. The hotel lobby is wonderful. They have two huge couches pulled up by their wood burning fireplace. I've never really wanted to spend time in a lobby before, but this was warm, comfy, pretty and very spacious. If the fire was dwindling, staff were quick to throw on another log!

We also ate at the restaurant in the hotel. The wait staff were on the ball. There was a bit of confusion about our dinner order, but the staff comped my entree, made a new dish and gave me a 20% off coupon for breakfast. Breakfast was so divine the first morning, we ate breakfast there the second morning, too. The Atolle is a corn based hot cereal that was serious comfort food. I loved it. My kids had French toast and pancakes, which received high reviews. My husband had chorizo and eggs and was in heaven!

Would I stay there again? Sure would!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Shawna G
HHandR, Manager at Hotel St. Francis, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

Thank you for choosing Hotel St.Francis whiling visiting Santa Fe. We are glad to know the room and all the staff exceeded your family's needs. We are happy to welcome your family back for an evening in front of the fireplace and fresh Swedish Pancakes.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

If you are one person, the small room will be fine. For two, it was an evening of cramped quarters. They had not switched over to air conditioning, so it was a warm evening. Yes, the windows open (but they are little tricky), so it was not a great night's sleep. I would have felt more comfortable about sleeping with windows open if there had been a screen on the window.
We also had street noise. =(

The towels truly need an upgrade. There is now a fee for parking. It was great being close to the Plaza. I am not sure that upgrading to a bigger room would have helped. We got a NM resident rate which was great, but I am not sold.

The check-in staff was not friendly. Check out took too long--again, snotty attitude.

However, I LOVE their restaurant, and will return there in a heartbeat. The hotel, eh...maybe.

Room Tip: Be sure heating and cooling are working to your satisfaction. Rooms on top floor seem warmer (altho...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
AlderKaitlin, Front Office Manager at Hotel St. Francis, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Hello KCinABQ, thank you for taking the time to post a review of our hotel and restaurant. We are all happy to hear the food and the service in Tabla de los Santos was to your satisfaction, as well as our excellent location near the plaza. I’m truly sorry that you had anything less than a relaxing and enjoyable experience in our hotel; we are taking time to thoroughly train our staff so as to avoid inconveniencing any of our guests. We pride ourselves on quality customer service and I do sincerely apologize for any trouble you may have had in dealing with any member of our staff. Your feedback is valuable and we take it seriously. We hope we get another chance to prove ourselves to you in the near future! Alder Seaman

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Neat old hotel with a fire place in the lobby and two good restaurants. The room was small but, clean. It has a European feel. Walking distance to square. The staff was friendly and service was good. Would stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank mikology

Thanks for your review! Our historic hotel, bar and restaurant are well set up for guests like yourself looking for a quality stay in a good location. We're very glad to hear you enjoyed the experience and we hope you come back and cozy up in front of the fireplace again sometime. Alder Seaman

Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

This is a beautiful hotel in a fabulous location. Santa Fe mission decor is clean and minimalist. Lobby and restaurant great. Cozy bar. Nice wood burning fireplace and outdoor sitting areas. The only downside was a worn out mattress and box spring such that my wife and I rolled together at middle and it felt like water bed. New beds and this is 5 star.

• Stayed: March 2013
4  Thank Dufus1212
HHandR, Front Office Manager at Hotel St. Francis, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2013

Hello Dufus1212 and thank you for taking a moment to give us a review. We're so pleased that you enjoyed the look, feel and location of our lovely historic hotel. We have spoken to the appropriate departments and are making sure all of our guest rooms are in perfect condition. We very much appreciate your feedback and we're hoping you come stay with us again soon! Alder Seaman

Reviewed March 11, 2013

I was very pleased with my stay, the location of Hotel St. Francis is centrally located, it gave me easy access to find my way in downtown Santa Fe, I enjoyed all the boutique shops around the hotel, the room itself was a bit small and I asked to see a larger room for my next stay, the front staff Gerik showed me a Deluxe King room before my departure, they accommodated all of my requests in a professional manner. I LOVE the ambience of this hotel, it is spacious in the lobby area with old-time Santa Fe charm, there are historical photographs being displayed on the 3rd floor on the way to my room, I don't get tired looking at them every time I walk by them, they make up the flavor of Hotel St. Francis. I am not much of a "take the stairs" person, but I would rather take the stairs down in the morning at this hotel and feel the details of the architecture in every corner, it is definitely pleasing to my aesthetic sense. Will Be Back!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Patricia L
HHandR, Front Office Manager at Hotel St. Francis, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

Thank you for choosing Hotel St. Francis during your visit to Santa Fe, and also for writing a review. We are very happy to know that you love our historic ambiance and central location. Our staff welcomes you back to enjoy more of our Santa Fe Charm. Jarenda Ortiz

Reviewed March 11, 2013

A friend and I were able to stay at this little gem in February thanks to a great Priceline deal. Upon arriving, we discovered it's an old hotel that has been remodeled to retain the charm of its heritage and history, but with modern conveniences. For a little extra per night, we were able to change our reservation to a 2-bed room.

I am giving it five stars because, frankly, it was a great deal and a beautiful hotel. For the price, there were a few little inconveniences that I will mention here, but they don’t change my opinion that it should receive a five star review on Trip Advisor.

The elevator is quite slow, and they must have had some kind of ventilation problem during my stay because it was not pleasant smelling inside the elevator for the duration of our stay - which was several days. Even though we were on the upper level (3 floors I think?) the stairs were not bad, and it was just easier to take the stairs.

They do have their own parking lot next door, and overflow parking is available across the street. There was a standard fee for parking.

The workout room was incredibly small: One treadmill, a bike, and some weights. The treadmill was broken. Who works out on vacation? Well, I would have at least liked the option.

This is a pet friendly hotel! Makes sense, considering this hotel's namesake.
I’m pretty sure there was free wifi – we didn’t pay for it, and we had no problem accessing it in our room.

The beds were amazingly comfortable and the rooms were charming. Smaller than typical modern hotel rooms, but the furniture and accents make up for size. They have mixed modern fixtures with hand-crafted furniture and what looked to be original or reclaimed flooring. It was a little odd to see the sink and faucet in the bedroom, but we got used to it. (Ladies, there is no decent light above the mirror, and the room is very dim unless you open the drapes – which, in the mornings meant blinding sunlight.)

The temps were very cold while we were there in February, but the thermostat was not working right in our room and we were roasting. So we had to sleep with the windows open. It was 19 degrees. This regulated the temperature in our room pretty well, but the garbage trucks and street sweepers at 5am put a stop to the windows being opened during our slumber.

It is very close to Starbucks – just about a block down the street. Which is good, since we were up at 5am thanks to the street sweeper trucks.

There is a bar attached to the hotel. Very nice, great ambiance, but the waitress was horrible. Good ‘Happy Hour’ specials, though!

Despite my honest opinions of some of the minor inconveniences, this is a beautiful hotel, in the heart of Old Santa Fe, and was an excellent place to stay. I would certainly stay here again, and that is a true testament to the quality and value of this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank Newslady77

Hello Newslady77 and thank you for taking the time to review our "little gem" of a hotel! We are very glad to hear you had an excellent stay and appreciated the convenience and the ambiance despite any small inconveniences. Our staff wishes to welcome you back for happy hour on the patio now that the weather is warming up. Alder Seaman

Reviewed March 7, 2013

We wanted to try the St Francis because of its location and it looked authentic southwest to us. We have been to Santa Fe many times in the past twelve years. We loved the St Francis. First of all, the staff is efficient, they are friendly, and they are helpful. Yes, the rooms are small but this is an older hotel, so you have an armoire instead of a closet like many of the older hotels that have been updated. We upgraded to a larger room because of the need for a desk in the room and the staff could not have been more helpful. We love the bar and bartender, Greg, is is an expert at bartending, loves to ski, and knows the city and area well. The restaurant La Tabla was outstanding - the tomatillas to die for (made with beer, bacon grease and masa.... yum). Ben and staff are so nice there. Alandro was also excellent. We will be back - loved the ambience.

Room Tip: I'd suggest booking a deluxe room if you want more room and a desk. We were in 215 and liked it...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank lizardMarquette_MI

Hello and thank you for your review of our hotel, bar and restaurant! We're very pleased to hear you enjoyed the experience, from the rooms to the ambiance and decor to the tomatillas. We are always happy to give room upgrades based on availability; it's our goal and our pleasure to match guests with appropriate guest accomodations! We look forward to seeing you again during your next stay. Alder Seaman