“Pet friendly Hotel St. Francis”
Review of Hotel St. Francis

Hotel St. Francis
Ranked #28 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Reviewed December 12, 2012

A charming, minimalist (slightly monastic) ambience-very cool. Zen vibe in the room. My pug got a very warm welcome from staff-unfortunately there was no eating area that is pet friendly inside-so we had room service. Free parking adjacent and free WIFI plus 20% discount on restaurant. Great location-across from shops and plenty of grassy areas for pet potty.

Complimentary pet gift bag was a nice touch. We were on the first floor and the bar can get a little noisy on weekends.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank Sheila W

Reviewed December 9, 2012

This is a charming hotel - very much in sync with the character of Santa Fe. The rooms were very comfortable and clean. I booked four classic queens for about a week. All my guests enjoyed the hotel very,very much. They loved walking out the door and being in the center of Santa Fe. I believe they will come back to the St. Francis when they return to Santa Fe. The hotel staff went above and beyond normal duties when they helped locate a left passport for one of my family members. We would like to also commend "Eric", our server at breakfast, for each of our mornings there. He was very attentive and had wonderful recommendations.

Room Tip: If you don't mind a smaller room, the classic queens are perfectly adequate and provide good val...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Little S
Reviewed December 6, 2012

The Hotel St. Francis provides a unique experience given its prime location in the heart of Santa Fe and a rustic yet cozy ambience. The tiled and candlelit lobby with a fireplace was beautiful at night, but the fireplace was only lit in the evening so it was a little drab during the day. The room had hardwood floors, an uber-comfy bed with loads of pillows, and half-length closet. My (queen) room was on the second floor on side of the hotel overlooking the parking lot, so the view was not exciting average, but there were several windows and they swing open so the breeze is fabulous and you get a bit of sunset too. Traveling solo, it was not an issue to me, but the sink and mirror were in the room, not the bathroom. My room had a rustic wooden bench which added function and decor. The elevator is so slow it is hard to believe it the wait to go one floor, but the is a wide stairwell that arrives at the open space where dozens of black and white photos are on display. As for downstairs, the hotel lounge had a lovely ambience though I just passed through as it was so lovely, all the patrons were couples and I felt a bit awkward for a solo traveler. The parking lot beside and belonging to the hotel is free but first-come, first-serve and always filled up fast. To get a spot, you have to jump on a spot while others are out and about, then stay there. The back-up/overflow parking is the public lot directly across the street, which is easy to access, yet has a quirky procedure--at least until you know the drill and adjust. It states no overnight parking, but you do so anyway, then get ticketed, and turn that ticket in to the hotel front desk which takes care of it. If the front desk explained the process in advance it would have been less awkward. Overall, the property is interesting and convenient to all the shops and restaurants, and the staff is friendly, but it was more of a great place to try once for me...enjoyable, but at their prices, I don't know that I would return. It is definitely a good place to try once, though.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front of the hotel have a better view than those on the side. The area by the elevator...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank ViewsAndReviews
Reviewed December 5, 2012

I was satisfied with this hotel. The room was albeit small. I stayed in a classic queen room. There was not enough counter space around the sink area which was outside of the bathroom. However I mad it work for me. Low lighting in the Bathroom. However, it was ok. There was a shower and not a bathtub which was ok. Room had a flat screen TV. The bed was very nice and comfortable. The maid service was excellent. They were very friendly and prompt in cleaning the room. Excellent customer service on the front desk and in the restaurant. The food in the restaurant was good. Excellent location and was in walking distance of the historic plaza and other points of interest.
This is a historic hotel which I thought I would not originally like. However, I ended up liking it very much. Would definitely stay in this hotel again. Their Customer Service should be a role model
for other hotels and business. They appear to put the customer first.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank Dorothy W
Reviewed December 5, 2012

This hotel located right in the heart of Santa Fe is quiet charming. The lobby is relaxing in the evening with the fireplace and candlelights creating an old world feel. The rooms themselves are small but to be expected with an historic hotel. The front desk clerk did explain that the room was small and offered an upgrade but for our 1 night we decided on the less expensive but small room. As a New Mexico resident, we got a rate under $100 in this fine hotel. We will plan on staying here again soon as we live nearby.

Room Tip: If staying more than 1 night, pay the extra for a larger room.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sheryl D
Reviewed December 2, 2012

This hotel has changed dramatically since my last stay there about 5 years ago. Then it had a doorman, a lively lobby, charming if dated rooms, and seemed well-loved and cared for by the staff. The hotel had been renovated since then, so we were expecting an even better stay. However, it was not to be. The phone in our room was so dirty I had to clean it with alcohol and a cotton swab just to stand to look at it. The towels and sheets should have been retired long ago. The mattress was so soft that I was able to feel my spouse's every toss and turn.There was a strange smell in the elevator. While the location is still terrific and the food in the restaurant is very good, the place has lost its charm and just seemed like a place to sleep - nothing more. We were very disappointed.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank WanderingP
Reviewed December 2, 2012

I was recently part of a wedding party staying at the St Francis. The staff were very courteous and helpful but the quality of the hotel itself was very disappointing. My room was very small, worn and tired. The hotel does use Frette linens but the sheets and towels in my room were very old, frayed and very dingy. My room was hot and uncomfortable. Opening the window helped with the temperature but significantly increased the noise level from the street traffic and trash trucks. The lighting in my room was very poor. Closet space was very limited and would not accommodate long coats or dresses. I had to hang the long items on the back of the closet door. The toilet /shower room was small with a heavily stained tile floor....Rust maybe .??? The shower curtain liner was too short and would not stay in the tub while showering which allowed water to get all over the floor. There was also a large window above the tub that was covered with a piece of shower curtain that would fly up and interfere with showering. There was no coffee pot in the room. A coffee pot was available upon request but housekeeping did not provide fresh coffee pods each day of my stay. The room did have a safe which was very nice. The food at the restaurant was very good but the service was poor at best. The wait staff constantly had to be reminded to bring all items ordered. Other members of the wedding party staying at this hotel had similar experiences and observations. I would not recommend staying here until significant improvements are made in the hotel.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel!!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Lu S
Charmaine A, Revenue Coordinator at Hotel St. Francis, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for staying at Hotel St. Francis. We appreciate your feedback and I can assure you we are looking into all matters you spoke of. We pride ourselves on giving all of our guest one hundred percent guest satisfaction and when these kinds of issues happen, we take them very seriously. We hope in the future this never detours you from visiting our amazing historic property. Once again thank you for your review and we look forward to the chance to show you what we are truly all about.