“Beautiful hotel and location, but takes stark to an uncomfortable level”
Review of Hotel St. Francis

Hotel St. Francis
Ranked #28 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Dallas, Texas
“Beautiful hotel and location, but takes stark to an uncomfortable level”
Reviewed May 7, 2011

I stayed in this gorgeous hotel for one night for business. I cannot say enough nice things about the people who work here because they were very friendly and willing to help, which was needed because I could not figure out parking at the very beginning of my stay and the attendant actually met me in front of the hotel to help me. The patio, bar and downstairs of the hotel is really nice and just like the photos on the website. My room was very clean and the bed was one of the most comfortable I have ever stayed in. The towels were so luxurious, I would have strongly considered buying them had they been for sale. Unfortunately, these two great details could not make up for the fact that there were some challenges with the room. For a man, these may not be as big of a deal, but after discussing the complaints with another woman who had stayed here in the past, I decided to write this review. First off, let me say that the hotel does pitch itself as minimalistic so that is the goal. It is very pretty. However, the only sink in the room was actually in the bedroom, rather than in the bathroom. The bathroom itself was immaculate, but the sink did not have hardly any counter space whatsoever. If you use a curling iron or like to spread out your toiletries, good luck. I can only imagine how this would be if you were travelling as a couple and someone needed to use the sink earlier in the day than your companion. The shower was nice but the toilet area was also tiny. Additionally, traveling for one night and wanting to hang up my clothes for the next day, I discovered that the "closet" was so narrow (and contained a safe on one side) that my one outfit for the next day would barely fit on the hangers next to the two robes provided. When getting dressed the next morning, I found there is not a floor length mirror anywhere...not even in the hallways. Truly, the first time I saw myself was when I arrived at the destination for my business meeting. The lighting over the sink is very poor as well. There is also no table usable for working from in the room so if you want to use a computer, you either have to use a little side table or you are out of luck. All in all, this is a really cool place and the people terrific, but I would come by to the restaurant or the bar, but stay somewhere else, particularly if you need a little counter space or if you are travelling with a companion. If the things above do not matter to you, it is a beautiful and very clean and cozy option.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
7 Thank Frogtraveler23

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
Chicago
Reviewed May 4, 2011

The bed was comfortable, but a bit short for me (I'm 6'3"), and the towels have seen better days, but the room was quiet, the location is as good as it gets, the rate was reasonable, and staffers were all courteous and helpful. I appreciated the coffee maker with Starbucks regular and decaf ready to brew.
The lobby is large, with plenty of comfortable seating, a good place to relax, with Internet available. I enjoyed staying at the St. Francis.

Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank Gregory G
Chinle, Arizona
Reviewed May 3, 2011

Quiet, lovely, serene and well-done. Staff friendly. rooms. Evening surprise was to return after dinner to a candle lit lobby.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank wildli
New York
Reviewed May 2, 2011

This gorgeous hotel is wonderfully located. It is blocks from the main square. It's also walking distance from Canyon Road for those of you looking for art. Although breakfast is not part of the stay, there are many places to get some food. As a matter of fact, there is a Whole Foods Market about 5 minutes by car. As for the bar and restaurant in the hotel, GO! They make some great drinks and the food is also delicious.

The decor of the place is beautiful. It's especially stunning at night when all the candles are lit. The rooms are very comfortable with various amenities: fridge, coffee maker, television with millions of channels.

I am not a fan of hotels in general and tend to stay in B&B's but if I can find hotels like this, I may just have to stay a few more times.

Room Tip: Ask for quiet room not facing the street.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Tim M
Chevy Chase, Maryland
Reviewed April 30, 2011

I stayed at the Hotel St. Francis for one night in late April while on business in this part of the state. It's a beautiful, charming hotel located just one block south of the square where the Palace of the Governors is located. It's a splendid location.

First, this is by no means a business-friendly hotel. The room I got (on the third floor; choose the second if you can as the rooms look like they might be bigger there) had no desk or table and had the sink located in the bedroom area. I could live with that for one evening but it would have been nice to have a bit more space.

In addition, the fitness center is tiny with three machines crammed together in a room the size of a large walk-in closet. That was OK with me as I went for a light run around the center of the town (at 7,200 feet the air was pretty thin for my east-coast lungs.)

This was the end of the off-season and so it was pretty quiet. I stayed on a Monday and the restaurant, which is apparently excellent, was closed. The bar was enticing. Instead, I ambled around town trying to find a decent restaurant open on a Monday night. I ended up less than 100 yards from the front door of the hotel at the Del Charro, which is attached to the Inn of the Governors (see my review for that elsewhere on TripAdvisor.)

The bed was too soft for my taste and that, combined with my first night at elevation, made for a restless night of sleep. Overall, though, I'm glad I stayed here despite the small annoyances. The hotel building is beautiful and the photos of old Santa Fe on the walls in the stairways and lobby were fascinating to examine. The staff was fine and helpful. I was up and on the way out the door at 6 a.m. for a meeting three hours away.

I payed a very low rate ($105 including tax); I consider this decent value for this time of year compared with the other options at the center of town. And it was nice to wander around the Old Town during the evening and then not have to get in a car to drive to a hotel out by the interstate highway. Parking is $9 per night in the adjacent lot.

If I returned to Santa Fe I would stay here again, though I would spring for a bigger room. A young colleague who was traveling separately to the same meeting I attended stayed at the St Francis on my recommendation the same night; she told me she was very happy that I recommended it to her based on my research.

It's fairly simple... you're getting less space in your room and paying more to be at the center of Old Santa Fe. If that's an acceptable trade-off for you then this is the right hotel.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
6 Thank Abbotsbury92
Winchester
Reviewed April 28, 2011

We really loved this hotel. I had visited a friend who was staying here several years ago, so I knew that it was a fantastic location just off the main plaza, an easy walk to restaurants, shops, churches etc. It is a beautiful old building, and the recent remodeling has made it even more wonderful than I remembered it. The elegant simplicity and natural furnishings reflect the history as well as the beautiful New Mexico environment. We were celebrating our anniversary and were so pleased with our deluxe king room with a view of the mountains. There were so many thoughtful touches in the design of the room that made it so comfortable and like a home away from home. We also enjoyed the large lobby and outdoor seating areas. The restaurant was also very good and a relaxing and comfortable place to enjoy fresh, delicious food. The hotel staff also made us feel at home. They were both friendly and helpful and went beyond what would be expected. We enjoyed the simple touches such as the fresh water provided in the lobby flavored with slices of fresh citrus fruits. This is one of our very favorite hotels that we have every stayed in over our 42 years of marriage. This will definitely be our choice when we return to Santa Fe.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
7 Thank RWS043
Richmond, California
Reviewed April 26, 2011

Location and friendly staff is what this place offers...and that's just for starters. We love this place...highly recommend. Hotel restaurant is very good as well. Our room was very nicely furnished...great bed...all well done. And, great value for what this place offers!

Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple