“Wonderful hotel with great service”
Review of Hotel St. Francis

Hotel St. Francis
Ranked #27 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Reviewed April 21, 2011

While driving from Amarillo, Texas with our dog, we called ahead to see if we could stay with our pet at the St. Francis. Yes, they said. When we arrived the staff at the front desk were very helpful and accommodating (Thank you - January and Jesse). We were shown two of the "pet friendly" rooms which very, very nice. The room had access to a side door which led to a side garden area near the parking lot, so we could walk our dog in his "times of need".

The hotel is lovely, just like the photos show. The room was beautiful, very clean and average in size, but as other have said the bathroom area is small and the sink is in the bedroom area. For two people this was not a problem.

The hotel has a great location and you can easily walk to everything of the downtown area. Parking was easy in the hotel parking lot next to the hotel. The front desk staff were always helpful and friendly.

We had such a wonderful experience while staying at the St. Francis, that we just booked three rooms and are returning in June for three nights with some of our friends from Denver.

Room Tip: Pet Friendly
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank DenverDenny

Reviewed April 21, 2011

We have been staying at this hotel at least once a year for the past four years. Every time I have overlooked its deficiencies for one reason or another. For the first 2 years, they were renovating, the last year they were ironing out the remaining issues. However, now they are billed as a top line hotel and there are things they still can't get right. The TV sgets real bad reception, some rooms have the sink in the bedroom for lack of bathroom space. The keys are such an unusual shape, they are hard to keep track off. They don't have any outlets that are easily accessible. They say all of these things are due to the hotel's age and the fact that they want to keep it close to the original hotel. However, since they just had a major renovation, all of these things could have been upgraded.

They have always been able to find us another more acceptable room than first offered but the new room is still not up to standard to what they charge per night (with tax over $225 for a standard room).

This year we wanted to watch the NBA playoffs and our TV was so snowy that it was almost impossible to watch. Next year we will try one of the $100 motels along the main drag.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Echopark52
Reviewed April 18, 2011

I was possessed to take a crazy road trip to Santa Fe before attending a friend's wedding in Tucson. I did a lot of research on Trip Advisor and decided to give the Hotel St. Francis a try. I was not disappointed. This place was very cool. It was decorated with Monestary theme without being over the top and hokey. The location was excellent. It was central and walking distance to many of the attractions.
The front desk staff was superb. January helped me to locate some random local incense (pinon) that a friend of mine insisted I bring home. Jessie and Victoria were also very friendly and helpful as well.
Only a couple of minor negatives: The shower was a bit narrow and the curtain kept sticking to me. This is a pet peeve of mine. I think a rod that arcs outward would make a huge difference. Also, I wasn't a fan of the tiny room keys that don't even have a way to hook them to a keychain. I was constantly worried that I would lose it. I also wished the room safe was electronic, but it also had a key which you had to carry with you. Forgetful people like me don't do well with keys in general.
Overall, it was a great experience and I would stay there again in a heartbeat!

5  Thank JayT1021
Reviewed April 17, 2011

Stayed 4 nights and thoroughly enjoyed the beautiful design and amenities of the hotel. Parking was easy during my mid-week stay, I came and went at will without having to deal with valet etc and location is a great base to explore both Santa Fe and outlying areas.

However, although I'd happily return, I'd think twice if bringing my significant other just due to space considerations. There's no way around it -- although sparkling clean with new tile, fixtures, etc the bathrooms are teensy with virtually nowhere to lay out personal toiletries. And while I was perfectly content to work out a system by myself, you'd have to really travel well with someone to avoid the frustration of navigating around each, having enough space for belongings etc, when travelling as a two. (Note I did look at other differently laid out rooms --not suites--the bedrooms of which were more open than my corner room, but bathrooms just as teensy and those had no windows as mine did.)

That said, I've worked in the hotel industry and travelled a fair bit, and found this property to be one of the most interesting and unique I've stayed at, especially for the price level. I thought the monastic design might be a bit austere/oppressive (and I would have to say the room corridors are a little dark) but on the whole all other common areas were so bright and airy in the NM sun, and the lobby so beautiful by candlelight in the evenings, that I felt I'd stumbled onto a real find. Great combination of the modern/historic.

If you don't spend a lot of time in your room, and/or can manage amicably with an easygoing travel partner, this is the spot.

Oh -- and try Pascale's across the street. I wandered in unaware of their great reputation, and the food (lamb tacos), atmostphere and service were great.

4  Thank seattlesunseeker37
Reviewed April 12, 2011

We stayed at the Hotel St. Francis for one night during a trip to Santa Fe. I wish we had made plans to stay there for longer! The rooms were beautiful, clean and comfortable and the staff was exceptionally attentive. We will definitely be staying here again!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank nvp327
Reviewed April 12, 2011

The Hotel St. Francis is the place I go to in Santa Fe if I want to relax and replenish the salts of the human spirit. The staff, the food and overall ambience of the hotel work together to make one's stay a very enjoyable experience. Thanks to all at the St. Francis that made my vacation stay a success of relaxation and replenishment, especially kudos to Steve C, Steve H, Inger, Satori, Patricia, Greg, Jessie, Cerrie, January and everyone else who shared a smile! It was much appreciated.

Enjoy the day,
Augie

6  Thank 20Aug11
Reviewed March 29, 2011

We were very pleased with our stay at Hotel St Francis. The staff were very helpful with recommending restaurants and providing directions. The hotels location couldnt be better - you are within walking distance to almost everything - with the central plaza only 3 minutes by foot. My only negative comment is that the bathroom was very small with no window, however still very clean and pleasant.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple