“Great Stay. Really enjoyed this Inn.”

Pueblo Bonito Bed and Breakfast Inn
Ranked #8 of 37 Santa Fe B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 21, 2007

Great Stay at the Pueblo Bonito. Loved our room. Enjoyed the courtyard and sundeck and grounds. The atmosphere inside and out was charming "Old Southwest/Cowboy/Indian era". Property was well preserved -is over 150 years old. Main building had massive foot thick adobe walls- made it very quiet and cool - was lots of fun to stay in. Our room was colorful, comfortable, clean and had lots of interesting knick/knacks - well placed around the room. Not gaudy or "foo-fooy". Lots of elbow space in room as well - not cramped like many are. Loved the leather reading chair and lamp in my room. We also had a firm queen bed, small seperate area stocked with coffee maker, coffee, and fridge; a kiva fireplace (not needed but added charm), a full bath (small but adequate) and a huge closet. Excellent value- room charges include every thing except tax (i.e. downtown location, parking inside grounds, internet access, local phone calls, afternoon margaritas and wine, and of course breakfast). Breakfast was great. Huge spread of food(s)- the honeydew melon was amaziingly sweet and juicy- best I have every had. Coffee was strong and hot- very smooth. This was a great place to stay and we will be excited to return.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank Tucsonkid

Reviewed January 10, 2007

We pulled into Santa Fe on December 30th as the snow came down in buckets - one of the biggest snow storms since the 1970's we are told! We found Pueblo Bonito under a BIG blanket of snow and checked into our room "Tesque." Authentically Santa Fe - this is an old hacienda which has been converted into rooms. Rustic, charming, inviting, and a fabulous location to walk into town and take in the action on the square.
The room had its original floors, a kiva fireplace, and while a bit small - its southwestern charm made it a place to remember. The breakfast at the hotel was plentiful and we ate by the fire which warmed us in the common area. The setting, the structure itself, and its proximity to the historic district make this an A+ place for your stay in Santa Fe. We want to go back in the summer and we will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
22  Thank csgoodman
Reviewed January 8, 2007

We spent three nights in a deluxe room at the Pueblo Bonito in January 2007. I would not call it a B&B, which to me implies a intimate facility and a fancy, cooked breakfast; rather, it is a small inn with 18 rooms and a buffet breakfast consisting of low quality, premade, supermarket muffins and waffles, bread, and boxed cereal. I was glad to see the fresh fruit selection and a nice assortment of tea.

The accomodations were adequate, but nothing more. The furniture was plain; the futon cover was soiled; the only upholstered chair was worn out. The bed was reasonably comfortable, but the pillows were hard. The kitchen included a few dishes but nothing to cook with and no flatware. The bathroom was tiny, as was the tv (19"). Several rooms, including ours, back onto the Paseo, so traffic noise was an issue early in the morning. The windows fit poorly and leaked cold air; the windows were covered only by inexpensive plastic mini blinds which blocked no light; and the air conditioner was a window unit in a corner of the bedroom (I would hate to be there during a hot streak).

On the positive side, the room was private, free from neighbor noise. The pace was relaxed, and the staff was helpful, though not particularly friendly. The neighborhood felt safe, and we walked all over, though be aware that it's probably 3/4 mile to the Plaza.

The Pueblo Bonito was adequate, but for the price, I would guess that better options are available.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Twoprofs
Reviewed October 24, 2006

Booking a suite here by internet was very easy and pleasant. Our suite was disappointing however. It was dark and gloomy, the furnishings were old and shabby, housekeeping was of a very low standard, the cutlery was a mish-mash of battered, dirty knives and forks, the wire screen on the bathroom window was torn, and the bathroom sink blocked every morning. We had to ask for glasses and a corkscrew. Prices seemed expensive for what was provided. On a positive note, staff were frioendly, we were able to use the laundry and ample parking is free.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled on business
4  Thank LG23
Reviewed October 17, 2006

I'll start with the positives. First, the Pueblo Bonito's location is convenient to the restaurants, shops, and tourist sites of the historic district. You can park your car in the enclosed lot and forget about it -- a real boon, since parking can be a pain otherwise. From the outside, the hotel is very well kept and charming. The owners are friendly and helpful, and they genuinely seem to want to please. The place is well run. Breakfast was fine -- a continental spread of cereals, toast, bagels, fresh fruit, pastries, and your own pot of coffee.

I didn't give the hotel a higher mark because I was not that impressed with my room. (I stayed in the San Juan, no. 4.) Others have described the rooms as charming; maybe they stayed in a better one, I don't know. Personally, I found my room dark and shabby rather than charming. The bathroom was cramped and was in need of an update. It had a patched-up feel about it. I know you don't go to Santa Fe to stay in your room. But I would have liked more incentive to spend time in mine, rather than feeling relief at leaving it.

One reviewer said that he/she didn't feel safe walking back to the hotel at night. I was there by myself, and I can certainly sympathize about the route being a bit dark and deserted. But I don't think it's dangerous.

The Pueblo Bonito is convenient ly located and reasonably priced. But if you're looking for a room where you can kick back and spend a pleasant hour or two every day just hanging out -- and if you're particular about your bathrooms -- you may want to keep looking.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled solo
7  Thank SkyeTraveler
Reviewed October 5, 2006

We enjoyed three evenings at this property recently.

It's located in a mostly residential area behind the capitol and not far from the plaza. An easy walk to the plaza, to Canyon Road, and conveniently located near the Guadalupe area. Easy to get in and out of.

The room was very nice. Lots of Santa Fe charm, Large, comfy. The iron and hair dryer were appreciated amenities we weren't expecting to find.

Towels seemed to be changed everyday which surprised us...we didn't find it necessary...we're happy to re-use towels...living in the desert ourselves maybe this struck us more than most customers.

We enjoyed the afternoon beverages and snacks a couple days. A nice touch. Honestly we didn't find breakfast to be anything special but were OK with this....so much good food in town we didn't need a large typically heavy B&B breakfast as well. Nice to be able to just have a piece of fruit, some yogurt, etc. The coffee was strong and hot.

We'd definitely stay here again. Not only a lovely property...but great location and fair price.

• Stayed: September 2006
18  Thank ziggylu
Reviewed September 12, 2006

I called the B & B directly to inquire about a reservation. Someone picked up the phone, but then the call was disconnected. Thinking it was an accident, I called again and a man simply said Hello. After asking about availability I was given rates. I then began asking another question and he hung up on me! I'm moving on....

• Stayed: August 2006
4  Thank Globeflyer
SFinnkeeper, Innkeeper at Pueblo Bonito Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2006

It is very, very common for cell phone useage in and around Santa Fe to be dropped- which is what happened with reviewer. We are at 7000 ft elevation and the mountain ranges while traveling cause this to happen. We frequently (daily) get calls from potential guests traveling from Albuquerque or Taos and thier cell calls get dropped.....or we are unable to hear them. We have no option but to hang up the phone and wait for them to try again. There is absolutely nothing we can do to improve on cell phone service- it is beyond our scope! For that we appologize. We also appologize that you were unable to have a great experience at our inn and would invite you to try us again (try a land line this time!). We don't think you'll be disappointed.