“Stayed for a week and had a great time!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Santa Fe International Hostel
Reviewed October 27, 2010

I stayed here for about a week in late May 2010. I stayed in two different private rooms, both were clean and simple. The employees were friendly and polite, very understanding when I checked out and then had to come back due to my travel plans getting screwed up. Lots of free food in the kitchen. Plenty of other hostlers to talk to when I wanted or I could hang out in my room for privacy. When I left, they gave me recommendations/addresses/phone numbers for other hostels along the route I would be travelling. A Santa Fe bus stop is located right outside and makes getting around the city very simple.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo

Reviewed October 21, 2010

My first overnight at the hostel was great; second time around the staffperson was rude and radiating passive aggressive vibes. The good news is that the kitchen is huge and the fridges stuffed with dumpstered delicacies (goat cheese quesadilla with coconut water for breakfast- thanks to freeganisn). The chore system and crypto-communal atmosphere were pleasant in a dysfunctional family kind of way. Some nice guests and i got a good nights sleep. Overall if you are used to budget travel and saving $20 is worth crashing in the display room of the Goodwill Store, recommended. Just cross your fingers and hope the person behind the desk doesn't handle you like expired food.

• Stayed: October 2010
1  Thank wiltonhall66
Reviewed August 14, 2010

First of all the Pros: Check-in lady was very friendly and professional. The kitchen is big and if you like to cook this is a plus.
The cons:
You have to clean up your room and clean up one of the public areas (bathroom, shower etc). The idea of having people clean up their room is good but it should be reflected in the price.
The beds and rooms are very minimalistic with very hard beds (basically you sleep on wood).We sorted this out by getting the upper beds and added them on ours.
There is a 20$ Key Deposit for the Double Rooms and if you need to check out at early hours the only way to get it back is wait until staff is there. (since this place is run cash-only)
The rooms need to be renovated and I would suggest professional cleaning should be a standard as well.
I don't know if the place ever gets properly cleaned or not.

Value for money is very low so I would suggest not to stay here.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 14, 2010

I was traveling around for a month. I had been to a *lot* of hostels and various living arrangements. This was, by far and away, the worst.

I arrived in SF, knowing in advance I would stay there. I drove down a road, and in the middle of a bunch of no-tel motels, sat the dingy hostel with car parts strewn across the parking lot. Okay, I thought, outside's a little bad, the owner likely works on cars as a hobby.

The reception room/living space was decent enough looking. I chose a solo room, since it was $7 more, and didn't really come with "chores," just make sure your room is clean. Weird, but fine. They had a policy of not showing the room prior, which weirded me out. Got to the room, looked bare, four bunk beds, fine enough for the night. I left and went out on the town.

They had a free food policy (discarded remnants from previous tenants), nothing looked like anything I would want to consume or contribute to.

Came back, and unfolded the sheets on my bunk of choice. In faded black letters on a white sheet, "St. Joseph's hospital" (or some hospital..) - yes, they were old hospital sheets!

I decided to sleep in my clothes. This was around 1 a.m.

4:30 a.m., I awoke to find no less than three roaches in bed with me! Another roach was on the floor, dead. I didn't sleep anymore, just sat up on the internet. I went to the bathroom at some point - there were 2 dead roaches in the common sink area, others scattered as I approached.

At 7 a.m., I gathered my things out of the room, and checked out without bothering to clean, particularly the dead roach. The woman went to go "check the room" before giving me my $10 deposit back. I prepared for a fight. None was given, she shamefacedly handed me the $10, and I walked out of that place for good.

I recommend everyone avoid the place like the plague. The place had no good hostel atmosphere, roaches everywhere, weird chores, and was by far and away the worst place I stayed at on my trip - this includes a place that had a mosquito infestation inside, and I wound up with > 10 bites in one night.

Do not go here.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank etothepi
Reviewed November 29, 2009

Loved it. Great way to meet people! Amazingly priced! FREEEEEEE Food! Beautiful experience.

Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 22, 2009

It was $ 35.00 for two of us, and $10.00 each extra for a deposit which we did receive back at check out time after the Manager assessed our room and verified we did our chore for the day. The room was not dirty, but very plain which I expected. We used our own sheets, pillows and towels, but no sleeping bags are allowed. They do give you sheets and towels on the way to your room if you choose to use them. We did have chores to do, but wasn't too bad. You do get a choice of the chore that you do. Wake up early and take a shower, there are only two common showers! The kitchen was nice, and the food is free. Overall, it wasn't too bad, but there were other motels on the same street that were not much more expensive, and if available, I would choose to stay there first. The windows didn't lock, and I didn't totally feel safe here.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 15, 2009

First off, you can stay in a nice hotel on the same street for about $32 a night. Cheap base-rate but charged up the * after for dumb stuff. No receipt given.

NOT a normal hostel. Must clean hostel yourself (mop and sweep your floor of your room plus do one extra "chore," i.e. clean common bathroom). The problem: none of the other residents are reliable cleaning-people, so you are basically cleaning years worth of nastiness. The prices are not cheap enough to compensate for the severe sanitation problems and the hard cleaning labor.

I would not place the woman that runs the place in the "just a rude, nutty, slightly cultish, corrupt, petty (yet ultimately harmless and nevertheless a great character in a travel story) hostel owner/manager" category. I would put her in the "tell your friends to stay away" category. Your typical sketchy and disgusting American hostel but even sketchier and grosser than that.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled solo