“You should stay here.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Santa Fe International Hostel

Santa Fe International Hostel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Santa Fe International Hostel
You added Santa Fe International Hostel to your Saves list
1416 Cerrillos Rd., Santa Fe, NM 87505   |
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“You should stay here.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

I've stayed at a lot of hostels around the world and can say for sure this is a really cool one. The location is convenient and less than two miles from Cowgirl BBQ, a great music venue, and quite close to Counter Culture, a great restaurant and café with amazing breakfast burritos.

The owner is super nice and committed to running a good hostel, and the staff are all very nice and helpful. The rooms and common spaces are very clean. A huge perk I have never experienced at a hostel before is the free food. Sunday is bonus day when that morning, the owner brings in an astounding assortment of donated foods from Whole Foods. It's amazing! I fed myself and took food to go as well for my various road trips to ski and check out the local monuments and public lands. I had delicious healthy food to take with me the whole time.

Don't bring hotel standards because it's a hostel. So the beds aren't plush, the walls aren't crazy thick, and there are shared bathrooms unless you pay for your own. But who cares? It's a clean, safe, friendly location with lots of amenities including free food and nice helpful staff. Two thumbs up!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank John G

Westfield, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

take a trip back into the 70s .it is an xtremly Groovy place to stay. Amazing people from all over the world with travel storys that span the globe.the staff-friendly.very informative,vibrant,erruditive,,caring,funny,mirthful,couthy,hail fellows well met,and even trenchant.The owners,ditto from above.My compliments and thanks to them for their hospitality.The frig!wo!where else can u get free food,and healthy too.Where?nowhere.If u r looking for an ultra clean sparkling sterile room with prefrozen overcooked meals n plastic card keys that don't always work n a staff that doesn't know yor name-don't go come here.This place is cozy n homey.Fair well wherever ye may fair. Hawk*

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank k k
Guthrie, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

I love the fact that you can travel and still cook your own eggs that you bought from the farmers market along with the buckwheat bread! (Dale told us about the farmers market and that in itself was worth the trip to Santa Fe.) You have to wash your own dishes and clean your own room but thats the way it is at my own house! Preston, the owner was a very interesting guy, in it for the life Style as he put it. This place keeps you connected to people.I Loved it and I will return!

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Tallahassee, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

Friendly helpful stuff.... The best coffee waiting for you every morning... Free food from the Whole Foods... Clean linens... Bus station in front of the hostel ($2 day pass)... 30 minutes walking to the center... All of this for $18 !!! .... This place has a lot of character... I WILL BE BACK !!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Jitka L
Santa Fe, New Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

When moving to Santa Fe a couple months back, I booked a private room in this hostel for four nights until I found a place to live. After experiencing one night here, I canceled the rest. You'd be much smarter to get a Super 8 or a Motel 6 for slightly more money.

I spent three months backpacking through Europe solely utilizing hostels. Where ever I travel in the US, if there's a hostel, I enjoy it. The worst hostel I've ever been in is better than Santa Fe International Hostel. Here's why.

1. It's not within walking distance of the Plaza, downtown, art districts or fairs. The main attractions that people come to Santa Fe for are not close. Remember, this is the desert, walking for a long distance in the summer is rarely an option, unless you are of lizard origin.
2. It's on Cerrillos St., the busiest, loudest, most congested street in Santa Fe.
3. The rooms are deplorable. Dirty, old, worn out. (guests have to clean ~ I wonder if they double check to make sure the guest before you cleaned at all?)
4. The kitchen and common areas are no better.
5. Their free breakfast is day old food donated from local bakeries. So is the free food they give out in the kitchen. Look at expiration dates before consuming!
6. Guests staying more than one day are expected to choose a duty. You have to clean something within the hostel. By the looks of it, I suspect this is their only mode of cleanliness. Do they hire someone to clean?
7. They only accept cash and couldn't give me change for my larger bill. If you are a cash only business, Have. Change. (I about blew a gasket at this one upon checking in.)
8. You may not check out the rooms before staying. They won't show you around until after you're a paying customer. (this is even stated on their website.)

Here's the Positive:
1. It's affordable. $25 for private; $18 for dorm.
2. Free Food provided.
3. The outdoor area is lovely (worn out & falling apart furniture, yet lovely.)
4. Free parking.

I understand the owner's philosophy: maintain the integrity of a traditional hostel. How's that working out? From a business sense, it seems "change or die" may be unfolding here. There's no change going on. The building, the contents of the building, even the parking lot appear to be the exact same as when this place first opened. I wonder if the owner/s have put any money back into their business? I would guess not.

I suggest checking out airbnb dot com to find a truly great stay. People rent out space or rooms in their houses and there are many near the Plaza & Canyon Rd. Just as affordable and way, way, way nicer. There's a whole review system set up to check for safety.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
15 Thank Alowishs

Travelers are raving about these Santa Fe hotels

Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

I stayed at this hostel for a week at the end of May/ beginning of June 2013. I found the hostel to be very pleasant and I had a very good time when I was there. I stayed in the men's dorm and it was very comfortable. The staff was friendly and helpful. The kitchen is huge and well stocked. It is very easy to visit any part of Santa Fe from where the hostel is located. I did not find the chores to be unreasonable or particularly time consuming. At $18 a night, I thought that the hostel was a great deal. I will certainly spend more time there if get the chance and I would recommend this hostel to friends or family.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We had been traveling the country and staying at hostels in every major city. This one was unlike any I had visited before. The rooms and showers are pretty filthy. The place is falling apart in general. The free food is nice, just be wary of expiration dates. Overall, this hostel was a cheap stay. Not the same atmosphere as others, very cold and off putting. Next time, I would splurge on the Budget Inn down the road.

• Stayed June 2013