“So-so”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Santa Fe International Hostel
Bogota, Colombia
“So-so”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2011

When you first arrive at the hostel, you wonder if the owners have any pride in the business they are operating, as the parking lot is a junkyard of restoration projects.

My passport was scrutinised to the nth degree, going to the extreme of looking for my entry stamp to the US, which I felt was unnecessary and didn't make me feel particularly welcome.

I was told about the chore system, which didn't particularly bother me, but it hardly feels as though you scratch the surface because the place is pretty scruffy and unkempt in the first place. I also don't believe that performing chores "engenders community" like they say. On my first day, I opted to clean one of the communal bathrooms, and on the second my dorm bathroom.

It is quite a large place with dorm rooms and private rooms. The dorm I stayed in was large and had 7 beds. The top bunk was definitely the best place to sleep. The mattresses on the bottom were sunken and saggy. There are no lockers to secure your valuables, which is one of the things I always look for in a good hostel.

The kitchen doesn't have an oven, only a microwave and stove-top. There isn't much space to prepare your meals. The plus is that if you wanted, you could eat for free from the donated food that has gone passed its sell-by date.

If you bring your computer, WiFi is $2 per day.

Sadly, this place (which has definite potential) falls on my growing list of dilapidated hostels that fail to keep up with the times. Unfortunately for backpackers, that seems to be rampant in the US.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank alittlecameo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Grand Rapids, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2011

I first stayed here in 2006 and have been back several times since then. I have never experienced the "attitude" that other reviewers have mentioned though I think it's worth pointing out that this is not a hotel and does not offer hotel amenities. If you are not familiar with hostels and hosteling this might not be for you. If you've stayed in some hostels before and enjoyed it I would definitely recommend. This type of lodging option is not the norm here in the U.S. but more like something you'd find in western Europe. I especially liked having use of a kitchen. There is plenty of food and cooking/seasoning ingredients available at no extra charge which can be worth a lot in an expensive location like Santa Fe. You can supplement with your own groceries (there is a Whole Foods a few blocks away). You do have to clean up after yourself and do chores which didn't really bother me at all but might be a deal breaker for some. Don't be afraid to mingle in the common areas because you will meet interesting people and maybe learn a thing or two!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Albany, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2010

This hostel is truly a welcoming place that treats all visitors with dignity and consideration. Yes, we each "chip in" and perform some small daily task in exchange for our stay (taking, tops, 10 minutes)-- but that balances the extremely modest rates for this hostel. The rooms are small but clean, with extra blankets/pillows, good lighting and either a bathroom in the room or close at hand. No long lines, an air of courtesy and friendliness among guests and staff, AND an amazing kitchen where you can help yourself to community food (with a large array of organic foods -- cheeses, yogurt, bread, jellies)--and lots of staples on shelves around the kitchen for those who actually like to cook. While I was there, the owner prepared a huge pot of delicious chili. Not only was it tasty, it brought people together for laughter and conversation, as good food always does. If you're looking for a friendly chat at breakfast, there's always someone in the common eating area to converse with. People here are very, very friendly. As a senior traveler, I do recommend paying slightly more for a private room. Also, ask to avoid a room that fronts on the highway -- if you're a light sleeper, the traffic noises can keep you awake. Without reservation, there's no place in Santa Fe I'd rather stay. Remember: you're less than 10 minutes from wonderful downtown Santa Fe!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank jmc1543
Ledoux NM
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2010

I am an older woman who has stayed at this hostel 5 times. I intend to do so many more. Rooms are clean and simple; some have a half bath. The staff is friendly, helpful and professional. There is abundant free food in the large kitchen including fresh berries, gourmet cheeses, artisan breads. There's a library and a social/living room. Two fine computers are available for a couple bucks. The location is on the main drag, accessible to bus, restaurants etc. No safety worries. People of all ages from many countries are the guests. The cheapest motel in this over-priced tourist town is $15 more; its rooms are about the same and there's no food and the owner is surly.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
London, Arkansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2010

I stayed here for about a week in late May 2010. I stayed in two different private rooms, both were clean and simple. The employees were friendly and polite, very understanding when I checked out and then had to come back due to my travel plans getting screwed up. Lots of free food in the kitchen. Plenty of other hostlers to talk to when I wanted or I could hang out in my room for privacy. When I left, they gave me recommendations/addresses/phone numbers for other hostels along the route I would be travelling. A Santa Fe bus stop is located right outside and makes getting around the city very simple.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2010

My first overnight at the hostel was great; second time around the staffperson was rude and radiating passive aggressive vibes. The good news is that the kitchen is huge and the fridges stuffed with dumpstered delicacies (goat cheese quesadilla with coconut water for breakfast- thanks to freeganisn). The chore system and crypto-communal atmosphere were pleasant in a dysfunctional family kind of way. Some nice guests and i got a good nights sleep. Overall if you are used to budget travel and saving $20 is worth crashing in the display room of the Goodwill Store, recommended. Just cross your fingers and hope the person behind the desk doesn't handle you like expired food.

• Stayed October 2010
1 Thank wiltonhall66
Baden-Baden
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2010

First of all the Pros: Check-in lady was very friendly and professional. The kitchen is big and if you like to cook this is a plus.
The cons:
You have to clean up your room and clean up one of the public areas (bathroom, shower etc). The idea of having people clean up their room is good but it should be reflected in the price.
The beds and rooms are very minimalistic with very hard beds (basically you sleep on wood).We sorted this out by getting the upper beds and added them on ours.
There is a 20$ Key Deposit for the Double Rooms and if you need to check out at early hours the only way to get it back is wait until staff is there. (since this place is run cash-only)
The rooms need to be renovated and I would suggest professional cleaning should be a standard as well.
I don't know if the place ever gets properly cleaned or not.

Value for money is very low so I would suggest not to stay here.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple