2,505 results
All reviewsred sageiguana cafeparrot buffetcasino floornice casinoindoor poolbeautiful resortturquoise trailnative american artnew mexiconon smokinghilton santa felos alamosfitness centerminute drivebalconyspa
Reviewed August 1, 2010

We closed out our week NM vacation with two nights at Buffalo Thunder 15 minutes north of Santa Fe. A few weeks back we stayed at the Homewood Suites on the p[roerty and gave it high marks. As it was sold out we stayed at the Hilton and do not regreet it one iota.

As a Hilton Honors Gold member we were upgraded to a larger room - larger is an understatment - it was huge. The room was very clean throughout and it was made up very quickly every morning. As a suggestion, I would try to avoid the inside facing rooms on the 3rd floor of building #2. Balconies will overlook directly onto large roof top AC units. Thus we spent little time on the balcony. Other minor issues was no tissue in the dispensers and they did not replenish toiletries.

We ate at the buffet both nights - we did not want to eat at the fancy restaraunt and the dining options in the casino did not appeal to us. Though people have complained about the buffet for lacking options, we thought the quality was decent and the options more than enough to satisfy. The breakfast/lunch place - Maci, was good - it would have been nice if they would have it as an ala-carte option for dinner as an alternative to the "fancy" dining spot or the buffet.

The pool area was very comfortable - nice lounges, plenty of towels and an attentive serving staff.

Locationis great for day trip to Chamas, Abiquiu, Taos and Bandallier.

As we have been to Santa Fe several times, we did not feel the need to stay in town. Buffalo Thunder was the right place for relaxing. As I haev family in the area, we will definitely stay at either of the hotels on the Buffalo Thunder campus.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
6  Thank mchud
mkricherson, Marketing Coordinator at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2010

Good afternoon,

My name is Marylyn Richerson and I am the Marketing Coordinator here at the Resort. I wanted to thank you for your review and let you know how excited we are about it! I would like to know if we can use your review as testimony on our new website?

I can be reached at 505-819-2011.

Thank you very much for your time!

Marylyn Richerson

Reviewed July 23, 2010

Great 4-night stay. Had a full suite with 2 double beds in the bedroom. Very spacious, and fantastic bathroom. Even had a 1/2 bath off the living room. Very nicely decorated. Got a suite for less than what you'd pay for a small room in downtown Santa Fe. Excellent golf course at the resort, as well as casino. Very highly recommended.

8  Thank thomasgmay
Reviewed July 21, 2010

We're from CO and know Buffalo Thunder primarily as a more upscale casino and golf course than for the other amenities it offers. We're not high stakes gamblers but find this casino to be better in payoffs than other casinos in the vicinity. There was no problem getting a room within a week of our trip.

During this stay we saw more children than in previous visits. However, parents of kids under the ages of 12 should not mistake this "resort" as having amenities for their little ones. We did see more teens at the outdoor pool than before.

The hotel rooms are exceptionally nice given the newness of this resort. Only a couple of negatives: some torn ceiling drywall above the shower in the bathroom--also a but mildewy; and beyond the terrace wall outside of our hotel room was a short span of roof littered with cigarette butts, standing water and some soda cans--a little unsightly but I wasn't out there long. If this resort is to retain a 4+ star rating, it will have to pay some closer attention to these major details.

A variety of on-site restaurants were appealing, but travelers should take advantage of some of the other local favorite eateries. The Mica Restaurant had good food but slow service. The Painted Parrot Buffet is your garden variety casino buffet. Because this resort also serves as a conference center, the menu in the buffet was definitely conference-style entrees--nothing exceptional.

The Wo' P' In Spa is a bit pricey but the fitness room and indoor pool are above average in comparison to other resorts we've stayed at.

High Points: Get a Player's Card in the casino and play---room and food discounts will accrue. Take advantage of outdoor pool--- it's very clean--great chairs and they serve awesome margaritas! Sight-see --- Santa Fe, Espanola and Albuquerque are an hour or less away. The hotel/casino and majority of the employees were very friendly and helpful.
Low Points: Trying to book rooms w/o the Player's Card discounts. My room and my parents' rooms were $49 to $59 per night --- the best our friends could find w/o Player's Card discount was $188.

It's a great get-away.

6  Thank TrujiTravelers
Reviewed July 21, 2010

Our family with three small children stayed for 3 days and overall enjoyed the property. It is close enough to santa fe to be convenient, yet far enough away to feel away from it all. The food service was very disappointing for a place claiming to be a resort. For breakfast there is a mid size restaurant with a buffet that was downright anemic. The restaurant itself is also dark an uninviting. For dinner, the buffet was very pedestrian and lacked healthy choices. The deli is in the casino so unless you have a gas mask to deal with the smoking, don't bother. Room service was poor too, The food was ok, but they assign only one person to take, make and delivery the orders. A wait of nearly 45 minutes is too long. They also have a kids' center which looked great, but it was not staffed or open during our trip. Finally, the concierge was not terribly well informed about the area and what was offered.

1  Thank oskiwow
Reviewed July 15, 2010

I had seen mixed reviews and maybe I had bad luck -- but I got the down side -- dirty room and bad service from the desk when I asked that it be cleaned. Plus noisy neighbors up late. I took one look at them and decided not to complain.

On the plus side -- a large room, nice views, room is inexpensive for a Hilton resort..

On the negative side -- not close to downtown, too close to a major highway, golf course is nothing special, the upscale restaurant is pricey for Santa Fe.

The thing that surprised me -- the pool. It was big with a lot of kids having a good time. But I am an ex-lifeguard and that is the most dangerous pool I have ever seen. Your line of vision is blocked in several different ways. If you are watching your kid, you would have to move constantly to keep him/her in sight. If you have more one child, then it might be impossible to keep two or more in sight at the same time. In addition there are underwater projecting right angles. Kids or for that matter adults could hit their heads and knock themselves unconscious.

This is my opinion of course. I saw a bunch of parents who didn't seem worried.

Why would Hilton build a pool like this? I have no idea.

I don't gamble so I can't judge casino. It seemed popular. But don't think glamorous.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank anytourist
mkricherson, Marketing Coordinator at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2010

Good afternoon,

I want to start by thanking you for your feedback and apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced during your stay. Without your post we would not know about these challenges and therefore would not be able to correct them. I would like you to know that we have addressed the challenges that you experienced and hope that they do not happen again. I hope that you will visit us next time you are in Santa Fe so that we may redeem ourselves.