“Beautiful Resort”

Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder
Ranked #21 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Reviewed July 4, 2014

Everything about this resort is inviting! The art and furnishings throughout are beautiful. We enjoyed the view from our room and had a great time in the casino.

Some previous reviews mentioned the layout of the hotel. Be ready to do a lot of walking! The room we stayed at was at the other end of the resort from everything else. And the hallways are not air conditioned. However, we were fine with this. The only problem we experienced was the sound of the people above us. You could hear every step they were taking and at times it sounded as if they were running and stomping. Other than that - awesome place!

Room Tip: If you don't like ceiling noise then request a room on the top floor
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder

Reviewed July 3, 2014

We got a good discount on our room here through the casino player's club. The hotel is one of the most beautiful examples of Pueblo architecture in the Santa Fe area. And the pool is fantastic with the islands in it.
It was cool to just go down to the casino at the hotel, and stay there until the wee hours and then go right on up to our room to crash.
One word of caution is that some of the internet hotel booking places where you don't know what hotel you're getting until after you pay show this hotel as being at the Santa Fe plaza area. But a hint is when the hotel description shows a pair of dice that stands for casino, it might be at Buffalo Thunder.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Tex s
Reviewed June 30, 2014

My wife and I stayed here for a couple nights during a conference. They upgraded us to a very nice room for free and it was very comfortable. The hotel is very clean and the pool area is beautiful. If there is one complaint, it is that the hotel is not very easy to navigate, it is very big and you can get lost a little. We only went to the pool once, it was very crowded and it could have been nicer with less people, but it is a large resort, so it does make sense that it would be crowded. Overall, a very good hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Alan G
Reviewed June 30, 2014

Our family of 5 just returned from 5 day stay at Buffalo Thunder. We loved it. The hotel is very new and clean. We booked a one bedroom suite which was perfect for our family of 5. One full bath with 2 showers and a half bath. Beautiful balconies with views of the mountain. My husband loved the golf course. He played two times. I tried the spa and had a great massage. Pool is super kid friendly-just wish the outdoor pool water was warmer. Kids preferred the indoor pool because it was warmer. Pool bar staff is great. Guy the bartender is great and took super good care of us. Pool bar food was good-pizzas are large and fairly priced. Mica has a great breakfast. We were thrilled with our decision to stay outside of Santa Fe rather than in town. This resort appealed to the whole family.

Room Tip: One bedroom suite is great for families.
Reviewed June 29, 2014

Our family of five spent a weekend here and loved the room, the tennis courts, and the pools. The décor is also lovely; lots of cool artwork and sculpture. Food was on the expensive side, but I expect that at a resort, and the breakfast buffet at Mica was very good. We did not go to the casino.

2  Thank mg10116
Reviewed June 29, 2014

We stayed 2 nights at the Buffalo Thunder as was not impressed. Waited 20 minutes one morning for the pool to open once they got around to un-locking the gate we found that the pool area was an absolute mess. Trash and food was left from the day/night before, no towels and the restrooms were gross, no toilet paper and trash all over the floor. The casino is small and disgusting. You can smoke but not drink???????? Really since when is breathing second hand smoke healthy. You cannot eat breakfast in the café if you do not have some type of rewards card(seriously)!! The mini frig in our room did not work, no snacks on the tray and you have to pay for wifi........I would never stay here again!!!!

3  Thank Michelle T
Hal L, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2014

Dear Michelle,
Thank you for taking the time to share comments on your recent stay at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder. I was disappointed to read that we provided such poor service at our outdoor pool and there is no excuse for the condition you found the pool in that morning. We have pool attendants with the responsibility of cleaning and organizing this area every morning prior to our 8am opening. I have shared your experience with our Executive Housekeeper for follow-up. Regarding the casino, state law does not allow the consumption of alcoholic beverages on the casino floor. The three restaurants that we have open for breakfast on the property do not require any type of Rewards Card, so I am confused on your comment regarding this restriction.
I am truly sorry that we provided such poor service to you during this visit, which I can assure you, is not the case in most instances. I would enjoy speaking with you regarding your stay and have added my office phone number and email address for your convenience.
Thank you again for taking the time to write.
All the Best

Hal Leonard
(505) 819-2000
hal.leonard@hilton.com

Reviewed June 27, 2014

The hotel is a good average hilton with spacious rooms and cleanliness. The TV is disappointing with limited channels (some with no signal) and specifically designed to sell pay per view when you turn it on. Don't think the balconies are private if you get one. Wifi is expensive if you don't qualify for free service. The place seems to be children oriented - they are everywhere. Pool is OK if you like kids - more chance of peace in the indoor pool. Best part of the hotel is the Red Sage restaurant. The food, service and wine were outstanding and I don't say that lightly.
Now for the bad stuff. The casino is ruled by a big brother who bans alcoholic beverages and encourages smoking (there is a small non smoking room without table games.) I am personally offended that someone should think I'm incapable of deciding when and where to drink a beer. I am also personally offended ( although still alive) by second hand smoke. The alleged "comps" are difficult to understand, poorly advertised and not suited to tourists. For these reasons, I would not go again. I would try the Red Sage if I'm nearby.

Room Tip: Choose a room in the tower near the front desk - otherwise it is a long walk to the elevators for th...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Clogtowner

Dear Clogtowner,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your June stay at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder. I was pleased to read that you found our rooms spacious and clean and that our Red Sage Restaurant was "outstanding" in terms of food, service and wine. I was however disappointed to hear that our TV selections were less than desirable. We currently offer 49 channels with 17 of them HD, so if there are other channels that you would like to see, please let me know. Regarding your comment on the casino not allowing alcoholic beverage consumption, unfortunately this is a state law and not dictated by the casino operation. I have passed along all of your comments regarding the casino (which is not managed by Hilton), to the casino management team for their follow-up.
Thank you again for your comments and if I may be of further assistance to you, please feel free to contact me via email or telephone which I have listed below.

Hal Leonard