“Nice hotel and a great room, but some issues with cleanliness and guest services” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder

Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder
Ranked #21 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Rio Rancho, New Mexico, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

My kids were out of school for a long weekend and my wife's family lives minutes from this hotel, so we decided to take a quick overnight trip. Our boys love the indoor pool at Buffalo Thunder and we generally like the accomodations. We stay here every few months when we go up to visit the family since it's one of the few nice accomodations north of Santa Fe in the area.
On this visit, we decided to spring for a Double Queen Superior Suite because it offers separate living and sleeping areas and we like to be able to put the kids to bed at a reasonable time and not be stuck tiptoeing and whispering around a dark hotel room. The room was very nice: double doors separate the two spaces, each has its own fireplace and balcony, and the living area even has a powder room.
We checked in around 5pm and took the boys straight to the pool. After that we changed clothes and met some family for dinner and then let the kids play in the arcade for a while before taking them back up to put them to bed. Once they were down, we finally went out to the living area to watch some TV and relax.
After sitting down on the sofa, we started noticing things on the floor: a swizzle stick from a mixed drink, something that looked like a chunk of bacon and some other small unidentified 'chunks'. Since we hadn't had any food or drinks in the living area, it was pretty obvious that the room hadn't been vacuumed after the previous occupants. Once you know that, you can't help but question the cleanliness of everything else in the room. A few minutes later, I went to adjust the back cushion on the sofa and a bunch of sand fell out onto the seat. At that point, I was bugged enough by it to call the front desk to complain. I described what we had found and the guy asked me, "Did you just check in or what?"- apparently implying that we had made the mess and now just wanted to be difficult. He went on to say that he'd make a note of it and make sure his manager was aware. Then, I'm guessing based on his attitude, he flipped me off through the phone and we ended the call.
This place has so much potential: it's a beautiful property in an even more beautiful location; but, with concerns about their housekeeping and the lack of concern for customer satisfaction, I think we'll look for something in Santa Fe next trip.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Darin K
Hal L, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this review, November 3, 2013
Dear Darin,
Thank you for taking the time to review your last of many visits to Hilton Buffalo Thunder. I'm glad to hear that you still find our resort beautiful and that the kids have always enjoyed our indoor pool. I am truly disappointed that the cleanliness of your room on this trip was not consistent with your previous ones. I was also dismayed that the attitute of the Front Desk receptionist was uncaring and that he did not resolve your concern. I would like to have the opportunity of correcting this issue, especially since you have been pleased with your previous stays. Please feel free to contact me via email, which I have included in this note.
Thanks again for sharing.......

hal.leonard@hilton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (479)
  • Turkish first
Marysville, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013

We scored a good last minute deal to stay at this property. For the money, I was very impressed. I would highly recommend this property.

The check in was fast and friendly.

The room was clean, quiet and had nice furniture. There was no fridge nor microwave in the room. The bathroom was quite nice, with the only drawback being the somewhat low(er) flow shower head (if I remember correctly.) They provide nice quality towels. If I remember correctly, the lighting in the room may have been a little dark.

The pool had good late hours. The indoor pool reminds me a little bit of San Simeon. The outdoor pool closed early, but it was cold out. I had to wait until the next morning to take a quick dip in it.

This is one of the best work out rooms I have seen at a U.S. hotel. They have 50 pound dumbbells, numerous machines and a good hours.

They have a computer center with 4 computers for free usage. I was disappointed that they didn't have free wifi (unless you are a Hilton preferred member or something like that.)

Most of the restaurants on site were a little spendy for out taste, except the walk up limited selection deli style place downstairs in the casino. I suspect this isn't an issue for many people who can afford staying here and aren't as cheap as me.

The check out was also quick and friendly.

I would look forward to staying here again.

As others have noted, be aware this is a little bit out of Santa Fe. We found the trip up and down US 285/US84 a pleasant drive, but due be aware you are miles out of the heart of town.

5 Thank western u
Dear western u,
I was so pleased to read that you enjoyed a "Great Stay" on your recent visit to Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder. It sound like the Front Desk staff did a wonderful job at check-in and again at checkout, which I will pass along to them with my thanks. You have listed the rooms, fitness center, pool and business center as some of the outstanding amenities that you enjoyed, which I was thrilled to read.
Thank you for taking the time to complete this review for the readers of TripAdvisor.

Vail, CO
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013

My husband and I went to Santa Fe for a long weekend trip. We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights. I could really rip this hotel but I will just give an honest review: good, bad and ugly.The hotel is huge! There are many things about this hotel that were misrepresented on their website. We stayed in a King Terrace Suite. Our room was at the very end of the building and there is only one bank of elevators on each floor, which was about 300 yards from our room. We didn't mind so much but I can imagine some people would be upset. The water pressure was mediocre in the shower. The TV's are touted to be 42 inches but the are 37 inches. The decor is outdated and there were stains on the carpet. There is no mini fridge so if you take your own beverages, take a small cooler and be prepared to haul it back from the ice machine. Cell service is spotty and the internet is not free. The bed was comfy and they have down comforters which were nice and warm. There were two doors to the terrace, one had a screen and one didn't. There was a stairway located right outside of our door that led to a back door to the parking lot that had a key card lock on it but it was never locked and always cracked open...not very safe. The casino was nice but it is smoky and just so you know, they do not serve alcohol while playing any games because it's run by an Indian reservation. None of the casinos do, FYI. They do have a coffee bar and soda bar though. But, we heard from one of the locals that this casino is the only one that has craps tables, which was a plus for us. Overall, this hotel seemed very impersonal because of the size. We probably wouldn't stay there again because the price was too much for all of the shortcomings.

Room Tip: The end units are probably quieter but a long walk to the elevators.
3 Thank Vailprincess
Hal L, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this review, November 9, 2013
Dear Vailprincess,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Hilton Buffalo Thunder. I was truly disappointed to read that your King Terrace Suite had so many shortcomings. I would like to do my best to turn around your opinion of our resort, by inviting you and your husband back. Please contact me personally by email or telephone at your earliest convenience.
Thank you again for sharing your comments.

(505) 819-2000
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013

My wife and I had a fantastic four night stay, We checked in with Johnny at the front desk and he made sure everything was perfect.Complimentary champain on our anniversary date was wonderful. Hotel was clean and beautiful. We normally go to Las Vegas for special occasions but never again. Buffalo Thunder is the place we will be going to from now on. Thank you Buffalo Thunder and especially Johnny for a great anniversary trip.
David & Evelyn, San Antonio, TX.

3 Thank Evelyn G
Dear Evelyn,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Hilton Buffalo Thunder celebrating your 30-year Anniversary. I was truly pleased to read that Johnny from the front desk provided you and your wife with such outstanding personalized service. It was also great to hear that you've eliminated Las Vegas from future special occasions and that you'll be staying at Hilton Buffalo Thunder from now on. I hope to have the pleasure of meeting you both on your next trip to Santa Fe, so please feel free to reach out to me prior to your arrival.
All the Best

(505)819-2000
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2013

Stayed with my daughter on a vacation to Santa Fe. The hotel is very nice, staff are really friendly and accomidations are comfortable and clean. It's a huge resort! Hot tub was lovely, we each had a facial and it was great as well. Room price very reasonable but food was higher. We greatly enjoyed it but didn't realize it was 20 minutes from town. However, we enjoyed staying on the property for the evening and had a girls night watching movies. I would stay again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

2 Thank Adiannaber
Dear Adiannaber,
Thank you for your review on your recent visit to Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder. I was pleased to hear how much you enjoyed our resort from the facials in our Spa to the "really friendly" staff and for giving us 5 stars on Rooms, Cleanliness and Sleep Quality.
I was also pleased to hear that you'll be staying with us again!
Thanks again for taking the time to share your outstanding experience.
All the Best

Albuquerque, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2013

We arrived at 4:00 p.m. exactly on time for check in and when we got there we were told our room was not ready so we were given complimentary drinks and waited an hour. This was okay, but when we got to our room there were smoked cigars on the balcony left from the previous guests and when I decided to walk barefoot on the carpet I felt dry patches all over. Disgusting!! The carpet is what really disgusted me. After feeling that I was disgusted with the whole room and didn't want to walk on the carpet without shoes for the rest of our stay. Cleanliness was my big issue.

1 Thank Zoe W
Hal L, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this review, October 27, 2013
Dear Zoe W,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent staty at Hilton Buffalo Thunder. I was very disappointed to read that not only was your check-in delayed, but that the cleanliness of your room was not up to the high standards that we pride ourselves on. I was glad to hear that the front desk agent provided complimentary drinks for the delay and would like you to know that we have made an additional adjustment to your room bill for the cleanliness concerns. I will be checking room # 5121 later today with our Executive Housekeeper, to ensure that the problems that you have mentioned have been addressed.
Thank you again for your comments and I hope that you will give the Hilton Buffalo Thunder another opportunity to earn your business on your next visit to Santa Fe.

Providence, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at Buffalo Thunder. Our room was well-appointed and we loved the terrace. The only design flaw was in the bathroom vanity area and lack of towel racks. Restaurants were good but not exceptional and prices were on the high side. Outdoor snf pool areas are nice though it was too cold for outdoor use. The location is outside of town but convenient if you are traveling to different areas, as we were. I'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends