“buffalo thunder”

Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder
Ranked #20 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Reviewed July 8, 2013

hotel and surroundings very beautiful. staff not coordinated as to what is open and when. casino staff (security) not fully aware of how to cash in player's points. room rate $40 over what daily rate for this class of hotel. it is not a $200 a night stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Philip S
Hal L, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2013

Dear Philip,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Hilton Buffalo Thunder. I appreciate your comments regarding some staff members not being aware of what was open, as all of our team members should be aware of these basics. I will make sure to emphasize all of the features of our resort during our daily departmental meetings.
Since you found our hotel and surroundings very beautiful, I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Santa Fe.

Hal Leonard

Write a ReviewReviews (2,310)

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 8, 2013

The room was beautiful at first look but it became clear that there were little details like missing tiles in the shower, the bathroom lock was broken, ect that had been overlooked. However the bed was fabulous and loved the decor and our stay there. I had varying encounters with booking the room. Hilton worldwide was useless to help book the room and give me insight into which room to pick. However when I finally figured out how to book through the hotel it was a little better but still frustrating experience. The day of I called to request a room with a view and had a wonderful experience speaking to a lady named erin at the front desk hands down most helpful person of our entire trip. upon checking in we were definitely disappointed with the person checking us in when we asked some simple location questions like where closet bank and grocery store ect. The guy had no idea and could give us no guidance. It would be nice to have been given a map of Santa Fe. Also after giving us a long spiel about the mini fridge and sensors ect ours was empty and we felt as though it was not acceptable to use. We used (correction tried) the concierge the next day to help us pick a restaurant for dinner but took me about 30 mins to even get some suggestions as she was multi tasking on another level, unfortunately made the simple task I was looking for help on take times as long and ended with no solution other than here googling which i could have done myself in my room. The shuttle was a great way to get down to Santa Fe but became a disappointment when we found out to get back we had to leave by 10 so we ended up taking a $50 cab back to the hotel. Some how we found out about the "caddy" program and our cab was much cheaper but by no help of the hotel. =( Also the side doors to the hotel never closed which seemed like a safety risk. Overall we did actually enjoy our stay very much. My suggestions would be to have more guest friendly maps at the front desk with attendants educated more about the area. I also think would be beneficial to have shuttles return later so one could experience the downtown Santa Fe safely, which would be the only reason I would choose to stay downtown next time rather than the buffalo thunder. Lastly Internet and ability to use a mini fridge should be free in this day and age.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Dear TripAdvisor Member,
Thank you for the detailed review on your recent stay at Hilton Buffalo Thunder. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay very much, despite the tiny details that we missed. I'm sorry that you had to bring them to our attention, however greatly appreciate this feedback which will only help us to improve.
I would enjoy following up with you personally on your review, so please feel free to reach out to me personally by phone or email. And thanks again for the review......

(505) 819-2000
hal.leonard@hilton.com

Reviewed July 8, 2013

The hotel is well maintained and the staff were attentive and kind. Everyone spoke when you approached without your having to speak to them first. I booked a king room with a balcony and was somehow assigned a junior suite with 2 double beds and a much larger balcony than a regular king room balcony. My view was looking out at the mountains and a courtyard between two buildings. Very nice! The rooms were clean and furnishings very up to date and the beds were wonderful. The casino is relegated to the basement (a good thing, in my opinion).

Lots of children were present during the weekend having fun in the pool, etc. Yes, it was a a little noisey but most of the children were well behaved. Someone spilled some ice cubes in the hall and they were quickly picked up. The hotel is large and if one has difficulty walking, one may wish to ask for a room close to the elevators (mine was not and I prefer the quiet).

The hotel is some distance from downtown Santa Fe, so you need a car to get there. The hotel does have a couple of rental cars available through Hertz, but not many. I had to fly to Albuquerque drive to Santa Fe, and then out to the resort. There were two restaurants in the hotel for evening meal service. I chose to go downtown all but one night and then ate at the hotel's buffet, which was fine. All in all, a very nice hotel with great staff.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a large balcony.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
5  Thank Scott077

Dear Scott,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Hilton Buffalo Thunder. I was very pleased to read that you found our rooms clean with wonderful beds and that our staff was not only attentive, but very engaging.
I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Santa Fe.......and seeing that you're from St. Louis.....go Cards!

Reviewed July 7, 2013

Fantastic experience with my kids! I was looking for a quick getaway with my kids for the 4th. I was somewhat apprehensive of a casino resort. It was a great experience. Casino and resort are separate yet connected should an adult wish to venture over. The pool area was fantastic and my kids and I had a blast!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Gwennctx

Dear Gwennctx,
Thank you for sharing comments on your recent stay at Hilton Buffalo Thunder. I was so pleased to read that you had a "fantastic experience with your kids" at our beautiful resort. Glad to hear that our indoor and outdoor pools allowed you and the kids to have a blast!
I look forward to welcoming you and the family back on your next visit to Santa Fe.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

Had a great time. Would definitely stay here again. Golf courses were great! Rooms were wonderful. Try to get one with a balcony. Try Gabriel's restaurant. Just a mile away from the hotel. Pool is very nice. We had good luck in the casino. Everyone is very nice. They do not serve alcohol in the casino and they do allow smoking, but try to get back that.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Colleen W

Dear Colleen,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Hilton Buffalo Thunder. I was pleased to read that you had a great time, you found our entire staff nice and that you had great luck in the casino.
Since you're a local, I look forward to welcoming you back on your next Santa Fe getaway!

Reviewed July 5, 2013

The check in was easy and courteous. The requested handicapped room was at the far, far end of the hall. Why they do that to handicapped people, I don't know. But it's sooo wrong. We asked for and received a room closer to the elevator, but it had one of those short little toilets that are very hard on older handicapped people. But the trade off was livable. Nice balcony. Comfy bed. All in all a good place to visit. Noise in the hall at times.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank johnoC8968WY
Hal L, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent visit to Hilton Buffalo Thunder. I was very pleased to read that the registration process was "easy and courteous" and that your room had a nice balcony and comfy bed. I am so sorry that the accessible room originally assigned, was so far from the elevators.......no excuse for this poor design.
I'm glad that this didn't keep you from commenting that it was "all in all, a good place to visit".
Thank you again for choosing our beautiful resort for your stay in Santa Fe.

Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

Stayed two nights July 1-3 in a one bedroom Terrace Suite and loved it - clean spacious and huge terrace with view of golf course and mountains. We reserved a cabana at the pool for the day and relaxed with cocktails and snacks all afternoon. The fitness center was large and well equipped. The staff at this property are extremely polite and professional - we will be back. Special thanks to Glen - consierge who was helpful with our reservation!

• Stayed: July 2013
4  Thank scooterchuck

Dear Scooterchuck,
Thank you so much for the glowing review of your recent stay at Hilton Buffalo Thunder. It was wonderful to read that you loved the Terrace Suite with the spectacular views of our golf course, and that you enjoyed the cabana experience at the pool. I greatly appreciate you recognizing Glen, our concierge, who was helpful to you during your stay.
I look forward to welcoming you back to our beautiful resort on your next visit to Santa Fe.

hal.leonard@hilton.com