“Nice hotel with friendly staff, good beds, nice location, but not such good food..”

Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder
Ranked #20 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Reviewed May 19, 2013

A nice hotel, large, with lots of entertainment. Good size, clean rooms, good quality beds, nice size bathrooms, but lacking bath robes. Real friendly and helpfull staff. However, the food at the buffet restaurant in our opinion is not too healthy. Too much salt, too greasy. And for the quality we found it too expensive. We had no minibar/cooler in our room. (don't know why not). Nice outdoor pool area, but it was closed for the time of the year when we stayed here. The indoor pool is small but nice. However the shower area for women was not clean, shower curtains old and ripped at the top and again no bath robes available. Two showers out of order. And really too bad they allow children in the indoor pool area at night. Lots of screaming while the adults try to relax in the jacuzzi or swim some laps. At some point we could barely hear eachother talking! We had a nice stay (8 nights, we came from Europe and were on our 30th anniversary trip/getting to know Santa Fe and surrounding county. We loved it! We would recommend the hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Esmeralda S
Hal L, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2013

Dear Esmeralda,
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at Hilton Buffalo Thunder with the readers of TripAdvisor. I was very pleased to read that "you loved it" and would recommend the hotel to anyone. I was disappointed to hear however, that you didn't enjoy the Painted Parrot buffet and wish I had known this prior to your departure.
I also wanted you to know that our outdoor pool is now open and we will have both pools available for the remainder of the season. Hopefully, your next visit to the US will include another trip to Santa Fe and that you will come later in the season to enjoy our resort as well as the Santa Fe Opera which is just 4 miles down the road.
Thank you again for the review and a very belated Happy Anniversary!

Reviewed May 19, 2013

Quiet rooms with beautiful Southwest art throughout. Great fitness room with multiple treadmills, elliptical machines and circuit strength/weight training equipment. Easy to find right off the highway.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
1  Thank Marita J
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Very nice property for the money. Nicely appointed rooms, clean and quiet. Great views as well. A great place to stay in Santa Fe and a great alternative to the pricey hotels on the plaza. Well worth the 12 mile drive and it is easy to get to and from the Plaza area.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
4  Thank David S

Dear David,
Your short and sweet review of Hilton Buffalo Thunder was very much appreciated. I was so pleased to read that you enjoyed our nicely appointed rooms, that were clean and quiet and that our resort is a great place to stay. Hearing that we are a great alternative to the pricey hotels on the plaza was enjoyable as well.
I look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Buffalo Thunder on your next trip to Santa Fe.

Reviewed May 17, 2013

My family was driving from AZ to CO for a wedding and decided to stay over in Santa Fe. We picked this hotel because it looked beautiful and the price was excellent! Upon entering, we noticed that there was a casino attached to the hotel. The hotel said it was smoke free, but when entering the lobby you are hit with such a strong smoke smell. My kids are sensitive to smoke and I can't stand it. Once we got through the lobby and to the elevator the smell was much better which was to my relief.

We were starving from out 8 hour drive and decided to explore the hotel for some place to eat. The only place open at 5:30pm was the buffet. To get to the restaurant you have to pass the escalator to the casino area where smoke just fills the air. We were floored by the $15/per person price for the buffet. We were starving and had went ahead and paid. My daughter is a vegetarian and had option of the salad bar and cheese pizza. The cheese pizza that was on the warmer had been sitting there for a long time. I told her we would just check back for a fresh one. I proceed to the Asian buffet, my husband to the meat carving and Mexican area. I took a bite of my chicken, it was barely warm. I took a bit of my pork, it was cold. My husband was cutting so much fat off his meat and the Mexican item he got he took a bit and put it to the side, it was horrible. We decided to check out other areas since there was a variety of food and all were a disappointment. The fresh cheese pizza never came. My son wanted dessert of course. He wanted a slice of cake. After our experience with the other items I thought I would try the cake first and I was so disappointed that the cake was hard! I don't know how old it was or if it had been sitting out for a long time, but we decided we had enough. We ended up going back to our room and grazing on the peanuts we brought from the drive.

The outdoor pool wasn't open since it was seasonal, but the indoor pool was open. The indoor pool was nice and offered a lot of amenities such as showers, lockers, etc. The kids had fun.

Heading back to the room, we got settled in. I had to make a trip out to the car for my son's pillow. It was a bit nerving as I was walking toward the elevator because there were several older gentleman in the hallway that smelled of booze and smoke that starred at me. I was very uncomfortable.

In the room, the beds were very comfortable, but we were awoken in the middle of the night with drunks roaming the hallways. Took a long time to get back to bed.

Upon leaving we asked to speak to a manger to discuss the buffet matter. He was super friendly and made things right by refunding our meal. The facility was nice, staff friendly but I really wish that I knew this was a part of a Casino. I would have never booked my family there. This hotel has a lot to offer if you are into the Casino scene, don't mind smoke and don't require much sleep.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank h0pe2b_777

Dear hOpe2b,
I truly appreciate you taking the time to review your recent stay at Hilton Buffalo Thunder. I'm pleased that you found our resort beautiful and our staff friendly, however disappointed that you experienced smoke smell from our casino located below the hotel. I also want to apologize for the quality of food in our buffet and was glad to hear that one of our managers was "super friendly and made things right".
I'm glad to hear that your kids had fun and wanted you to know that we now have both the indoor and outdoor pool open for the remainder of the season. I hope that you will have the opportunity of returning to our hotel on your next trip to or from Colorado and that you will allow me the opportunity of showing you how great our resort can be.

Reviewed May 14, 2013

I stayed here for the a work-related conference - wait, make that supposed to be staying here - because I arrived at 12:30p and now it's almost 4p and my room still isn't ready. So I grabbed a $20 salad from one of the restaurants that would leave a rabbit or squirrel longing for more. It was the smallest "entree" salad I've ever had.

I had legitimate need for a room as quick as it could be supplied as I still had a couple of hours of work to do for a demo we were running for the conference exhibit hall. My co-worker got a room sooner than me and offered to exchange mine with his - no go according to the front desk since our rates were different. Didn't matter to us since the company was paying for both of us, but it seemed to be beyond the capabilities of the front desk staff to execute a simple trade. And my room was at the regular much higher rate since they claimed to have run out of conference rates when I registered - you'd think they'd want to make me a happy camper!

The front desk staff referred me to the "very expansive" business center to get my work done. I tried to explain that I had quite a bit of equipment to set up - they assured me the business center would suit my needs. So I went there and found 2 sets of four desks cobbled together to make a "big table". Needless to say, it didn't work out.

So, here I sit, in the lobby, wasting valuable time with the conference opening in less than one hour. I want to speak to the manager next, but this Hilton property is so badly managed, it can only be Paris Hilton who's in charge, and I don't really want to have that mind-numbing experience. I can't wait for the next three days...

I'd give it a '0', but the picturesque scenery bumps it up a notch to a '1'.

Room Tip: Somewhere 20 miles in any direction from the center of this property.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank ScepticalTraveler
Hal L, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2013

Dear Sceptical Traveler,
I appreciate you taking the time to share your arrival experience during your recent visit to Hilton Buffalo Thunder. I hope that you will accept my sincere apologies for not having your room available prior to our 4pm check-in time and that the business center was not large enough to meet your needs for pre-conference preparation.
I also wanted to check on the remainder of your three-day stay, as you didn't mention your guestroom, service levels or conference experience. I would appreciate your feed back on these areas as well as the opportunity to compensate you for the problem that you experienced during your arrival, so please feel free to contact me personally. You mentioned that you want to speak to a manager, so I'll be available for a call or an email.
Sincerely

(505)819-2000

Reviewed May 12, 2013

After a conference in Albuquerque, I decided to stay the weekend and have a "me-day" at the Buffalo Thunder Hilton. Leaving Albuquerque Saturday morning, I headed to Santa Fe and walked around the plaza. What a wonderful place! I then drove to the outskirts of town where I found the Hilton. It made a beautiful first impression. I was able to check in immediately even though it was a bit before check in time. The front desk staff person was excellent.

After settling into my junior suite, I thought I would take a nap. As soon as my head hit the pillow, the kids from the next room were not using their "indoor" voices, with seemingly no direction from the parents to do so. I tried in vain to rest and giving up, decided to check out the pool area. When I entered, it was wall-to-wall kids, even the hot tub had kids swimming in it as if it were a kiddie pool. I sat for awhile hoping it would clear out; alas no, it just got more noisy and uncomfortable. So much for an adult resort -- was hoping since it is a casino resort. I wandered to the spa and the woman there took pity on me and let me use the hot tub there. NO one was around and it was heaven. I decided to reward this excellent behavior by scheduling a spa treatment (massage) right then and there -- and they had the last time of the day open. I hung out and waited until my massage, which was wonderful!

Had a great time in the casino and had dinner the buffet, which was about average for a casino buffet. Then back out to play the machines until it was time for bed. The bed and room were comfy and nice. But alas, around 2 in the morning, the "drunks" started surfacing, walking down the hall not using their indoor voices. Not sure if was the same couple going back and forth or a few folks, either way, don't know why drunk young women think it's cool to shout and scream in a hotel corridor at 2 a.m. I could not get back to sleep and ended up going back down to the casino. If I'm going to be up, might as well have some fun. Finally about 3:30, things seemed to be quieting down so I went back up to the room and yes, got some sleep. You know what's coming -- kids next door woke up bright and early...

There are times I wish these hotels would figure out how to put people into rooms that make some sort of sense. You know, family wing, young drunk partying wing, the folks there for a nice, relaxing, pampered weekend wing. I know there is no way to do this...but wouldn't it be nice?! I wanted to like this place, but in the end, I was just tired by the time I left, and the beautiful first impression had darkened somewhat.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Frances D
Hal L, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2013

Dear Frances,
Thank you for sharing the candid comments regarding your recent stay at Hilton Buffalo Thunder. I was so happy to hear that the bed and room was cozy, the Front Desk receptionist was excellent and that you enjoyed our wonderful Spa......all of the makings for a great visit.
Obviously, all of this was overshadowed by the noise factor that you experienced, which I want to sincerely apologize for. I can assure you that this is not typical of what the majority of our guests encounter, however I cannot deny that this does happen on occasion.
I would like to have the opportunity of turning this around for you. There are rooms available at the end of our hallways that don't experience a great deal of foot traffic and I believe that they would offer a much better option. I have left my email address with my name below, should you want to contact me personally.
Thank you again for taking the time to review our "beautiful" resort.
Sincerely

Reviewed May 11, 2013

8 golfers from Albuquerque came to play and stay the night to celebrate a "certain" birthday.Bernadette unloaded all our clubs & luggage with a smile .
Gary at the front desk set the tone by getting us in our rooms immediately. T-times and golf check in with Laurie & Steve went without a hitch and we were given a sleeve of ball which we all left on the challenging course. Sun, sky and mountains with good friends ...... Priceless. Peg cronim

• Stayed: May 2013
3  Thank Margaret C

Dear Fanore,
I love reading reviews regarding 8 golfers that had such a wonderful time at Hilton Buffalo Thunder and our magnificent Towa Golf Club. It sounds like Bernadette and Gary (two of our hospitality superstars) did a great job setting the stage for an outstanding stay, followed up by Laurie and Steve at the golf course.....sorry about that sleeve of golf balls.
Thanks again for sharing your "Priceless" experience with TripAdvisor and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next Santa Fe golf adventure.