“Indoor pool was the highlight, housekeeping poor.”

Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder
Ranked #21 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Reviewed April 30, 2013

We chose the Hilton Buffalo Thunder because it was the only hotel with an indoor pool. We stayed over spring break in a junior suite on the third floor. This place is, quite frankly, like a fortress. You are walking miles to your room, and miles to everywhere in the hotel. The room was very large, quiet, and clean when we arrived. The housekeeping services were NOT good, never replenishing our water bottles, vacuuming the bathroom (hair) or even replenishing our mini bar snacks. As much as the Hilton prides itself on service, this hotel is not a good representatation of my other Hilton experiences. The pool was nice, as was the hot tub, but everyone in my family got chemical burns on their skin from them. There are great shops in the hotel, with reasonable prices and a great selection. Our package had a breakfast buffet, which was wonderful, loaded with fresh fruits (berries!) and lots of the usual faire. We stayed the week, and as it got closer to the weekend I noticed that there were MANY more people arriving, meaning longer lines, fuller pool and hot tub, and the place lost a lot of its charm as it became crammed full of travelers and gamblers. Overall, our experience was average, but certain staff went out of their way to be helpful, while others did their best to just keep to themselves. Next time we will book at the La Fonda in Santa Fe.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Hal L, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2013

Dear darcywal,
Thank you for sharing your positive as well as constructive comments regarding your recent stay at Hilton Buffalo Thunder. I was pleased to hear that your room was "large, quiet and clean", the shops were great and that the breakfast buffet in Painted Parrot was "wonderful".
Regarding your fortress impression, I have to agree that we do have a large facility which does require some walking. Many of our guests do like the fact that our resort is spread out, however sorry that this was an inconvenience to you. I was also quite concerned reading that your housekeeping services were not up to par. I would like to try and identify this problem and would appreciate you contacting me personally to discuss this shortcoming.
Please give me the opportunity of convincing you to return to our property on your next visit to Santa Fe.

There are newer reviews for Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 30, 2013

The great Southwest, the beauty of the mountains and coolness of the days and the comfort of the Hotel, who could ask for more. We try to make it a twice a month trip and we are never unhappy with the clean rooms, friendly staff, and plenty to do. Great rest, great fun, great golf, great casino and a variety of restaurants. You will not be sorry.... ENJOY LIFE!

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear TripAdvisor Member,
Wow! What a fantastic review of Hilton Buffalo Thunder as well as the surrounding area. I have to agree that this is truly a beautiful area of our country, made even more special by our beautiful resort. Since you're here so often, I hope that you will let me know when your next visit will be, as I would like to have the opportunity of meeting you personally.
All the Best,

Reviewed April 29, 2013

The Good:

Everything was nice and clean. The staff at the front desk was friendly and helpful. Check in was quick. Nice art and statues throughout the hotel. Never had a problem with parking. The room was a decent size, had a safe, and the bed was comfortable.

For a hotel, the workout room was very nice. Had dumbbells that went up to 50lbs, several machine weights and several pieces of cardio equipment. The indoor pool and hot tub were nice too.

There was a small casino on the ground level that was smoke free.

The Bad:

Just walking atop the stairs above the casino, there was an overwhelming smell of smoke. To sign up for the players club you have to go through the smoke filled casino.

The pillows in the room were extremely flat and unsupportive. After the first night, my wife used her travel pillow instead of the hotels pillows.

The refrigerator in the room was stocked and sensored. I would have much preferred an empty refrigerator so that I could fill it with my own drinks.

The Ugly:

I played video blackjack in the smoke free casino and lost 10 out of 11 hands. I realize that is mathematically possible, but at the same time it had me questioning the validity of the game.

Overall I would stay at this hotel again.

2  Thank Tiger52680

Dear Tiger,
Thank you for sharing the Good, Bad and Ugly comments on your recent stay at Hilton Buffalo Thunder. Obviously, the Good was my favorite, where you pointed out that "everything was nice and clean, comfortable bed, nice workout room, indoor pool ant hot tub"......with the highlight being the front desk staff, that you found friendly, helpful and quick.
The Bad mentioned our pillows, so I wanted you to know that we also offer firmer foam pillows upon request by our Houskeeping Department. We are also happy to provide unstocked refrigerators for personal items, should you have the need.
Regarding the Ugly, I have passed along this comment to our casino General Manager, as this area is not managed by Hilton.
Thank you again for taking the time to review our beautiful resort and I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Santa Fe.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

Our recent stay was great except for the fact that the room was advertised as having a refrigerator. Instead the refrigerator was stocked with drinks for purchase with a warning that if anything is moved, the guest will be billed. It had sensors under every item, so you couldn't move anything to add your personal items. The for purchase items were not anything that either of us would ever use.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
5  Thank Valene W

Dear Valerie,
Thank you for sharing comments on your recent stay at Hilton Buffalo Thunder and that your "recent stay was great". I'm truly sorry that you didn't enjoy the stocked mini-bar that we have in all of our rooms, however want you to know that we are always pleased to provide a mini-refrigerator upon request.
Based on your ratings, I will assume that you will be returning to our beautiful resort on your next visit to Santa Fe........please feel free to contact me prior to your visit and I will make sure to provide a refrigerator for your personal items.
All the Best

Reviewed April 26, 2013

Great location and beautiful property. My husband and I stayed two nights in a King superior with a covered balcony. The staff was very attentive and friendly, check in was quick. The room was nicely decorated, clean and fresh. Red, the bar and restaurant was excellent. The breakfast Buffett just okay. StarBucks was great. Parking was free.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank brandywinelady

Dear brandywinelady,
I truly appreciate you taking the time to provide such an outstanding review of your recent stay at Hilton Buffalo Thunder that you titled "Beautiful". It appears from your comments that you enjoyed your room, ease of check-in, Red Sage, Starbucks........and especially our "attentive and friendly staff".
I hope that you will have the opportunity of staying here again on your next visit to Santa Fe.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

During the January stay the manager saw a review I had posted where the booking was hard. He reached out with the best customer service and showed he was truly concerned. when we arrived from the moment you pull up we truly felt like we were truly a welcomed guest. The rooms are great. You would have never guessed a casino is in the hotel. Also you aren't pressured to go gamble like some places. I had a problem figuring out the safe and someone was there quickly. Just walking through the place every one that worked there acknowledged you, smiled, said hello, and if you looked lost asked if they could help. This was from housekeeping to people in suits. One thing I didn't know you have to specify if you want a bathtub (apparently common in newer hotels) We upgraded just because we knew our bones needed it after skiing. We went with a group of friends and was able to get another couple join us. It is on the edge of town but the drive is worth it. The scenery is beautiful and peaceful. We came through in March and stayed just one night but our previous excellent experience made us go back. Next year we are definitely booking again.

Room Tip: Be sure to specify if you want a bath tub. The double with the fireplace overlooking the pool and mo...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Cathy S

Dear Cathy,
Thank you for posting such an outstanding review on your return visit to Hilton Buffalo Thunder. The highlight of the review for me, was hearing that our entire staff made you feel like a welcomed guest.......which you are.
I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon on your next visit to Santa Fe. You know how to find me.........
All the Best

Reviewed April 23, 2013

We spent one night at Buffalo Thunder and enjoyed it very much. The room with a balcony was spacious, the sliding glass door to the balcony provided nice light to the room. It was decorated in southwestern style, including the bathroom. The rooms are far away enough from the casino to avoid the smell of smoke. Unlike other reviews, we didn't smell the smoke in the lobby. The casino, of course, is a different story. Even the non-smoking section is full of smoke smells.
The bed was large and very comfortable, nice sized TV. Good view from our balcony on the 4th floor. All staff interaction was positive.
Cons, the shower tiles were a bit slippery. The snacks/refridgerator items expensive. We ate dinner at the Painted Parrot Cafe and found it like most buffets, adequate but nothing to write home about. Unlike most hotels/motels, Buffalo Thunder charges for internet use.
All in all, it was a pleasant experience and we'll stay here again.

Room Tip: A room with a balcony is great.
1  Thank Vagabundos
Hal L, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2013

Dear Vagabundos,
Thank you for listing Hilton Buffalo Thunder as "one of the better casino hotel properties". I was pleased to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your room which contained "a spacious balcony" with a "large and comfortable bed".
I'm glad to hear that you'll be staying at our beautiful resort again on your next visit to Santa Fe.