“Very nice”

Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder
Ranked #19 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
“Very nice”
Reviewed January 22, 2013 via mobile

We just returned from a four night stay leaving on MLK day. It was very enjoyable. The staff from the front desk to Jeff the Bellman were great. We had a terrace two queen suite on the fifth floor with a great view of the mountains. I expected a larger room because it was supposed to be an expanded jr. Suite although it had a fireplace which was special. The spotless room's terrace was awesome as it faced the Sun during the day, a must for the winter. I would definetely pay a little extra for a suite. The room service menu was very high priced, like a top hotel in Vegas, we refused to use it. The half price nights at the Painted Parrot were pretty good. We found the Turquoise Trail in the Casino to be greatly priced and excellent. We ignored the Snack Bar in the Casino like the plague, virtuously empty because of the rude and unprofessional staff. Two servers had their heads laying on the counter, one stands up and coughs all over the place. I would fire the entire staff, top to bottom. They truly hate their job. That was the only negative and is part of the Casino, not Hilton. Starbucks was a plus. The Casino was nice, didn't win but didn't lose much. All in all the Hilton is first rate and will stay again.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank Mark P
Hal L, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear Mark,
Thank you for taking the time to give the Hilton Buffalo Thunder a Five-Star review! I was really pleased to hear that your four night stay was "very enjoyable", "the staff from the front desk to Jeff the bellman were great" and that the view from your "spotless room's terrace was awesome".
Thank you for spending your four-night MLK weekend with us.

Hal Leonard

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (501)
  • Turkish first
San Angelo, Texas
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Deciding whether or not this is the place to be. Tried to make reservations but it was hard over the phone. When i tried to explain to the lady about needing 3 rooms and told her how i will contact the others about reserving she started to get pushy. She told me how my prices would change. I may try reserving again but asking for a different person. Most reviews sound excellent so I am tempted to cancel my trip to the Ruidosa Resort and Casino to try this one but if I can't get any help may not be worth the extra 3 hours extra drive

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Cathy S
Hal L, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Dear Cathy,
Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns on making a reservation at Hilton Buffalo Thunder. As I am unable to contact you personally, please feel free to give me a call directly and I will be pleased to handle the arrangements.
The direct line to my office is: 505-819-2000 and my email address is hal.leonard@hilton.com.
I look forward to speaking with you soon as well as welcoming you to Hilton Buffalo Thunder. I can guarantee that you will be pleased with your decision to choose us.

Hilton Buffalo Thunder
Allen, Texas
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Checked in to this hotel on 24th december till 31st. Great place to stay. very good staff and good food and options. Casino is not very big yet good. Dinner and Breakfast options needed some more items...

Room Tip: Stayed in the suite room with good sized balcony..
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank pmdnair
Dear pmdnair,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Hilton Buffalo Thunder and for giving us a 5 star review. I was truly pleased to hear that you found our resort to be a "great place to stay" with a "very good staff and good food and options".
I look forward to seeing you on your next visit to beautiful Santa Fe.......
All the Best

Sun Lakes, Arizona
Reviewed January 17, 2013

A wonderfull time had at this resort. Took extra care of our small dog. Great place to walk our dog every day. Bell Staff was one of the best in the world. All staff made our stay very nice. Room was very good. Bathroom very clean all the time. Had a fire place in the living room and one in the bedroom.

Room Tip: 5th floor West view
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Lawrence H
Hal L, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this review, January 19, 2013
Dear Lawrence,
Glad to hear that you (and especially your pooch) had such a "wonderful time" at our resort. I have passed along your comments to our Bell Staff that you rated as "one of the best in the world". On behalf of our entire team of professionals, I look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Buffalo Thunder on your next visit to Santa Fe.

Olathe, Kansas
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Buffalo Thunder Resort and Casino is a large, Pueblo-style Hilton located north of Santa Fe. We arrived on a Friday evening and quickly checked in. The large hotel is immaculately clean, from the lobby, to the hallway, to our room. After checking in, and for our two day stay, I rarely saw staff, though we didn’t go out in the common areas of the hotel much.

Our room, decorated in a southwestern theme, was well-appointed had a comfortable king-size bed. It was spotless and felt as though we were the first guests to stay in the room, nothing seemed worn or less than perfect. The hotel was quiet and relaxing – while I saw other guests I never heard them.

Unfortunately I did not have the opportunity to use the spa while I was there, if I make it back to Buffalo Thunder I will certainly try to do so. We were there during a heavy snow, so I could only look at the pool/outdoor entertainment area, but it, too, looked quite nice.

The hotel is located north of Santa Fe and, while it is an easy 10 minute drive, it’s not in the thick of the action. If it’s Santa Fe proper you’re there to see you may want to consider staying at another spot. For us, the drive didn’t bother and we enjoyed the scenery. I would definitely stay at Buffalo Thunder again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mamie222
Dear Mamie,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a glowing review on your recent stay at the Hilton Buffalo Thunder. I was pleased to read that you were "quickly checked in" and that our hotel was "immaculately clean from the lobby, to the hallway, to your room" and that your "well-appointed room was comfortable and spotless". I have passed along your very positive comments to our Front Desk staff as well as our Housekeeping team. I'm also pleased that the 10 minute drive to downtown Santa Fe, allowed you to enjoy the scenic beauty of northern New Mexico. We look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Buffalo Thunder on your next visit to this area.
Sincerely

santa fe
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Our experience with this Hilton property and one other has been that every amenity is isn't really an amenity. Buffalo Thunder has been anything but to live up to it's price. Since we have arrived, there have been issues. Initially, we were reserved a King room on the fifth floor. We called the day of arriving and made sure that we could have early check-in. The guy (Drew) at the desk, assured us it was ready. After driving 4 hours we got to the resort well after usual check-in time and we had no room ready. We had to wait, tired, the staff assumed we wanted to gamble and said, we will call your cell number when the room is ready. Took a good 45 minutes and low and behold, room is ready and on a lower floor, with a crappy view.

We are so tired we check in. First off, the vanity curtain falls off on top of me when I try and pull it, The bed is very hard and since (3 days in) we have had many issues. When we pointed these things out, the gracious staff gave us comps for Starbuck's which has limited hours. So, we can't use them. Also, the bar where we have the free drinks isn't opened. Our main issue is that it is a lot of money for a crappy bed, one cup coffee maker, bad housekeeping and no fridge, nor microwave!

Room Tip: Shop around! Less is more, there are better properties in Santa Fe for the money!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank c s
Hal L, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Dear CS,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to Buffalo Thunder. Please allow me to offer my sincere apologies for your disappointment with our check-in process as well as the firmness of our mattresses. I was also bothered to hear that in our attempt to minimize your inconvenience, our staff offered coupons that were difficult to utilize. I can assure you that your feedback is greatly appreciated and will be addressed during our daily meetings with our Front Office staff.
I would greatly appreciate you contacting me directly, so that I may address your concerns on a personal basis. Thank you again for your comments.
Sincerely

hal.leonard@hilton.com
san antonio
Reviewed January 15, 2013

We just spent the past weekend at this property and it was all that is advertised and more. We were greeted promptly by the Front Desk and given a room upgrade. My wife used the Spa and was thrilled by the very professional yet personable attendant. Our kids went to the indoor swimming pool on Saturday and it was just perfect as with the cold weather in NM we were able to enjoy our time indoors.
Our Servers were great during the two times we went to the restaurant. One of our children did not feel well so we had to leave prematurely and they gave us club soda to settle their stomach. Very attentive and caring.

Thank you for making our stay memorable.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank tavoluna l
I truly appreciate you taking the time to review your "Birthday Weekend". It was pleasing to read that your experience at Hilton Buffalo Thunder, "was all that is advertised and more"......I have passed along your positive comments to our Front Desk staff, the Spa attendants as well as the "attentive and caring" staff in our restaurant. We look forward to seeing you again and creating another "memorable stay" on your next visit to Santa Fe.
All the Best