“Artfully decorated!”

Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder
Ranked #21 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Artwork is everywhere! Rooms are beautiful. The location was convenient for me being only 20 minutes drive from both Santa Fe and Los Alamos. The workout room has good machines. Pool was nice, but outdoors. My only problem was that my original room overlooked the airconditioners and was extremely noisy. Staff worked to get me a new room for my second night so I could sleep.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the air conditioners.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank plains16
Hal L, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2012

Wow! Thank you for taking the time to share your outstanding comments on the Hilton Buffalo Thunder. I was very pleased to hear that you enjoyed our artwork throughout the property, which is truly museum quality. Your remarks stating that "rooms are beautiful, pool nice and the workout room has good machines" are greatly appreciated. Next time, please try our indoor pool and whirlpool room, located right next to the fitness facility. I'm sorry that the outside air conditioners were noisy, however happy to hear that our staff was able to provide a new room for your second night.
Thank you for choosing Buffalo Thunder and for your thoughtful feedback.

All the Best

Hal Leonard

There are newer reviews for Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder

Reviewed November 10, 2012

I was very disappointed in the week I stayed at this hotel. I understand that it's recently come under new management, and that a lot of money has been invested in this location, but here is a list of issues that I had during my stay:
- The power went out no less than three times
- The wifi was spotty, which was a minor annoyance for surfing and email but made downloads and streaming impossible
- The buffet was expensive enough to keep most people away, which resulted in food that didn't move and got stale
- The water was hard and poorly treated. None of the water on the first floor was treated at all. The stuff that came out of the fountains was white and cloudy.
- Room maintenance was very poor. The door to my bathroom had a gaping hole where a doorstop per had been torn out. It was just painted over. Additionally, one of the curtain rods was torn out of its anchors and left un-mended.

On the bright side, the staff were well trained. I won't be returning.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Evan F, Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2012

I want to personally thank you for sharing details about your stay with us. I understand guest room presentation and amenities were of concern, and assure you that we will use your feedback to improve. I will be sure to pass the kind words regarding our staff along to our team. I hope you will give us another chance to offer authentic Hilton hospitality when you return to the area. Thank you!

Reviewed November 8, 2012

I attended a convention at the Buffalo Thunder Hilton Resort. You have to walk a long ways to your room but you did not have to wait for an elevator, which is a major problem at most conventions. WiFi was sketchy in our room but was available down by the checkin desk. The rooms were very comfortable and the staff really worked to make sure we were happy. The food in the restaurants was above most resort hotels, while feeding a crowd. The only meal that I ate that I did not like was their Italian buffet. The chicken and lamb was overcooked. But the staff really worked to get the food out timely, which is often a problem when attending a convention, where we all eat at the same time.
I left a sweater at one of the banquets, it was turned in, and Lost and Found was fantastic in helping me retrieve my sweater. I would definitely stay here again if I was in the area. Unfortunately, I did not win in the casino so it may be some time before I get back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to the elevators if you don't feel up to a hike!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Howie28904

Dear Howie,
Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your October stay at the Hilton Buffalo Thunder. I'm not sure what convention you were attending, however it was great to see that you recognized our "fantastic staff, comfortable rooms and rapid elevators". I have also shared the story regarding your lost sweater and that it was turned in a returned to you by our Lost & Found Department.
As the new General Manager for this property, I can assure you that your comments provide the feedback that we need to offer an even higher level of service that you were so kind to point out.

Hal Leonard

Reviewed November 5, 2012

We found this Hilton to be clean and quiet. We really enjoyed watching the sun set from our balcony. There are plenty of restaurant choices on site, and nice workout room. We liked it so much we stayed for two nights instead of one.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Weliketogo
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We spent 3 nights at Buffalo Thunder in early October. The golf course and grounds are beautiful. The hotel and casino was just as gorgeous. All of the staff that we encountered were very friendly and accommodating. Our room was huge with beautiful decorating and a large bathroom with one of the largest showers I've ever seen! There were several restaurants and gift shops to occupy your time and then there is the casino...lots of slots and table games. One of the best restaurants was located in the casino. Try the green chili stew...mmmmm good!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Cecilia M
Reviewed November 5, 2012

The property, people and food and more than we expected.

Wonderful room with a Kiva Fireplace and balcony overlooking the pool area. We ordered room service and a bottle of wine and enjoy the evening.

A must stay

Room Tip: Request a room with balcony overlooking the pool.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dblanke
Reviewed November 2, 2012

We stayed here for a couple of nights after visiting ABQ for the balloons. I advanced purchased a junior suite about 4 months ago. Wanted to stay away from the city for some quiet. We tried to check in around 2PM becasue we had both gotten sick and felt terrible and were told none of the suites were ready. Came back around 4 and got our room. The room was nice with a bedroom and living area and gas fireplaces in both , along with a nice balcony. I was not happy that our view was of the parking lot and we overlooked the noisy air conditioners of the casino. I thought I should have gotten a nicer view since I had pre-booked and paid so many months before. It was just too noisy on the balcony to relax. The room was very clean and nicely decorated, though starting to get a little shabby. Strings hanging on the sofa, wobbly arm on the chair, finishes in bathroom starting to rub off. We had a couple of drinks at the bar and went down to the casino. Casino was very smokey, which we just aren't used to. Had a couple of more drinks at the Turquoise Trail , some wings and nachos. Food just ok. Bartender just plain inhospitable. Never greeted us, just threw a couple of napkins on the bar. Asked about anyone teaching gambling on the floor, didn't know. I wouldn't go here again. Thought I was going to get some peace and quiet away from the downtown area and it just didn't happen.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Evan F, Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2012

First of all, thank you for your review of your past stay at our hotel. I apologize that we were unable to accommodate your reserved room type and the type of view you were looking for. Our front desk department goes through a lengthy process each day to ensure that our guests receive exactly the room expected, however at times we do not have the same availability due to guests extending their stays with us. Also, I do apologize if your room was not up to your expectations. I have addressed your concerns with our housekeeping staff and have already taken care of the sofa, chair and finishes in the bathroom. Your feedback is very important to us as we constantly strive to offer our guests an exceptional stay. Once again, I apologize for the inconvenience and do hope that the next time you travel to the area you will consider staying with us again