“Great Rooms & Public Space, but No Coffee Shop/Cafe”

Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder
Ranked #19 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Columbia, Missouri
“Great Rooms & Public Space, but No Coffee Shop/Cafe”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Stayed for three nights—Thursday through Saturday. Hotel was very attractive and filled with fantastic contemporary Native American artwork. Staff was friendly and helpful. It’s located north of Santa Fe and easily accessible from the Interstate, but you do feel pretty isolated. The Red Sage Restaurant was good, but a bit elaborate if you’re not looking for a “dining experience” (their lounge area was very pleasant and shared the Red Sage menu). The Mica Restaurant might have been a possibility but we were told it was only open weekends and it may have only been open for lunch. The Painted Parrot Buffet was pretty typical of casino buffets. What they don’t tell you is that you actually can order from a menu in the “Painted Parrot” so it is the only real option for breakfast, aside from Starbucks which did have rolls or a microwaved breakfast burrito. Restaurants off the gaming area in the lower level require wandering through a haze of smoke (smoke that rushes up the escalators into the main floor hallway as well). I tried the Turquoise Trail Bar & Grille and the hamburger was tasty enough, but the service was slow and the atmosphere about what you’d expect in a casino. Gabriel’s, a restaurant one exit closer to Santa Fe was the best casual eatery we found. If they had a more normal coffee shop, it would help a lot. Even so, the rooms and the public spaces were great. Pool area was very pleasant as well.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (503)
  • Turkish first
a
Reviewed September 30, 2012

thanks to all the front desk staff that made our stay very pleasant, we remember wanda but there were others too. the breakfast staff were also very friendly and eager to please.

as other posters have commented, the hotel is outside santa fe but is easy to reach by car. no need to pay inflated central santa fe hotel rates, you can stay here in a spacious, light suite instead.

wifi is unreliable though, the hotel needs to fix this.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank fadfd f
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Stayed at this location over the New Year's holiday 2011/12. A tradition I'm trying to keep going. Setting is very nice. Rooms are really good to put it politely. Stayed in the Superior Suite room. It was a very nice two room, two balconies, two fireplaces and two bathrooms. Pretty much two of everything. Upon arrival our room wasn't ready at the specified time had to wait about 40 mins for them to call me to say it was ready. I didn't receive that call. Feel while the hotel side is managed using the Hilton name, they the hotel staff don't live up to that standard of other Hilton's. I make this assessment not based on this incident but, of multiple issues over my last two stays here at this property. These issues are minor but, the check-in is where the first impression is made. Hopefully, my next review I won't have any issues more to follow. Overall, the resort is great would love to see more eateries, but they are sufficient to get you through the holiday if you are staying at the hotel. The Casino while smokey is what it is you may get lucky or you might not. We went to a couple of restaurants one called the Turquoise Trail for drinks and food. Food and service was good. The bar is good but not always easy to get a drink when it gets busy throughout the evening. I only bring that up because if your gambling and want a quick brew or such there isn't a defined location to get that. So you have to weave into someone elses area sitting at the bar. They should have a walk-up area it would make it alot easier to get a drink. Because you can't drink on the Casino floor which is OK with me. Also, ate breakfast at the Mica restaurant thought it was very good. Tryed out the Painted Parrot buffet it could be better but it was very good this time. Also, got a late night snack at The Pueblo Deli and it was also tasty. I have been to this hotel over a half a dozen times. While it is pricey it is a nice setting and a nice getaway. If I didn't have the check-in issue along with another issue I won't mention I would have given an excellent rating because everything was excellent after the check-in.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Centennial, CO
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Beautiful hotel. Unique artwork and decoration. Disappointed that my room overlooked the back parking lot but it was very quiet. Enjoyed a cup of coffee on the balcony in my pajamas. Just what a vacation should be. Difficult getting my dad out of the casino. Clean rooms. Approachable staff. Appetizers in the bar were expensive but good.

Room Tip: Request a room with a view. Watch website for specials.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank jj25Centennial_CO
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Upon arrival, we found that our room wasn't ready. The desk clerk told us repeatedly to come back in 15 minutes,so we checked in every 15 min.-30 min.,our room was finally ready after 2 hrs. So off to a poor start.The room was clean and accommodating.We loved everything from the Fireplace, Furnished Balcony, Lighted Make up Mirror, and Room decor to the Lounge area, Pool and Hot tub! We did have a mishap with extremely rude, loud and disrespectful hotel guests in the hallway, they carried on for 5 hours. There were at least a dozen of them. But finally they were removed at 2 am. It was tough on me and my husband, we were on our 1 year wedding anniversary get away. The guests ruined the evening. We loved Karan the concierge, very helpful and knowledgeable!!

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a high floor and away from the elevators or meeting rooms.
2 Thank mrsangelgw
Evan F, Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Thank you for your review of your recent stay at our hotel. We always appreciate hearing from our guests - including when comments help identify ways we can improve. I apologize for the delay at check in but am glad to hear Karan was helpful and welcoming throughout your stay. I understand that noise from other guests was an issue one night of your stay; while we do have additional security and overnight managers available during high traffic periods - we regret that noise was disruptive to you. I apologize that you're anniversary get away was interrupted by other guests and I have shared your review with our security team so that we can do a better job of preventing situations like this moving forward. I do hope the next time you return to the area you will consider staying with us again.

Evan Fresquez
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Very Impressive Property. Out of Santa Fe, but well worth the distance. I was not offered any "freebies" as I am not longer a Hilton Honors Gold, but was provided with a balcony room, though I did not pay for a balcony.

The Hotel and property itself is very reflective of the hisotry and culture of the area. The sculptures are amazing.

The casino very nice and clean.

Would definitely come back to this property.

2 Thank kalenaj
new mexico
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Quick, easy check-in.........assigned a fine room. Observed the staff here and throughout were pleasant and friendly. Young woman wiping smudges off an entry door asked "having a fun stay?" We just had a Sunday night stay so it was slots, table games and the buffet. Usually vist the weight room/gym but didn't have the shorts and T-shirt along. The massive bronze sculptures are a marvel....one shouldn't tire of seeing them. Worth the price of a stay. The desgin and construction rivals the art. YES, YEARNING TO RETURN.

Room Tip: DON'T BE SHY.....I believe the clerks will try very hard to please and accommodate.
3 Thank greenchilikid