“Nice Resort”

Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder
Ranked #21 of 61 Hotels in Santa Fe
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Stayed at this location over the New Year's holiday 2011/12. A tradition I'm trying to keep going. Setting is very nice. Rooms are really good to put it politely. Stayed in the Superior Suite room. It was a very nice two room, two balconies, two fireplaces and two bathrooms. Pretty much two of everything. Upon arrival our room wasn't ready at the specified time had to wait about 40 mins for them to call me to say it was ready. I didn't receive that call. Feel while the hotel side is managed using the Hilton name, they the hotel staff don't live up to that standard of other Hilton's. I make this assessment not based on this incident but, of multiple issues over my last two stays here at this property. These issues are minor but, the check-in is where the first impression is made. Hopefully, my next review I won't have any issues more to follow. Overall, the resort is great would love to see more eateries, but they are sufficient to get you through the holiday if you are staying at the hotel. The Casino while smokey is what it is you may get lucky or you might not. We went to a couple of restaurants one called the Turquoise Trail for drinks and food. Food and service was good. The bar is good but not always easy to get a drink when it gets busy throughout the evening. I only bring that up because if your gambling and want a quick brew or such there isn't a defined location to get that. So you have to weave into someone elses area sitting at the bar. They should have a walk-up area it would make it alot easier to get a drink. Because you can't drink on the Casino floor which is OK with me. Also, ate breakfast at the Mica restaurant thought it was very good. Tryed out the Painted Parrot buffet it could be better but it was very good this time. Also, got a late night snack at The Pueblo Deli and it was also tasty. I have been to this hotel over a half a dozen times. While it is pricey it is a nice setting and a nice getaway. If I didn't have the check-in issue along with another issue I won't mention I would have given an excellent rating because everything was excellent after the check-in.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,346)

Reviewed September 26, 2012

Beautiful hotel. Unique artwork and decoration. Disappointed that my room overlooked the back parking lot but it was very quiet. Enjoyed a cup of coffee on the balcony in my pajamas. Just what a vacation should be. Difficult getting my dad out of the casino. Clean rooms. Approachable staff. Appetizers in the bar were expensive but good.

Room Tip: Request a room with a view. Watch website for specials.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank jj25Centennial_CO
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Upon arrival, we found that our room wasn't ready. The desk clerk told us repeatedly to come back in 15 minutes,so we checked in every 15 min.-30 min.,our room was finally ready after 2 hrs. So off to a poor start.The room was clean and accommodating.We loved everything from the Fireplace, Furnished Balcony, Lighted Make up Mirror, and Room decor to the Lounge area, Pool and Hot tub! We did have a mishap with extremely rude, loud and disrespectful hotel guests in the hallway, they carried on for 5 hours. There were at least a dozen of them. But finally they were removed at 2 am. It was tough on me and my husband, we were on our 1 year wedding anniversary get away. The guests ruined the evening. We loved Karan the concierge, very helpful and knowledgeable!!

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a high floor and away from the elevators or meeting rooms.
2  Thank mrsangelgw
Evan F, Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2012

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at our hotel. We always appreciate hearing from our guests - including when comments help identify ways we can improve. I apologize for the delay at check in but am glad to hear Karan was helpful and welcoming throughout your stay. I understand that noise from other guests was an issue one night of your stay; while we do have additional security and overnight managers available during high traffic periods - we regret that noise was disruptive to you. I apologize that you're anniversary get away was interrupted by other guests and I have shared your review with our security team so that we can do a better job of preventing situations like this moving forward. I do hope the next time you return to the area you will consider staying with us again.

Evan Fresquez

Reviewed September 25, 2012

Very Impressive Property. Out of Santa Fe, but well worth the distance. I was not offered any "freebies" as I am not longer a Hilton Honors Gold, but was provided with a balcony room, though I did not pay for a balcony.

The Hotel and property itself is very reflective of the hisotry and culture of the area. The sculptures are amazing.

The casino very nice and clean.

Would definitely come back to this property.

2  Thank kalenaj
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Quick, easy check-in.........assigned a fine room. Observed the staff here and throughout were pleasant and friendly. Young woman wiping smudges off an entry door asked "having a fun stay?" We just had a Sunday night stay so it was slots, table games and the buffet. Usually vist the weight room/gym but didn't have the shorts and T-shirt along. The massive bronze sculptures are a marvel....one shouldn't tire of seeing them. Worth the price of a stay. The desgin and construction rivals the art. YES, YEARNING TO RETURN.

Room Tip: DON'T BE SHY.....I believe the clerks will try very hard to please and accommodate.
3  Thank greenchilikid
Reviewed September 25, 2012

My family and I choose to stay at Buffalo Thunder Resort while in Santa Fe and the surrounding area for a week. The price was VERY competitive after calling around some of the other hotels. After looking online, there was no question that we wanted to stay at Buffalo Thunder. This Hilton resort is only 10 minutes from Santa Fe, and we appreciated the feeling of security being outside of the town. (We were almost robbed by gunpoint at a gas station)

The resort is new, and everything from your room to the first minute you see the place, is great! The hotel decor, room decor and details are beautiful. Beds were amazing, and there is a snack bar in your room! Also, I want that bathroom in my house!! By far, my room (and bathroom :-p) was the best hotel room I have ever stayed in. Everything was new, clean, very comfortable, and I really loved the whole hotel's theme. I wish I could live there at the hotel. There are like 5 different restaurants within the resort that you can choose from. I had a buffalo burger at the Red Sage and it was great. Dining for lunch was really nice- we sat next to big windows overlooking the pool and hills. We also ate at the Painted Parrot Buffet- the food was good, but expensive. I would probably still eat there again.
I would definitely stay here again. The level of security you experience is great. You have to be a hotel guest, with a key, to use the elevator and access your floor. You can find security in the halls, lobby, and parking lot. I will come back again within the next year, and I plan on trying out the pool, a new restaurant, and also revisit the Red Sage. My mother wants to go back to the Wo'P'in Spa.
They have a really nice tourist/souvenir shop where I got a Buffalo Thunder shirt. I wear it proudly.

The only negative point I could make is that the internet is not free. You can choose from 2 types of internet - fast, or really fast. It's like $10 a day or something. And if you choose to stop by and use the business center, there is a time limit on all the computers so you cant stay too long.

I should also mention that we stayed here back in 2011.

I cant wait to go back!! Between my first visit to Santa Fe, and staying at Buffalo Thunder, I don't know which was nicer!! I loved Santa Fe, and I loved the resort. Staying at the resort really complimented the getaway. "Should we go downtown, or stay in at the resort today?"

Check in was easy and I liked the outfits that the staff wore. The place really blew me away. I wouldn't dream staying anywhere else.

I should also mention that I called the front desk one night close to midnight because I was hungry for something other than the snack bar in my room. The desk person told me that all the restaurants at the hotel had closed for the evening, but they were still able to go into the kitchen, and make me a sandwich! I was so pleased!!

Room Tip: Stay at this hotel! This is where you want to be!
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank DanRust89
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Rooms with gas fireplace and balcony very nice. Beautiful Lobby and hallways with Indian Art. About 16 miles north of Santa Fe. Beautiful Adobe architecture. Nice pool area. Just wish pool would have been deeper than 4'. Pool looks big but isn't. Relaxing overlooking Southwest sunsets. Fireworks one Sunday a month at hotel. Several restaurants and Buffet. Lots of free parking. Casino in basement. Did win on a Friday, put it back in on Sunday ;-( very good value, since its about half of what a 5 star hotel costs in Santa Fe. Excellent Highway,doesn't take long to drive to Santa Fe from this hotel. I would have given it a 5 star if pool would have been deeper, maybe a waterfall and larger. The sitting area above water in middle of pool looks nice but is wasted water space. Would go back. Indian casinos do NOT serve free alcohol while gambling! It also has its own Chapel for Weddings. Like Mountain View. Large grass area in back of hotel for dogs. Dog friendly, deposit required.

Room Tip: All are good rooms, but prefer mountain view! Otherwise you might overlook parking lot. Balcony room...
1  Thank Destiny2000