“Save Your Money and Time...”

Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder
Ranked #20 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
“Save Your Money and Time...”
Reviewed June 5, 2012

Sadly, I have to write a negative review...My wife and I stayed at this resort and attended a concert in late May 2011. We heard from a few that it's not all it's cracked up to be, and after all said and done, they were right.

At check-in, the staff was uninformative and didn't really know that Styx was playing in their resort. The person that did the check-in wasn't the greatest and friendliest person either and didn't understand the Spa package that we purchased.

The Spa is owned by a different group of folks, which is probably the same with other resorts, but in order to clarify what the package entailed, we had to speak with the manager. We enjoyed the facilities, but could be a bit overpriced.

The room was nice, but wasn't anything special compared to other places that we stayed in. For the price, I would have expected a bit more room and/or special items in the room.

We attempted to eat dinner at steak house before our concert. After waiting a long time (45 minutes) for our steak, we started to worry that we would miss the concert. The restaurant manager tried to speed things up and brought undercooked steaks. The manager tried to make up for the poor service with a back stage pass and a free drink, but he never really took care of our bad experience. We eventually had a hot dog after the concert.

The casino is a typical casino, but we did enjoy one of the bars that had a good house band, which is no longer the house band. Hmmm...

I wrote a letter to management to describe our experience and to this day (one year later), we never received any replies.

If you like "ritzy resorts", then Buffalo may be your cup of tea. For us, we won't return. There are better deals out there. See my other review...

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (507)
  • Turkish first
Reviewed June 4, 2012

Although the parking lot was completely full at night, I did not find this resort/hotel crowded in anyway. Perhaps most of the crowd was at the casino, which is at the opposite end of the room and suites area of the hotel. I'm not a gamer, so no comment on how the casino was. My double queen bed room was quite large and included a gas fireplace. Staff came in and turned on the fireplace and left chocolates in the evening. The bathroom was huge! The room and bathroom were clean and in good repair. Large balcony patio with some patio furniture. The fitness room had plenty of equipment, although the cable tv was not working on the treadmills. However, I found running the outdoor "Butterfly" concrete path/trail preferable to the treadmill anyway. Part of the trail weaves in and out of the resort golf course and consisted of a 2.5 mile loop and a smaller, but more difficult to find, smaller loop of 1.5 miles.

I had limited contact with staff, but those who checked me in and out were quick and helpful.

The free breakfast for HHonors members in the restuarant included of hot eggs, potatoes, bacon, sausage, toast, bagels, muffins, oatmeal, cold cereal choices, fresh fruit and juices.

The only downside was that this resort in 10-12 miles outside of Santa Fe, so you have a little bit of a drive to go to downtown for work, restuarants, shopping, movies and other activties. Overall, though, I would definitely stay here again. I give it a 4 out of 5 only because of the distance to Santa Fe.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank FreqyFlier
Reviewed June 2, 2012 via mobile

I attended the Hilton golf academy at Buffalo Thunder in early May. The whole experience exceeded my expectations. Steve Moreno, the PGA pro,gave the two of us his undivided attention and we learned so much in our three days of instruction! Steve and the entire golf staff were warm and welcoming and heaps of fun. The hotel was gorgeous,and the artwork and dining were first rate. I would highly recommend this golf academy experience.

Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Pauline W
Debary
Reviewed May 31, 2012

We had a fabulous time. The room was beautiful and extremely clean. We were on the second floor but our balcony was actually a patio. We really enjoyed sitting out there after a day of whitewater rafting, hiking and being tourists. We had a beautiful view of a ski mountain.

We had a fun time in the casino. I had read some poor reviews about it being extremely smoky and that there were some questionable characters hanging around. That was absolutely not the case. The casino was very nice. I don't smoke and really don't like smoke but the place was not smoky at all.

Food is not that important to us. We basically ate at the Bar in the casino or at the deli. I enjoyed all the meals that I had. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Hint - If there's no ice in the ice machines, call the front desk. They will bring it to you ASAP

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank TravelMaineac
santa fe, nm
Reviewed May 31, 2012

We don't live far from this resort, but like to go for little getaways here. Gorgeous grounds, really nice rooms, restaurants, bars, etc. Awesome casino. There is a really nice pool area. The only downside is the thing they do on the weekends when anyone (non-guests) can go to the pool. Similar to Rehab at the Hard Rock. It's crowded and loud. Some may enjoy that, but it's not my thing. Other than that, you won't be disappointed. We'll definitely go back.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank ketml
Jenks, OK
Reviewed May 31, 2012

We stayed two nights, did a little gambling and enjoyed a full day in Santa Fe. If you are approaching from Albuquerque be aware that Saint Francis exit from I-25 is closed. You can still get there but it takes some doing. I called the Hotel and they gave us great instructions to work around the snafu. The first night we were in a room that had a large noise piece of equipment outside the window, they upgraded our room for the night. The casino host was not very helpful. We had to work with her to obtain a $59 advertised night for our second night. I had to advise her that she could hold the original reservation until we could confirm at the new rate. It worked great after that. Our original rate was $89.

Room Tip: Rooms on the top two floors are better, and on the casino side.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dudetime
Reviewed May 29, 2012 via mobile

So this was a comp stay....and the staff at the hotel treats you as a second rate guest. A comp room for those folks sitting at the front desk at the hotel means i have spent enough in the casino to earn a free night. Walking into the room i had to kill spiders ....they have snacks but at 3.00 for a snicker and 6.00 for a bottle water give me a break I was afraid to even touch the mini bar. The next morning i called down and asked for extra coffee cream and sugar. Well by the time it was time to check out i NEVER got it! Front desk staff didnt even ask how my stay was. I was unsure about taking the extra hr and thirty min drive from albuquerque, and i have to say it was not even worth it. My car got backed into so its obvious there is no security that drives the parking lot. I can not in good conscious recommend this hotel to anyone. It is no where near the standards of any Hilton that I have stayed in. The room was also small and uncomfortable, we left there and stayed at Sandia in albuquerque with a much nicer staff, room, and stay.l

• Stayed May 2012