New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #21 of 61 Hotels in Santa Fe
fort worth, texas
“Perfect!!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2011

We are VERY picky travelers. We found everything about this hotel to be perfect!! The rooms were very spacious, plush and clean. it was the kind of room that you walked in and immediately felt like you were at home.

My family went skiing during the day while i went to the spa and gambled in the casino. We ate at the buffet restaurant and the Mica Restaurant. They were both delicious with wonderful service. Hanna at the spa was extremely diligent and polite. The massage was great!

We found the front desk to be very fast and courteous and the maid service perfect!

Joy Freymiller from the Player's Club in the casino was very polite and helpful.

Last, Dan who is sending me all of the items I left at the hotel was extremely professional.

We have stayed at 4 and 5 star hotels all around the world. I would rate this one as one of my top 2 for quality, price and location. It was no more than 10 minutes to downtown Santa Fe, which was perfect for us.

We are already planning our next visit to this hotel!!

Melody Harlin

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
8 Thank mharlin
mkricherson82, Marketing Coordinator at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this review, April 28, 2011
Thanks for the wonderful review! We love hearing that our guests had such a great time! Here at Buffalo Thunder we strive to ensure that our guests are very well taken of and hearing it from you is the best compliment!

Thanks again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (469)
  • Turkish first
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2011

I stayed in December 2010 for two nights on a leisure visit and was very impressed. The room was not only beautiful and well appointed but very clean. We greatly enjoyed the casinos and the sports bar in the casino was a great place to catch some football. The front desk staff were great in helping me to get a key when I forgot mine. The hallways were clean and so was the front lobby. I did notice that the wallpaper was peeling slightly near the elevator, and we had an issue with our keys not working in the elevator, but it was fixed promptly. Housekeeping was fantastic and met our needs. One comment on room service...I ordered late in the evening, and it took a while for my order, and then it was not correct.

I also used the fitness facilities, which were clean and well stocked.

Overall, the resort is fantastic, the front desk people were helpful, and with a little tlc it could be 5 stars.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank jennhal
Dallas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2011

We had originally booked our stay in downtown Santa Fe, for the purpose of being able to reach Ski Valley promptly each morning. What I hadn't realized is how small the town of Sante Fe is, and how quickly you can get in/out of town to the outlying resorts. After staying one night downtown, we visited the Buffalo Thunder Resort and were so impressed, we cancelled our other reservations and moved to Buffalo Thunder. For the price of a cramped room downtown, we got a suite with a fireplace and a balcony. The service at the restaurants was typically slow. Since we were on vacation it didn't bother us much. Overall, this was a great experience, and this is where I will stay when I return.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank kivas-fajo
new mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2011

We had visited for a day in January and then returned FEB 12 & 13. Nothing else like it in New Mexico. Opulent.......fine layout. We had one night when the hotel was busy and one when it was much less so. Construction quality provided us a quiet room.
The weather was chilly, so we will come back and enjoy the covered balcony and the tennis courts and pool another time.

The casino had the nice array of slot machines and table games. Friends drove in tandem with us and also had an enjoyable time. My wife and I did not win money, but had considerable time at play with what we spent.

Impressions we left with........hmmm? The facility was exceptionally clean and the entire staff from bottom to top were warm and welcoming. Oops, one other. The restaurants and shops had modest pricing....unlike most.

7 Thank greenchilikid
England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2011

We booked one night at the hotel as a little get away, and REALLY liked the resort. We had gotten a great rate through an ad in the ABQ Alibi, so booked a night. We liked the ambience and the condition of the hotel, as well as the many eating and drinking establishments in the hotel. So much, we decided to stay another night. In order to book another night at the same rate we spoke with the 'Host', Idak. He was very friendly, personable, and accomodating, and gave us the room at the same promotional rate.

The rooms are very spacious, and each has a balcony. The beds are HUGE.

The only down part of the stay was that our first night was a Thursday. Being such it was great because we pretty much had the hotel to ourselves, BUT the hours of the restaurants and bars are flexible on slow nights. Friday night the whole place was hopping. Also, there is a Starbucks on site, but they never opened, or at least there was no staff present. We waited for close to 10 minutes to try and get some coffee, but no one ever came to the counter! Thank goodness for coffee makers in the rooms!

6 Thank Nemoandchina
mkricherson82, Marketing Coordinator at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this review, March 9, 2011
I just wanted to take a moment to thank you for your review! We really enjoy hearing from our guests whether they are satisfied or not. It always makes for a better day when they are satisifed though! We hope that you will come back to visit us again!!

Thank you.
Lubbock, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2011

My wife and I stayed here 3 nights over the Valentines weekend. We had a great trip. I would reccomend eating at the Red Sage, the food was excellent as was the service. Also, my wife had a spa treatment and left her wedding ring in the Spa, and one of the employees turned it into the Casino security you locked it in their safe until we could come claim it. I can't say enough about this employee who would do this for complete strangers. We enjoyed our stay very much, and will be going back to Buffalo Thunder in the near future. The only bad thing we came across was the last night of out stay the couple in the room next to us was 'celebrating' Valentines day and we could hear everything. So the rooms have a little bit thinner walls than we would like, but hey what hotel doesn't?

3 Thank Brad M
Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2011

Just returned from a 3 night stay at Buffalo Thunder. There were 4 adults and 4 kids ages 5-16, staying in 3 separate rooms. We picked the Bufflalo Thunder because according to the website, they have plenty of entertainment for both adults and children. I will break down various aspects of our stay:

Hotel: Very nice facility. Very clean, spacious, and pretty good location. 15 minute drive to Santa Fe, and about 45 minutes to the Santa Fe Ski Basin. The rooms were exceptionally nice with fireplaces, comfy beds, and nice bathrooms.

Casino: The casino was fun overall. Slots did seem to be really tight, but thats to be expected with any newer, expensive hotel. Played about 20 hours of poker. The poker room staff was very friendly and accommodating, one of the best I have ever encountered. The games were surprisingly soft and loose, especially the 1-3 NL Holdem and the 4-8 Omaha. We have much tougher home games than the games I played here.

Restaurants: We ate the breakfast buffet at Mica, which was really good for the price. $11 including your beverage. Also ate at Red Sage, which was great also. The bar staff here was very friendly.. great environment. The downstairs deli was ok, nothing great although there were some good deserts.

So you read the above and wonder why I would complain.. Here's why:

The property, especially the pool and arcade were packed with locals. The kids with us spent most of the time in the room because the pool was extremely crowded with people who weren't staying at the resort. There was keyed entry to the pool, but groups of children would wait at the door until it was open, and then they would pack in. Several of them didn't even have swimming suits, they just took off their clothes and swam in their underwear/boxers. Calls to management about this were unreturned. Very disappointing.

Also, I booked a 1 hour facial for my wife at the spa, which was over $150. Not complaining about the price, but the technician cut the facial 15 minutes short because she was "trying to make it to a party." No discount or anything. Again, calls to management were not returned. This was extremely frustrating.

So overall, parts of the stay were great. However, these two things left a bad taste in my mouth so I probably wouldn't return for another visit. There are just too many other places to spend my hard earned money and not have to worry about these types of issues. I understand that stuff like this happens, but when you are paying $150+ per night for a room, you expect a little better. It may have different if management had made any attempt to reconcile the situation, but they didn't.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family