“Location, location, vacation.”
Review of Inn at Vanessie

Inn at Vanessie
Ranked #28 of 62 Hotels in Santa Fe
Reviewed January 2, 2014

I've been to Santa Fe seven or eight times, each time staying somewhere new. I felt that I would eventually find the local charm, coupled with modern amenities, that Santa Fe seemed to promise.

And finally I've found that place. Vanessie is a stone's throw from the Plaza and the wonderful few blocks surrounding it, so its location is just about perfect - and as close to silent as an Inn can get.

The room was comfortable, artfully-decorated, with a vast and comfortable King four-poster. Nothing seemed out of place, and it a log fire was a welcome luxury. In order to sound somewhat objective, I'll note that the semi-outdoor hot tub didn't seem to have seen light this side of the year 2000, but it was fine once we brushed it off a little.

We had dinner in the restaurant, and everything that other reviewers say about the quality of the food and the entertainment is true - it was cheesy, contrived, and awesome fun. The food was excellent, particularly the scallops which were toasted to perfection.

This seems to me like the kind of place that visitors will return to time and again. It has that sense of being a home-away-from-home. I'll definitely be back.

1  Thank JonR71

Reviewed December 29, 2013

My girlfriend and I enjoyed a Christmas getaway at the Inn at Vanessie and enjoyed beautiful accommodations, good service, a couple of nice happy hours in the piano bar, and the convenience of a very central and walkable location. Highly recommend.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jstocktontx
Reviewed December 28, 2013

Ok so you've come to Santa Fe and you've chosen Inn at Vanessie. Somehow you were able to look past the cheese name, and some of the bad room photos, ( I don't know about all the rooms but my room " The Sioux" was wonderful. Those awful peach colored wall rooms, thank god, were not ours), and you've discovered what a charming hotel it actually is. Cliche or no I prefer my hotels have a more "south-western" name, Black Bear Inn, or something of the like would better suit and draw more customers; Vanessie to me says cheap Italian food…But look past the name seriously... That said, and I say this from experience, there are few better in Santa Fe. I've stayed at The Inn of the Anasazi, La Fonda, Loretto, and.. well, pretty much all of the others, and this is as good as it gets for the most part.. especially for the price... A few miss steps such as too many tables and benches but NO dresser ( I don't hang my sweaters, and because of all the unneeded furniture, we couldn't leave our suit cases in a place were we could access them easily, AGAIN REMOVE THE BENCH AND ROUND TABLE AND PUT IN A DRESSER!!!!(and a full length mirror while you're at it please), the hot water in the sink didn't work, but the shower was fantastic. In-Wall bathroom heater didn't work and floors were freezing, They chopped wood at 8 am for an hour waking us up, but none was delivered to the room creating a sort-of a false economy. ( we invested lack of sleep, but you didn't deliver the wood you keep us awake by chopping). If all rooms don't come with a fire place, be sure to request one that does… You my have to stock your own fireplace, but the charm of it was lovely. You will have to carry your door code with you as there are no keys this, like the lack of a dresser but the addition of tons of useless furniture, was a pain in the behind… However, all of the having been said; Would I stay here again? Perhaps, there are still one or two hotels in the 4 star range I've not tried (already covered the 5 star Anasazi last year and rated it, do check it out) … but when all others have been exhausted? Vanessie would be at the top of the list for a return for sure, Especially if they changed the name to Inn of the …… You fill in the blank.

Room Tip: Make sure to avoid the peach rooms, and get a room with a fire place.
3  Thank JoshuaSims
Reviewed December 24, 2013

We feel so lucky to have found this Inn. The room was clean and large and tastefully appointed and the manager, Hideko, was welcoming and gracious. The piano bar next door, Vanessies, was a special treat - don't miss a night of music there! We stayed for three nights and extended our stay longer because we hated to leave. Due to an illness we did have to check out early and MaryAnn was a big help to us. All in all, this place made us feel like we were a part of the Santa Fe spirit. We will be back.

Room Tip: Room 4 was quiet and very large with a wonderful fireplace.
1  Thank Bill T
Reviewed December 9, 2013

Living in ABQ, we like to spend the night in Santa Fe when we have occasion to go there for dinner. This was to attend a business dinner held there. The room was terrific--a mini suite--and very New Mexican in decor. We welcomed the fireplace on the cold night. Dinner was fantastic and we enjoyed the piano bar before and after dinner. Everyone was very friendly, but the service in the bar was extremely slow for us. They could have had more help there. A nice little breakfast was complimentary, served in the living dining room.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 24, 2013

We stayed for two nights in late November as only guests both nights. Beautifully decorated in Santa Fe style, but not the cheesy fake Indian you see so much. It was chilly and rainy, but they provide an extra heater to warm up the bathroom (which was very large). Robes, and good toiletries provided; wood-buring kiva with leather chairs made for comfortable cozy lounging. Breakfast served in restaurant (which a friend loves for its lamb dishes at dinner-he is a regular visitor to Santa Fe). Have to say that breakfast could easily be skipped as there are much better options nearby. We would stay again because of proximity to the Plaza and museums, shops, restaurants and the caliber of the rooms.

Room Tip: "Hopi" is large, first floor, accessible and close to parking.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank EatApple
Reviewed November 15, 2013

My wife and I went to Santa Fe for her birthday. I had decided to try a boutique hotel instead of the usual glossy soulless big hotel. The Vanessie was one of my best decisions. My wife and I both loved the place. The rooms were spacious, and in our case had a whole separate sitting area grouped around the wood burning fireplace. We were there in November and really enjoyed the fires.
For a small boutique facility, the common rooms were quite impressive. There is a good-sized restaurant, which is evidently quite popular because it was full most of the nights we were there. Since there are only a few rooms (17 I think) most of the patrons of the restaurant were not guests. In addition, there was a large bar-lounge area, which also attracts locals, with a grand piano. The two nights we went in there was a terrific piano player/singer who did requests, interacted with the audience and was a lot of fun.
The hotel is about three blocks from the beginning of the real downtown area, which is perfect.
If we go back to Santa Fe (and we probably will) we will definitely stay at the Inn at Vanessie

Room Tip: We had room 4, which was very spacious. Excellent temperature control, and on the ground floor. Th...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple