Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe
Ranked #24 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Reviewed January 2, 2011

My children and I just returned from 5 days of snowboarding and we cannot rave enough about Hotel Plaza Real. The staff, Mike and Rachel could not have been more friendly and accommodating from helping with us with restaurant reservations to prepaying for a taxi when we needed a ride back from Santa Fe Ski Basin. The hotel is situated 2 minutes from the square and in walking distance from almost all of the finest restaurants in Santa Fe. The rooms are a bit dated and there is no restaurant however I was told the hotel will be undergoing some renovations in the next few weeks and a restaurant will be a welcome addition. This hotel is Santa Fe's best kept secret, terrific service, amazing location, small price!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank PattiLevi

Reviewed January 1, 2011

My wife and I stayed here for New Year's Eve 2010. Room was a suite with couch and wood fireplace in one room and bed (great mattress!) in the other. TVs were outdated but we were out all night so did not care. No WiFi that they advertised. Clean rooms and bathroom. Room rate was high but average for Santa Fe. Convenient site for getting around the Plaza. Fireplace is a nice add. Will definitely being coming back.

2  Thank Jim_iqw
Reviewed December 30, 2010

The Hotel Plaza Real is a really wonderful place to stay in Santa Fe. It is 1/2 a block from the famous Plaza where you can shop until you drop and near some of the best restaurants Santa Fe has to offer. The hotel's manager (Mike) was extremely friendly and recommended some great places to eat since my wife and I were first time (definitely not last) visitors. The evening staff were also really nice when they came to our room to light our fire place. Our bed was extremely comfortable and the bath amenities (Sister Sky-sweet grass scent) could surely stand up to Aveda products. Just ask my wife if she like the lotion.

My all time favorite memory of the HPR, is the warm and fragrant scent of pinion wood buring in the lobby's fireplace. Gosh, when do we go back?

3  Thank Brian P
Reviewed December 28, 2010

Conveniently located in the heart of Sante Fe and about 1/2 mile from Canyon Road, the Plaza Real stands out immediately upon entering the lobby. If you are looking for the slick, trendy elegance of the W, this hotel is probably not for you. However, if stepping back in time through architecture that blends perfectly with the surroundings, offers a cozy warm ambiance and is managed by a staff that comes across as family is your aim; then the Plaza Real is an excellent choice.

The rooms, which line a beautiful court yard and are accessible by walkup above the first floor, are comfortable and offer a separate sitting area as well as a wet bar with refrigerator. There is a fire place in the sitting area along with a comfortable sofa and writing desk. The sleeping area which is offset from the sitting room is very comfortable and contains a large exceptionally comfortable bed. The bathroom as well as the remainder of the room was clean and well maintained. Free WiFi is available in the room as well as in the lobby and the lounge.

The staff truly stands out as exceptional. Most respectable hotels can claim competent and well trained, polite staff, but the team at the Plaza Real had that certain something that is hard to put into words. Although I had just met them upon registration I felt like I knew these folks for a long time. They were not only extremely knowledgeable, but genuine and always there to help or offer a suggestion when an inquiry required such. A staff member will come to your room and start a live fire in the fire place within a short period after you make a request with the front desk. I just can't say enough good things about this team.

I live in a heavily populated island off the Northeast Coast of the USA and am used to applying a somewhat calloused and critical criteria to hotel evaluation. In my opinion many hotels are grossly overpriced, and leave a lot left to be desired for your travel dollar. In contrast I'm extremely pleased to serve up such a positive review for the Plaza Real, not only because it is well deserved but because my spouse and I spent Christmas here and it has turned out to be an absolutely wonderful memory.

2  Thank gablack05
Reviewed December 26, 2010

I chose the Hotel Plaza Real for my Christmas get-away. I made the right choice. The Staff, [especially Rachel and Michael] was extremely cordial and made every attempt to accommodate my requests. The location was perfect for my needs. My room was very spacious and quiet and the fireplace in my living room was a real treat. I will surely book this hotel again.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
3  Thank DOR774
Reviewed December 21, 2010

GREAT PLACE TO STAY!!!
The hotel staff was the friendliest, most genuine group of folks you could hope for.
Located 5 mins from town center, quiet and convenient location, and free shuttle.
We stayed in a suite with a fireplace and a king size sleep number bed and slept great.
Big Smiles. We'll be back!
-Joe & Connie in NC

3  Thank JoeandConnie1996
Reviewed December 9, 2010

We've stayed here many, many times because of the great location within walking distance of almost everything downtown and the ample free parking. Rooms are nice sized and clean, and the staff are very helpful. I wish they would remodel the rooms to update them and make them less dark. I wouldn't hesitate to continue to stay there, but the rooms could use a facelift.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank art-n-stuff
HPR_Rooms_Manager, Front Office Manager at Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2010

Thanks for your feedback as it is the only way we can improve. While we have a strong reputation for outstanding service and location, we will utilize your comments as we prepare to update our guest rooms in 2011.