“An Unforgettable Bad Experience”

Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe
Ranked #23 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Reviewed May 5, 2009

The location is great - after that there is nothing to recommend this hotel based on our experience. Our Room 208 was dark, dated with a worn rug and use worn furnishings, in addition our Room had a stair case leading to other rooms, which made the room very cramped. The Room had no ceiling fan or other fan and it was extremely hot in the room until about 3:30am or 4:00am which is when we finally was able to fall asleep.  To get the room cool enough to sleep, however, we had to open not only the window on the alley, but also the window onto the common walkway outside our room and leave the drapes on that window open - unfortunately the window had no sheer curtains that would have provided us a modicum of privacy and my wife was concerned about security - but at that point we were so uncomfortably hot that privacy and security made no difference to us.  When pressed on the issue the following morning, they once again, as they had the done the evening before, told me about their problem of the one pipe system so that there was no A/C, only when I lost my temper and demanded a fan did they agreed to put a fan in my room. That was all that was needed to solve the problem, but that solution was not offered until I demanded a such a solution.   With the fan in the room my wife and I were able to get a nap Friday afternoon, although I had not planned to be sleeping rather than enjoying Santa Fe on Friday afternoon.  I am sorry, I just don't understand an attitude by the hotel that does not try to proactively make a guest comfortable - but, in effect, tells me I need to understand their problem, i.e. their one pipe system.  The solution was simple, could have been offered - but was not until  demanded.  They admittedly know about and encounter this problem twice a year, but took no action to solve the problem until I lost my temper. I will not ever again patronize the Hotel Plaza Real.  They can take comfort in the fact that I had an unforgettable bad experience at their hands.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
7  Thank Sanantonian_9
donaldvHPR, Reg. Front Office Manager at Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2009

Thank you for your feedback.
the HVAC system at Hotel Plaza Real is 100% up and running. Thank you for your patronage!

Reviewed May 1, 2009

This hotel is less than a block from the Plaza. With in walking distance to all the great restaurants. The room was always clean. The bed was very comfortable.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cbpetrusek
Reviewed April 13, 2009

Very comfortable, well appointed rooms on a courtyard, congenial places to meet with colleagues, and close to the plaza made this a good location for a working meeting. We especially enjoyed the pinon in the fireplaces to take off the chill.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
3  Thank Suzanne42
Reviewed March 14, 2009

This is a "little" hotel in the sense that you feel like you're in an old Spanish apartment complex. The rooms are located around a courtyard and feels like you're all alone. The staff was pleasant and very helpful. The location couldn't be better. Walking 200 yards or less gets you to more restaurants, shops and sights than you could want. The Plaza is no more than 30 or 40 yards away. Although you have to pay for parking (getting more common in cities like Santa Fe), the parking is underground of the hotel and very convenient to get to. I considered it a "convenience tax " that I was more than willing to pay. At least they tell you about it before you make reservations. The only drawback (a very little one at that) is that they have no breakfast facilities. I would suggest that they offer pastries along with their excellent coffee for those who just want to snack and run. Having said that, there are many restaurants from way upscale to burrito express within a block that offer great breakfasts. If you like to ski, this is a great central location with quick access to the slopes. All in all, a very nice accommodating place and personnel.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
5  Thank mcg6637
Reviewed February 13, 2009

My friend and I wanted something cheap and centrally located for our night in Santa Fe. The Plaza Real was perfect. Our room was about $110 a night plus $14 for parking. The rooms were nice, the little patios were really cute, the beds were comfortable and internet is free.

The front desk staff were really friendly and gave us a map and plenty of suggestions for places to eat and things to see and do. The hotel is right off the main plaza so you can walk anywhere. If I find myself in Santa Fe again this is where I'll stay.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank ktmae55
Reviewed January 30, 2009

Did not get anything advertised through website.
Room with a view, View of Library Parking lot.
Free Parking, had to go back & get it credited after being charged.
Welcome Gift , none given or offered.
Free Drink in Lounge, was told no longer offered.
Broken steps outside , dangerous, especially with icey surface.
Suite, small and outdated.
Could not get anyone to light Fireplace, guests are not allowed to light themselves.
Did not feel like front desk or management cared about guests.

Was very close to a nice Plaza, enjoyed walking it in the evening.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8  Thank mittdeb
donaldvHPR, Front Office Manager at Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2009

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback. I do apologize that your stay was not up to your satisfaction.
Unfortunately at we run certain promotions at different times of the year with an affiliate of ours, The Preferred Hotel Group. A comparable gift should have been offered to you at the time of check in. Unfortunately, due to the time of season, some of the property is under snow, as well as there may be some icy spots. I assure you that all hazardous areas are well marked and notifications are posted in the areas.

Also, for hotel safety, a staff member has to light the fireplaces in our suites. We provide this service from 7AM to 10PM

Again we are sorry your stay was not up to par, but by writing reviews, it helps our property tighten up all the loose ends. Thank you for your response and hopefully we can see you on a return trip to Santa Fe.

Reviewed January 5, 2009

The location is good, however, I would not recommend it for older people because of the outside stairs serving different levels of the hotel.

The couch cushion in the sitting area was ripped and exposed the inside. There was no shower curtain in the bathroom which made it necessary to request one, and the carpeting was in need of cleaning.

• Stayed: December 2008
8  Thank LondonMaryMary
donaldvHPR, Front Office Manager at Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2009

Thank you for your feedback. This information is always helpful for us as a hotel to make improvements.
If you plan on visiting us in the near future pelase feel free to contact the hotel directly and we would be more then happy to make arrangements for you to have a ground level room or have elevator access to your accommodations.

We thank you for choosing the Hotel Plaza Real as your home away from home while you travel and we look forward to seeing you in the near future! Thank you!