“Hacienda Heaven”

Hotel Santa Fe
Ranked #14 of 62 Hotels in Santa Fe
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Stay in the Hacienda & Spa part of the hotel ($15 fee extra per day)--it's like a museum with spa amenities that go well beyond the highest four star hotel expectations!! We arrived on the Rail Runner from Albuquerque, walked across the street to the hotel, a complex adobe structure. The hotel is full of museum-quality Native American artifacts--gorgeous pottery, rugs, sculpture. The concierge will help with day trips and dining suggestions. Every meal in Santa Fe, including at the hotel, was memorable. The nicest part of the Hacienda experience was crossing paths with a variety of amazing people. We had the most fun chatting with a couple from Liverpool.

Complimentary amenities: You'll love the shuttle service to Museum Hill, to Canyon Rd, and around town so you can plan your day accordingly, i.e., walk a few miles and take the shuttle when you get tired or just take the shuttle everywhere. You will receive a basket of fruit upon arrival, bottled water, handmade chocolates on the turned-down bed, appetizers and wine/beer in the evening, full breakfast in the morning, and a daily NY Times.

Other: Be sure to acclimatize before hiking at 7000 ft, and drink LOTS of water because the dry air causes dehydration. While we were visiting, temps varied from near freezing at night to 75 degrees during the day.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
PaulMargetsonGM, Owner at Hotel Santa Fe, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2012

Your kind words are greatly appreciated and we are grateful that you took the time to write to tripadivsor.com with your comments.

Many thanks!

kii thu wia‘‘ kanna thu wia - Our House is Your House

Write a ReviewReviews (1,717)

Reviewed October 28, 2012

As an Albuquerque resident, my husband and I take frequent weekend getaways to Santa Fe. This time, after we found a deal on Expedia, and we tried The Hacienda & Spa at Hotel Santa Fe. We stayed in a Fireplace King. The room was comfortable and the bedding was nice. The fireplace is gas, and even has a remote control to turn it on. Even though I knew this from the website, it was still a disappointment. I'm a die hard for real wood burning kiva fireplaces. The biggest disappointment was that there was no bathtub (shower only). This was especially disappointing in that I had checked the website pictures for a Fireplace King, and they indeed have a virtual tour of the bathroom that includes a nice soaking tub. When I inquired at the front desk, they said none of the Fireplace King rooms have tubs... only the suites have fireplaces. When I got home, I rechecked, and indeed the Fireplace King rooms have beautiful pictures of tubs. I suggest they find truth in advertising and change the pictures.

Overall service was less than I what I expected from a 4.5 star. Most the fireplaces in the common areas of the hotel were not lite. (We were there on a Saturday night... so if they were to regularly provide this type of ambiance, you'd expect it on a Saturday night. The butler service that they advertise is really a glorified bell person.

The morning breakfast exceeded my expectations. The evening reception was minimal and had wine, beer, coffee, tea, and one appetizer (puff pastry with mushroom and cheese).

The location is a bit of a bummer. I much prefer to stay where it's easy walking distance to the plaza and restaurants. The shuttle service is nice, although we didn't take advantage of it.

In my opinion, based on price, service, and amenities, I prefer other Santa Fe Hotels. I'm glad we tried this, but we will probably frequent one of our other favorites next time.

4  Thank Ramey

Thank you for the bathtub comment and we certainly need to change the bathroom photo/tour as soon as possible!

I am disappointed to learn you didn’t enjoy your stay. Please be advised that we do not automatically light all our fires if it is warm/sunny outside and October was such a balmy weather month!?

Also your comment regarding wood burning fireplaces is appropriately not allowed by city code (unless the building was constructed before 1986 +/-) - to conserve our natural resources/environment - we are only allowed ONE wood burning fireplace in each building!!

We enjoy being in the Historic Guadalupe/Railyard district only five to six blocks from the Plaza, but we understand if you prefer the hubbub of the Plaza! Sorry you didn’t take advantage of our London Taxis shuttle services!

kowaen mina so thuu puchi - Have a great day!

Reviewed October 26, 2012

I stayed at Hotel Santa Fe while in town for a retreat. The guest service is good, both in the hotel and at the Hacienda. The ladies at the front desk are sweet and helpful. And Eloy, who checked me in is a nice guy.

I felt safe as a lone traveler. The room was very clean, had plenty of towels, and felt homey. I slept deeply and well in the king bed with a downfeather comforter and down feather pillows. I was happy to find out that a complimentary yoga class is offered on Saturday mornings at the hotel because I was planning on going to a class. The class was well instructed by a lady named Swaren and yoga mats were provided.

The hotel lobby is posh, colorful, and welcoming. It is just a short walk to the plaza and to shopping. I pretty much walked everywhere and didn't have to drive much.

Now, the not so nice: there was an empty Pepsi bottle stuck in the tree outside my window. I don't know if it was there when I came or if it had been left there after, but I did notice it the second day I was there (Friday) and it was still there on Sunday when I left. (But I didn't mention it to the front desk and I had my "whisper" sign on the door handle the whole time - I don't like for people to come into my room when I am staying somewhere, so if I can manage it, I don't usually utilize room service, so room service wouldn't have been able to see it). The other not so nice thing was that on Friday evening when I came back from shopping, I couldn't find a place to park. I asked a gentelman that seemed to work for the hotel, who was placing cones in the parking lot, where I should park. He told me to drive around the lot until somebody left. I had to drive around the parking lot three times before I found a place to park and eventually found a place, but it was on the other side of the hotel, a five minute walk back to my room. This wouldn't have been a problem if it weren't for the fact that I had to pay an extra fee for parking in addition to the nightly rate of the hotel. Hotel Santa Fe, if you are going to charge a parking fee, please make sure there is going to be a place to park for all guests! Lastly, the lighting in my room was not good. There seemed to be no natural light from the Sun and the lighting seemed low in the room. I stayed in room 124.

Room Tip: The room I stayed in, room 124 was poorly lit and it seemed that the Sun didn't come through har...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Tanya L

With apologies for the Pepsi bottle which I hope we have found?! I am sorry you didn’t let us know and we would of course have taken care of it immediately.

Once in a “blue moon” do we have a parking challenge and I apologize for the brief inconvenience!

Otherwise, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and slept well.

kinna wachii xoum kowia - Peace, Love and Joy

Reviewed October 25, 2012

The Hotel Indian architecture was so well thought out, I loved all the Indian designs and details. It was a pleasure sitting in the lobby, going into the elevator, eating in the dining room...my eye was filled with cultural admiration, bright happy colors, art pieces, indian rug work, arch ways, wood beams and lighting sconces in the traditional Indian decor.
The rooms were clean and beautiful. The wonderful staff kept us serviced with all the necessities.
The shuttle service provided us with transportation to and from the Plaza where shopping and restaurants are located.
It was a delightful experiences. Thank you Shawnna Martinez for setting us up with a beautiful room, Thank you to Abel, Maria and Beatriz for great service in the food and Bar.

Reviewed October 20, 2012

We love staying at the Hotel Santa Fe in Santa Fe, New Mexico owned and operated by the Picuris Indian Tribe. We stay in the Hacienda and Spa section for numerous reasons, including my husband’s handicapped leg, which prevents him from walking long distances. The hotel is within walking distance of the Plaza and provides shuttle service within 1 to 2 miles, if needed. We also take advantage of the wonderful early evening complimentary wine and snacks as well as the really wonderful breakfast in the morning, also complimentary. The staff, from the front desk to the butlers in the Hacienda, are so accommodating, insuring that we have easy access to all amenities. They are always readily available and eager to meet our every need with a cheerful and friendly attitude. There are many excellent restaurants close by, but we prefer to dine in the Amaya restaurant located within the hotel. The food and service are superb and it offers unique entertainment on Friday and Saturday nights featuring highly acclaimed Ron Roybal, a Native American composer, flautist, and guitarist.

If you are looking for quality accommodations, superb service, and a relaxing stay, we highly recommend the Hotel Santa Fe Haciendas and Spa in Santa Fe, New Mexico. It’s truly one of the best!

Gary and Sandy Storey
Ridgway, Colorado

Room Tip: "Stay in the Haciendas and Spa, the amenities and services are well worth the difference in pri...
3  Thank Gary S
PaulMargetsonGM, Owner at Hotel Santa Fe, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2012

Dear Mr. and Mrs. Storey,

Your gracious and kind compliments are so wonderfully encouraging to all of us and we thank you so very much for staying with us and also for taking the time to write to tripadvisor.com.

We all look forward to your return visit - come back soon!

kii thu wia‘‘ kanna thu wia - Our House is Your House

Reviewed October 19, 2012

Booked this room for 2 nights via Priceline. Anyone using Priceline knows that you won't know the hotel until your price is accepted. I was looking for a hotel that did not charge for parking (as we had a car, and that can bump up the price considerably). On arriving, we found that there was a $15/day charge (H.E.A.A.R.T, health, education, arts, amenities, resources and transportation???) that I would like to have known about. There was no mention of it on the Priceline page, or the confirmation.

I, strangely, think that if a place offers free parking, free wifi, pool, etc., it should actually not be another charge that they put another name on. I was under the impression from Priceline that ("Hotel Freebies Available:* Free breakfast, free internet in room and free parking") would apply to us. However, that was not so.

It was still a nice place to stay, we never did pay for the breakfast, as I thought we could have a better comparable breakfast elsewhere (which we did! Clafoutis was fabulous and Tia Sophia was worth a visit). The shuttle was very efficient, the drivers could not have been friendlier, and we could not have asked for more from them. We usually walk every where we go, but the $15/day charge changed our minds (which our feet where extremely grateful!) They picked us up, dropped us off and when we called them to bring us back to the hotel, they were there within minutes.

Recommendations: Consider the $15/day charge; balcony rooms mean that there is a balcony, but you can't really do anything but stand on it looking out (it's as wide as a small chair), the bathroom (at least the one we were in) is pretty small, the door opened just wide enough to miss the toilet. The towels, shampoo, etc were very nice, I do so love a decent towel!

If heading to Santa Fe again, I would definitely consider!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank jperkin1

I am sorry that you missed the “HEAART/Resort Fee” on the Priceline site and it is never our intention to “hide” any fees. You will note that all our competitors charge a similar fee and we finally had to capitulate earlier this year - if one “cannot beat them then you have to join them” as including this Fee in our room rate would deter you from staying with us at a higher price??!! - when compared to the competition.

Nonetheless I am delighted that you took full advantage of our shuttle services and that your feet are also grateful.

Many thanks for staying with us and I am happy to note you would consider staying with us again on your next visit!

Please note the continental breakfast and an evening beer and wine service is included in the room rate at our Hacienda.

thu xonn chiimen iy a whachii wye wye - May Your Travels Bring You Back Soon

Reviewed October 18, 2012

My wife and I had long wanted to explore the Santa Fe area and we booked a room at the Hacienda on the basis of a Trip Advisor recommendation.It was a stroke of very good fortune. This beautiful, relatively small hotel is within easy walking distance of the famous Santa Fe plaza and all of the sights of this fascinating town, while being just far enough away from the congestion and noise of the main tourist areas. The staff was outstanding, with particular credit due the hospitality folks who made the complementary breakfasts (quite extensive) and daily Hacienfa happy hour events something to look forward to. The common facilities on the top floor include a large living room-like space with an outside deck overlooking the area. There is a small but well-kept pool and jacuzzi area as well.

There are lots of things to like about the Hacienda (including a good value), but its truly special attributes are the great location and the wonderful people. Enjoy!

Room Tip: The Hacienda facility is much smaller and has its own amenities. While the hotel appeared to be a ni...
3  Thank DiverDaveMinneapolis

We are so happy you were pleasantly surprised by your time in Santa Fe and at our Hacienda. Your kind words are greatly appreciated and we are so delighted to learn that our staff took such good care of you.

chenoho mima téwe yo tha - We thank you for staying with us.