“WONDERFUL BABY BOOMER PLACE”
Review of El Rey Court

El Rey Court
Ranked #23 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed November 23, 2010

What a Great place to stay! The rooms was small but how much time do you stay in your room in Santa Fe! The grounds beautiful. The free breakfast delicious! What a bargin! Hope to go back.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 21, 2010

Another friend chose this hotel & I'm glad we only stayed one night. Quaint is a fairly adequate description - old & outdated more accurate. It is "cute" but the room left a lot to be desired for the price. We were in Room 27.
First the bathroom; I'm just over 6' tall & had to squat in the shower since the showerhead is about about 5'5" tall - the water was very hot & I had to be careful not to scald myself. At least there were two separate sinks but the lighting was poor & as we were getting ready to leave we finally found the 1 electical outlet which is high up to the right of the fluoresecent light.
The carpet did not feel clean so I decided to skip my daily stretching routine that I do on the floor & wished I had slippers with me. The furniture is eclectic...meaning non-matching - some 70's dark wood hotel style bland furniture mixed in w/a couple of SW style chairs.
Thankfully the beds were comfortable but when my friend pulled her covers back I couldn't help noticing that the box springs were dirty. The AC/fan worked well to keep the room temperate.
The continental breakfast was wonderful & the main building is nice. The buildings & grounds look good w/flowers planted here & there but the bushes in front of the rooms were so close to each other you had to push them out of the way to get to your door. In one case a branch almost smacked my friend in the face as she was walked behind me.
I would say that this place has a lot of "character" & since I didn't price out the hotels for our stay I'm not sure how it compares to others. For future stays I would be willing to pay a bit more to stay closer to the plaza in a newer hotel.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jo Ellen F
cerrillos, Owner at El Rey Court, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2010

It has been our hospitality philosophy over the past 37 years that we have owned the inn to create an atmosphere where each accommodation has personality and individuality. We have original art in every room created by some 30 different artists from the region as well as unusual period furniture pieces placed to complement the interiors. Many rooms have hand painted murals, tile murals, hand-crafted headboards, hand-crafted armoires, tin light fixtures and much more in order to accomplish a residential and personal space for our guests to enjoy. We do not profess nor is it our desire to emulate the many chain type lodging properties.

Reviewed October 20, 2010

An older property on Cerrillos Road, the rooms are dated but the place has incredible charm. We particularly love the grounds and different types of rooms available. We've stayed here several times over the years and find it always delivers what we're looking for. Cerrillos Road is very busy and a chore sometimes to enter but there's no street noise coming into the property.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Vagabundos
Reviewed October 20, 2010

After reading all the glowing reviews, we were extremely disappointed in this motel. Yes, it's old and the grounds are certainly unique and probably charming when in bloom. However, the room was simply old and run down. Bedding was dingy and worn, as was the carpet. The room was very dark and worn. The bathroom was grossly outdated. The electrical outlets were limited and extension cords were being used. Even for those who like and appreciate "old & charming", the price for this room was ridiculous! When we expressed our disenchantment upon checkout, we experienced complete disinterest. We would never recommend this motel or stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank havapekes
cerrillos, Owner at El Rey Court, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2010

I would like to respond to the review of October 20,2010, "So Disappointed". A photo of the accommodation that was reviewed can be seen on our website under the title of "Accomodations" and then under the catagory of "Traditional". The photo is of the two-bedded accommodation which we think is very lovely and charming. We are sorry that these guests did not agree with us and the other guests who have enjoyed this very same accommodation. We would have been happy to offer an alternative accommodation for their two night stay.

Reviewed October 15, 2010

We generally only stay in B&Bs and small places, so i was reluctant to stay in a motel, but could not find another place that worked. This place is unusually lovely and warm for a motel. It is pretty to walk around - with tile work and pretty garden areas. Nice pool. Very friendly staff. Nice breakfast, too. I would recommend even if you usuually stay away from motels. Tip - if you don't like traffic noise, ask for a room in the back; it is on a busy road. It is also about 8 minutes from the downtown Plaza shopping area.

Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 11, 2010

The El Rey Inn is just perfect. Quaint, beautiful, clean and friendly. We stayed a couple nights in early October and the grounds were very pretty. Our room was really nice with everything we needed. The breakfast is nothing short of lovely - with the table settings and the classical guitar music playing, very calm and inviting. the workers were all above average kindness. There is a a realy big beautiful pool with a seperate hot tub / Jacuzzi which is in it's own room. There is also the largest hot tub I've ever seen, it was really deep and nice and hot - this one is set with an open sky, sitting area for several people and a fireplace! Gorgeous. There is a sauna in this area too. You can walk to restaurants and everything is within a couple miles. While there, drive the enchanted circle if you can, breath-taking!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 11, 2010

What a great place to stay when you're in Santa Fe!!! My wife and I had spent a hectic couple of weeks touring the mid west and we chose Santa Fe to 'chill out' for a few nights. We chose this place - mainly because of the good reviews - and we are so glad we did!!!! Everything about the place shouts western hospitality. From booking in to checking out, the staff couldn't have been more helpful. The rooms are cosy and clean, the gardens neat and relaxing, the swimming pool warm and inviting!!!!!
The only gripe most people seem to have is that it's quite away from the plaza. Well, yes it is, but it's only a short drive downtown and there is plenty of parking, but the easiest option is to take a bus. There's a stop right outside the hotel, so my wife and took the bus downtown. (As were both over 60 it was only 50 cents for a return ride!!!! Great value.)
If I were to return to Santa Fe, I would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple