“Not in Love...”

El Rey Court
Ranked #22 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 21, 2008

We stayed at the El Rey Inn with our 2 small children. We stayed in a 1 bedroom with a tiny annex bedroom room right off the road - it was dark and cave like - no control over the air conditioning - there must have been straw in our pillows - totally uncomfortable stay - cute pool , nice grounds, hot tub and simple breakfast. I would not stay here again - I think the rooms need updating. Our bathroom was ok- if you like old - my kids refused to take a shower as they thought it looked "gross'.
Perhaps the other rooms are nicer - we booked a few weeks in advance and I guess that was what was left. My advice.. Do not stay in the rooms right off the road.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank ColoradoCat1

Reviewed September 8, 2008

What an awesome place......beautiful grounds......lovely comfortable room......hated to leave. Great staff. My destination stay every time for Santa Fe.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 19, 2008

The El Rey Inn in Santa Fe’ was more than we expected…a very nice stay with helpful receptionists, clean and nice rooms in a lovely blooming garden, swimming pool, two different Spa and nice breakfast in a nice set. All of this at a more than reasonable price for Santa Fe.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 6, 2008

Stayed here two nights based on the reviews of this site. We loved it!
Originally we had booked just one night because there was no availability for two. But before checking into the other motel we stopped at the El Ray to see.We were happy to get one of the smaller rooms for about 1/2 the price of the King we had the second night.Both we great but we really liked the King courtyard room the best.This property is tuned in and makes a very good effort to do things the "right way" or should I say the way "things used to be". It's a neat old Route 66 motel that has been updated and maintained to stay a "full house" most of the time in a very stiff Santa Fe market.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 4, 2008

I stayed one night with my sisters at the El Rey. We booked a suite with two rooms for $160. I stayed in the back room and awoke to find I had flea bites all over my body! When I informed the desk about this, they apologized, but did not offer to even pay for the Caladryl I had to spray on myself for the rest of my vacation. Not to mention what it's like to put on swimwear that exposed flea bites on my wrists and ankles and neck and stomach and back. Awful! I will not stay at the El Rey again. Why pay such money for such an awful experience?!?!?

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
6  Thank JennerSun
EncinaRoad, owner at El Rey Court, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2008

The guests writing this review stated to our reception that they had been camping before their arrival at our establishment. Guests staying in the same accommodation had no problem before this party stayed with us and there was no problem in the same accommodation after this party checked out.

Reviewed August 3, 2008

After having lived in the area for over 3 years, I can't count the number of times we'd driven by the El Rey and commented that we should stay there. We finally decided to book, and I honestly think there's only one other property (closer to the plaza) that can compete. We'll be returning to the El Rey on a regular basis.

As many have commented, the El Rey is a classic family-owned property on Old Route 66. It is located immediately off of the busy Cerrillos Road, but the motel extends well beyond the road. This provides a quiet and solitude that is very unexpected.

We reserved one of the rooms in a newer annex (deluxe king). It was set far from Cerrillos Road, adjacent to the pool area. The room was incredibly expansive with a king size bed, two small custom benches, armoire with tv, small closet, small fridge, gas kiva fireplace, and unusually large bathroom. Outside the room, we had two chairs and table. The bathroom was complimented with a glass block design that let natural light in. The main room was dark (as others have commented), but it wasn't depressing. During the day, the windows let plenty of light in. At night, lamps were more than sufficient. I would prefer the original architecture and wood touches to artificial designs and lighting.

Throughout the El Rey's property, you'll find various gardens and sitting areas. The pool area was decadent, and somewhere we chose to spend hours of our time. Pools can be hard to find in Santa Fe, so this was a treat. Near the pool was a jacuzzi, which was also pleasant.

While the next morning confirmed that about every room around ours had been occupied, we never heard another soul when in our room. The bed was very comfortable, and the window-unit AC (which could be controlled via remote control and set to exact temperature) kept the room nice and cool.

El Rey provides a basic, average continental breakfast. The room in which it is served is very attractive, and many tables are located outside in various garden areas. The breakfast itself was nothing to rave about. Bags of bagels and english muffins are available for toasting. Canned fruits, boiled eggs, and a few cold cereals were on hand. A server walked to tables and dispensed purchased muffins. Cranberry juice, orange juice, and very (bland) coffee are served. The servers and bus boys, however, were very efficient and polite.

We'll stay here again--soon. During the winter, the fireplace will beckon. In the summer, the pool will beckon. Year-round, the originality and friendliness will beckon.

Stayed: August 2008
2  Thank Muriel12
Reviewed July 1, 2008

As a kid in the 1950's I traveled on old Route 66 from Chicago to Phoenix. We stayed in motels like this along the way. After all of these years I have a romantic memory of the trip which I am sure is far from reality. This motel which has been updated to today's tastes makes me think that the good old days are still here and not just a faded memory.
very large comfortable room with king bed. Beautiful gardens, pool hot tub. Nice free breakfast. I am an early riser (sunrise) and really enjoyed sitting in the garden listening to all the birds.
People complained about location, but it only took us about 5 minutes to get to the plaza.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple