“best part of Santa Fe is the El Rey Inn” 5 of 5 stars

El Rey Inn
Ranked #14 of 61 Hotels in Santa Fe
GreenLeadersGold level
Gilbert, United States
“best part of Santa Fe is the El Rey Inn”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

I have stayed at this hotel many times in the past, and it is the highlight of my business trips to Santa Fe. The inn is older and full of character, which is what I love most about it. The staff is accommodating, and if ever anything needs attention, I ask for David or Sylvia and it is taken care of immediately. Each room is different, with skylights, block glass, and corian counters. I request the same room and get it almost every time. Parking is fantastic at the door of your room and the outdoor hot tub is chlorine free and has lovely ambiance. Several restaurants are walking distance as well as a grocery store. The flowers in the spring and summer dribble from a rooftop garden.There are porch swings and rockers and tables and chairs for outdoor eating as well as fountains to promote relaxation. They have a lovely lobby with comfy sofas and chairs. I don't think I can say enough. I hear that they now have a refrigerator in each room. I just wouldn't stay anywhere else.

Room Tip: I have never had a bad room, they are just all different.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
4 Thank Lisa D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014 via mobile

We spent Christmas in Santa Fe with our two small children this year and the El Rey Inn was a highlight! The room was true to Santa Fe style, cozy and and inviting. The breakfast was great and the staff was helpful and kind. We will definitely be back!!!

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Lauratilley1
denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

We stayed at the El Rey Inn over Christmas and had an absolutely fabulous time. Our room was comfortable and we liked the skylight in the bathroom. The front desk people were very friendly and we especially enjoyed the warm hospitality of the folks who ran the breakfast room. We will be back!

Room Tip: Highly recommend the rooms in the Colonial Courtyard
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank reintje
Colorado Springs, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

We have been staying at the El Rey for a number of years and have yet stayed in a room that is like any other. The property is a collection of motels along Cerrillos Road about ten minutes from the plaza.

Room Tip: The farther away from Cerrillos Road the room the quieter.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Bobert1030
Jamaica, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

I've stayed at El Rey Inn many times, when traveling alone and also with my husband. It's a beautiful setting and convenient to downtown. When I return year after year to the same "home away from home" I like to feel that my comfort, safety and satisfaction really matter to the management. Unfortunately this was not the case during my recent visit in November.

In my room the pilot light in a gas heater wouldn't stay on despite maintenance twice re-lighting it, and I awoke to a frigid room at 1 AM, concerned about gas leakage and afraid to use the electric heater lest it cause a power outage, as I had been advised it might if left running. Though a kindly desk clerk brought extra blankets, reassured me about the gas, ok'd use of the electric heater and promised an adjustment on my room rate, none of my troubles were communicated to the manager, who next day met my complaints with skepticism and expressed no concern for the distress I'd experienced . She did offer to move me to another room but the electric heater was sufficient and as it was now mid-day and I was leaving next morning, I did not want to spend my remaining afternoon re-settling. The manager reserved making an adjustment on my room rate until she talked further with her staff, as if I might be making the whole thing up.

In addition to the heating problem, a missing lightbulb, a burned-out lightbulb, and a faucet that couldn't easily be turned off in the kitchen gave a further impression of casual standards.

At checkout, my roomrate for the icebox-night was reduced by half but there was no apology for my discomfort and distress, nor any offers that might assure my return as a guest in the future.

In the past, I've so enjoyed the quiet and privacy at El Rey, but I realize that despite its varied accommodations and beautiful grounds, El Rey is not an inn but a motel. Seniors traveling alone, like myself, may be better off in a full service hotel or a B & B where personal service is a priority.

Room Tip: The rooms in the Spanish Pavilion are quite elegant, like a real hotel. When my husband and I stayed...
Green Features: They are concerned about conserving water and advocate reuse of towels.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
9 Thank Joyce M
Terrell W, Owner at El Rey Inn, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
On behalf of our Inn, we offer our most sincere apologies for the inconvenience that you experienced on your recent visit with us. You are truly a valued guest and we do value your comments regarding your stay. Our Inn has been under the same ownership for over 40 years and we try very hard to make each and every guests feel welcomed, secure as well as comfortable. Please do give us another opportunity to serve you and let us deliver the level of hospitality that you are accustomed to experiencing at our Inn.
Oro Valley, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

We were greeted warmly and were upgraded to a nice room. The bed was very comfortable and the room was well appointed and clean with a micro and fridge. If you want a modern facility, this wil not be for you. I wanted a Santa Fe experience, and this was it. The breakfast was a nice warm tortilla with verde sauce as well as warm and cold cereals, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, toast and juices. There were no eggs and sausage or biscuits and gravy. The facility was very nice, although we arrived two days after a snow storm. The parking lot was a bit treacherous so we did not explore what appeared to be lovely grounds.

Room Tip: No elevators. Room was warm for a cold night.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Brandywine71
Santa Fe
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

I've lived in Santa Fe since 1985 and have often recommended El Rey Inn to visiting friends. I've always meant to treat myself to a staycation at El Rey. Finally a home repair necessitated leaving my house for a couple of days in Oct and Nov. Immediately I jumped at this opportunity to stay at El Rey. It is EVERYTHING I expected. It gives me that wonderful, homey feeling I experienced when I first came to New Mexico in 1976 (lived in Taos for several years, then to Santa Fe.) When you book your stay at El Rey, figure in at least an hour for"strolling through the gardens". I took about an hour during Oct and explored ALL the secret gardens, the intriguing paths, the second story views of the grounds. Breakfast in a lovely room with warm attention by Pete, Alice, and Lily - who've been there forever - with the guitar of Ruben Romero on the CD player filling the room and the inviting lobby - totally charming and the REAL feel of Santa Fe. Do NOT miss this treasure of Santa Fe!

Green Features: They participate in Santa Fe water conservation. There's a Back Yard Wild Life Sanctuary.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo